• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best cell phone service . . .

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
....So apparently the hospital will at least have some service, unlike now where it just causes my phone to zap my balls at full power.

Uhhhh...just where the hell do you keep your phone?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm pretty sure Vz is still CDMA.

I've been told we're getting Verizon and ATT repeaters installed at KNIP "soon." So apparently the hospital will at least have some service, unlike now where it just causes my phone to zap my balls at full power.
Said by a guy who's been riding around on top of various radars most of his professional life; your cell phone isn't doing anything the 60B or AEGIS hasn't already done.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Said by a guy who's been riding around on top of various radars most of his professional life; your cell phone isn't doing anything the 60B or AEGIS hasn't already done.

My SPY time is limited. Water hours and broken fin stabilization systems are more my speed.

I've always wondered how much energy comes off the top of the dipole (or whatever we call the array on the MMR). I'm sure some VAQ nerd will come along shortly and explain.

I still can't fathom how the connection is made but don't really want to know any details....

It's not that hard to get. I put phone in shorts pocket. Pocket is located adjacent to my twig and berries. I go into hospital and phone goes to full power trying to get a signal. New race of human is created.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've had Verizon since mid 2001, when I got my first cell phone and started college. Service has been solid basically the entire time since, to include all the various places the Navy has sent me. One exception would be my current home address in rural NV, which has spotty signal coverage, but as soon as I get within 20 miles of Fallon or Reno, it is back to normal.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
VirginMobile just dropped their prices while increasing the amount of data: formerly $40 for 4GB but now offering: $35 for 5GB data, $45 for 10 GB data (both are unlimited text and talk)

Re-read the ad: unlimited was for a music plan and not data. My bad.

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I dumped at&t two years ago when bill went over $200, been with TING ever since. Ting is À la carte, you only pay for what you use. With ATT I was racking up 15000 useless roll over mins!
With ting you can buy either a Verizon or a Sprint phone and use that network. My bill for 3 phones went from $200 to $70, average but I do not use a bunch of data either. But since I do not use a lot of data, no reason to pay for a huge data plan!
The only cheaper phones plans are republic wireless which uses sprint and also uses Voice over wifi technology. but those plans are for guys who want smart phones, but do not want to pay for any data.

After over a decade with Verizon, wife and I are slowly making the switch to Republic. I'm tired of the $150+/month cellphone plan. With Republic, we each will get 2gb of data and unlimited everything else for $30/line. Wifi is mostly available free everywhere, home/work/panera. Similar data plan with Verizon was over $120. There is some growing pains with learning a new phone and system, but nothing that is a deal breaker. At the moment they don't support Apple phones, but they do have the latest Android phones (Google, Motorola, Samsung, etc). Also, most of their customer support is community based, meaning you post your issue(s) to the Republic user community and the community answers your questions. Response time is surprising fast too. I think that is part of how they can get away with such low rates, no call-centers, no retail locations.

Last edited:

DesertRooster

The King of Nothing
With DirecTV and AT&T since AT&T bought DirecTV you can get an unlimited data plan up to 22GB(Then the speeds slow but I've never been even close) for about 100$ a month

Bergers2short

None
Google Fi - $20 per month plus $10 per GB of data. Need to use a Google Nexus phone, but no contract, free international roaming, fairly advanced phones (android only) - hard to beat. Excellent coverage.

It's a longshot that you'll see this in time, but any chance you or anyone else has a google fi referral code? I'm taking advantage of their cyber monday deal and would rather give credit to someone on airwarriors...

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Brother in law signed up for the Verizon unlimited plan, now we have 5 people on, with a mil discount and it’s <$40/person for unlimited everything. We just Venmo him every month.

Highly recommend it.

exNavyOffRec

Brother in law signed up for the Verizon unlimited plan, now we have 5 people on, with a mil discount and it’s <$40/person for unlimited everything. We just Venmo him every month.

Highly recommend it.

Just makes sure Verizon works in your area, of course this goes for any cell provider when you are switching.