• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Commissioning Program

Killer2

TRONS!
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperGumbi
Oh yeah...PS...
I wasn't PLC but I think it is the best deal because of the pay issues.

Hell yeah, that has got to be one of the best reasons. If you get involved early on in college (after freshman year) you can make a killing.

Theres nothing like maxing out the 0-1 pay scale... expect maybe getting promoted and still maxing out that pay scale as well.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
^How about getting promoted twice and maxing out the pay scale?

There is no 'best' commissioning program. Each one has its pro's and con's, and it's really up to the individual to determine what they want to try for. The best that you can do is maximize your profile for whichever respective board will consider you. In other words, find something that you want, stick to your guns, and be the absolute best that you possibly can.

Speaking as someone who fell by the wayside on the long road from commissioning to wings, it's not always about being NPQ'd or not up to putting the time and effort in. In some cases (I like to think myself included), you can have all the heart and drive in the universe and just not measure up. Sometimes, it just ain't in the cards, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's from a lack of effort/committment.

I realize heyjoe did, in fact, say that the vast majority were for the aforementioned reasons, and that he was not implying that all were due to that. And while I'm setting the record straight, let me just add the following: Judging from what I've seen dealing with aviators from ALL type/model/series, the TRACOM made the right decision in my case, because I would have fucked it all away eventually. Like I said, sometimes it just ain't in the cards.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
There is no best, each one has pros and cons.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing...but I also got picked up on a relative longshot (MECEP).

BTW, I wouldn't make a decision based solely one what is "easiest" and what lets you party the most in college. NROTC has me on campus by 0530 Monday through Friday, and the PT program is one of the toughest I have seen anywhere for organized PT; maybe I am drinking the kool-aid on this, but I like to think that it will do good, if not for me, then for the Marines I'll have under me.

Crowbar

None
There is no best, each one has pros and cons.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing...but I also got picked up on a relative longshot (MECEP).

BTW, I wouldn't make a decision based solely one what is "easiest" and what lets you party the most in college. NROTC has me on campus by 0530 Monday through Friday, and the PT program is one of the toughest I have seen anywhere for organized PT;

You said it. Each program has a target audience. Find the one you fit into and that's probably your best bet. I was also MECEP and had 0530 PT 3 times each week, and some semesters, we also had drill at 0500 the other two days a week, right alongside the NROTC students.

Also realize that if you pick a school based on the current atmosphere, a new CO/XO/MOI/AMOI can turn things around in no time. Find a couple of factors important to you and pick a school based on that. For me, I picked location and football and I wouldn't change a thing.

You don't have to wear a uniform to classes, you can grow an out of regs beard during the school year, you're not under constant scrutiny and evaluation like you would be in the academy/rotc, and you get treated like a human being 46 weeks per year.

So if I were to go NROTC then I would get to wear a uniform through out the school year?

Is there pay for NROTC?

SO let me get this strait,
PLC: six weeks of OCS training each summer for 4 years w/ monthly pay, possible flight contract from the beginning, no uniform during school year, TBS after commissioning, flight school after TBS
NROTC: one day (how many hours?) per week and 6 weeks each summer with a fleet unit for 4 years, six weeks OCS, w/ pay(?), no chance of a flight contract until after first year, naval uniform during the school year, TBS after commissioning, flight school after TBS

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
So if I were to go NROTC then I would get to wear a uniform through out the school year?

At most units you only wear your uniform once a week. A few NROTC units are at schools that have a Corps of Cadets or some similar unit. At schools like that you get to wear a uniform everyday.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
PLC: You are a regular civilian until you graduate college and commission. You would attend two six week sessions of OCS for 2 summers -or- you would attend one 10 week session of OCS (PLC-Combined)

OCC: You are a regular civilian until you graduate college, then you would go to 10 week OCS course and commission immediately thereafter.

NROTC: You go to a college (with or without a scholarship) and do whatever the NROTC unit has you doing there. For example, Marine Options at my school are there M,W,F at 0530 for Marine PT and T/Th at 0530 for Navy stuff. Your mileage may vary at your university. You would have Navy uniforms (Khakis and Service Dress Blues and Whites when you are an upperclassmen) and you would wear them to class on certain days. You would attend one 6-week session of OCS the summer of your junior year, you would commission after graduating college.

Keep in mind that in PLC and OCC you are on your own program for the most part (you will have an Office Recruiter guiding you to some extent - your mileage may vary). NROTC is much more strictly regimented in comparison - but this is not necessarily a bad thing, it means that you will be starting your professional development before your peers going the other two routes. You will have guidance and mentorship from active duty (meceps) and a Marine Officer and Staff NCO (MOI & AMOI respectively) to guide you as well.

You are mixing up the Navy and Marine Corps on this.

Oh yeah, PLC - you would only get paid for the 1.5 months each summer you were there (Pay is as an E-5). After paying for all the stuff you are issued you aren't going to come away a millionaire. NROTC you will get a scholarship to include book fees paid for, and you will receive a monthly stipend.

Is there pay for NROTC?

SO let me get this strait,
PLC: six weeks of OCS training each summer for 4 years w/ monthly pay, possible flight contract from the beginning, no uniform during school year, TBS after commissioning, flight school after TBS
NROTC: one day (how many hours?) per week and 6 weeks each summer with a fleet unit for 4 years, six weeks OCS, w/ pay(?), no chance of a flight contract until after first year, naval uniform during the school year, TBS after commissioning, flight school after TBS

Sniff, sniff somebody jerking everybody off. :) Nice run SOG.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
maybe I am drinking the kool-aid on this, but I like to think that it will do good, if not for me, then for the Marines I'll have under me.

At least you realize it.:icon_smil

Some of the best officers I have dealt with are the Marines that are....wait for it....well rounded. But hey, to each their own.

VAmookie

Another option, which I actually think is the best option....

Enlist after freshman year of college, do 90 day reservist program (get paid) go to sophomore year, get air contract and go to PLC jr (get paid), come back for junior year, after which you go to PLC sr (get paid) come back to complete senior year of college then commission.

All the while you are accepting FAP and CTAP and since you're a reservist with a PEBD after your freshman year, you will not be hurt by taking CTAP.

I would say this would give you the most money AND the most freedom. Best or not... to each his own

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
^^ I hate to disagree with you my friend, but let me add my perspective on this option. Why be a 90-day reservist? If you choose to be an enlisted Marine, do it for the right reasons. Do it to gain experience as an enlisted Marine and earn money for college. If you become a 90-day reservist you will show up to your unit knowing nothing about your MOS. I've dealt with a couple 90-dayers... and I just can't understand where they are coming from. We certainly can't put them to much use at the unit. Furthermore... if you're going to be an enlisted Marine, wouldn't you want to learn your job and have that under your belt? 90-dayers haven't even been to MCT. Words like "perimeter", "trip-flare", and "Fireteam" mean nothing to them. What happens if you get deployed and only have minimal exposure to your occ field?

IMO... if you're going enlisted complete the training so you can contribute to your unit. You will find that this will make you a more "well-rounded" Marine. I know people like to throw that phrase around a lot but it holds true. Besides, you'll still rate the above mentioned benefits, FAP, MCTAP, and the GI Bill.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
What's a 90 day reserve Marine? Obviously, I get the 90 day part, but is that their total obligation/commitment? If so, what's the point?

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
What's a 90 day reserve Marine? Obviously, I get the 90 day part, but is that their total obligation/commitment? If so, what's the point?

I couldn't agree more. A 90-day reservist is a Marine that completes boot camp, however doesn't move on to complete MCT/SOI or their MOS school. They merely show up at their reserve unit and receive OJT with the option of going to their MOS school over the summer. Their committment is the same as any reserve Marine, usually a 6x2. Without their job training its hard to find a place for them. The 90-day reserve Marines I've talked to that have gone on to go to OCS did it the next summer, opting out of MCT or MOS-training. I figure, whats the point of going enlisted first if you're just going to go straight to OCS the following summer?