• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best cell phone service . . .

exNavyOffRec

T-Mobile just went to unlimited data on their plan(s).

I think it really depends on what features you want and which carrier offers you the best coverage for where you need it. For example, when my parents come over to my house they get no signal on AT&T so there's no way I'd be able to use AT&T. Verizon has the best signal at home, but for international coverage it sucks. You need to figure out what is best for your circumstances.

I forgot about that, for the longest time when I had a work phone with Verizon I had essentially no signal at my house, unless I was on my back deck, which is fine during the summer but sucks during the winter. I would go 1 mile down the road and would have no issues.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How about Verizon coverage overseas (Europe) ???

Historically, Vz iPhones have been sold in an unlocked config if you're using a Sim card. Since Vz doesn't use a sim card (CDMA, as others have mentioned), they don't feel threatened. What does this mean? You can take your Vz iPhone to the EU and buy a cheap Sim card and plug it into the iPhone and it will eat the Sim card minutes rather than your Vz international minutes.

I believe this is still the case, but I'd check with the sales people (or the internet) to confirm. Personally, I've been very happy with Vz since 2001....unless I'm onboard NAS Jax. But no one's phone works there, so it's a wash.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
T-Mobile is fair in J'ville. Spotty coverage downstairs at my house, but fine upstairs. It works great in large metro cities and no so well in the suburbs. Surprisingly, it worked great in North Ft Hood, Texas! Unlimited data was the shiznit and 14 GB of tethering meant I was always able to use my Surface Pro on the internet. I kept streaming to my phone.

Overseas, particularly in the sandbox, the T-Mobile international plan shines. I get the same unlimited data and 14 GB of tethering each month. Texts are free. Calls to the states are $0.20 per minute. Every country I have been to in the sandbox has provided instant service getting off the plane through T-Mobile partners.

Oh yeah, NAS Jax and to some extent, Cecil Field are cell phone black holes; especially for T-Mobile.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh yeah, NAS Jax and to some extent, Cecil Field are cell phone black holes; especially for T-Mobile.
Most large military bases are cell coverage black holes because they're usually in an area of low density cell towers, and there aren't any towers on base.

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
I dumped at&t two years ago when bill went over $200, been with TING ever since. Ting is À la carte, you only pay for what you use. With ATT I was racking up 15000 useless roll over mins!
With ting you can buy either a Verizon or a Sprint phone and use that network. My bill for 3 phones went from $200 to $70, average but I do not use a bunch of data either. But since I do not use a lot of data, no reason to pay for a huge data plan!
The only cheaper phones plans are republic wireless which uses sprint and also uses Voice over wifi technology. but those plans are for guys who want smart phones, but do not want to pay for any data.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dumped at&t two years ago when bill went over $200, been with TING ever since. Ting is À la carte, you only pay for what you use....

I was just going to ask if anyone had any experience with Ting, I know they get good reviews for customer service and I was thinking about switching to them when I finally get a smartphone.

How have you found their coverage?

robav8r

None
Contributor
I was thinking about switching to them when I finally get a smartphone.

Flash, we all know you're a little behind the times (especially with your politics), but Jesus man, you don't have a smartphone? YHGTBFSM !!!
:)

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I was just going to ask if anyone had any experience with Ting, I know they get good reviews for customer service and I was thinking about switching to them when I finally get a smartphone.

I used Ting for several years in San Diego. I love the price plan and I always ended up spending less than half of what I'm spending now using Verizon. The problem is that Ting uses Sprint towers and their coverage sucks in San Diego. Finally got tired of it and dumped them for Verizon a year or two ago. Other problem with Ting was that international coverage was not really an option. I turned on all of the international options prior to going to Central and South America only to find that they didn't support those countries.

Of course all of this may have changed in the last year or two, but that's my two cents. I would swap back to Ting in a heartbeat if they offered Verizon coverage.

exNavyOffRec

I dumped at&t two years ago when bill went over $200, been with TING ever since. Ting is À la carte, you only pay for what you use. With ATT I was racking up 15000 useless roll over mins!
With ting you can buy either a Verizon or a Sprint phone and use that network. My bill for 3 phones went from $200 to $70, average but I do not use a bunch of data either. But since I do not use a lot of data, no reason to pay for a huge data plan!
The only cheaper phones plans are republic wireless which uses sprint and also uses Voice over wifi technology. but those plans are for guys who want smart phones, but do not want to pay for any data.

So with TING if you call customer service do you get some woman yelling at you with an asian accent? :D I just couldn't resist....

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash, we all know you're a little behind the times (especially with your politics), but Jesus man, you don't have a smartphone? YHGTBFSM !!!
:)

Not only do I not have a smartphone but I still have my 9 year old 'slider' phone. Why? I am not a Luddite and while I admit it is a great conversation starter when I whip it out, the big reason has been the cost. I haven't been able to justify the cost of a smartphone, ~$600 a year at a minimum, when I can't even use it most of the day. I got a mini iPad with cell service 2 years ago and use that a lot like a smartphone, and only $20 a month pay as I go, and am finally to the point where I can probably justify a cost of a smartphone too if I use a service like Ting.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Google Fi - $20 per month plus $10 per GB of data. Need to use a Google Nexus phone, but no contract, free international roaming, fairly advanced phones (android only) - hard to beat. Excellent coverage.

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Its the same coverage as either sprint, or (GSM) Verizon. If Verizon has better coverage in your area, buy a phone that works with Verizon and TING will connect to their networks. You have to pick sprint or Verizon.

I do not have any issues with coverage locally (Hampton roads) and when I travel domestically I do not seem to lose coverage unless in a area that you would expect to lose it in. I have a Sprint Iphone 5. But when its time to buy new phones, ill prob buy a Verizon phones. Verizon seems to have better service in the middle of the Chesapeake bay and I fish there often.

Last edited:

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

I used Ting for several years in San Diego. I love the price plan and I always ended up spending less than half of what I'm spending now using Verizon. The problem is that Ting uses Sprint towers and their coverage sucks in San Diego. Finally got tired of it and dumped them for Verizon a year or two ago. Other problem with Ting was that international coverage was not really an option. I turned on all of the international options prior to going to Central and South America only to find that they didn't support those countries.

Of course all of this may have changed in the last year or two, but that's my two cents. I would swap back to Ting in a heartbeat if they offered Verizon coverage.
Sprint now offers GSM service, might want to check it out.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm pretty sure Vz is still CDMA.

Brett said:
Most large military bases are cell coverage black holes because they're usually in an area of low density cell towers, and there aren't any towers on base.

I've been told we're getting Verizon and ATT repeaters installed at KNIP "soon." So apparently the hospital will at least have some service, unlike now where it just causes my phone to zap my balls at full power.