• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Beretta 96FS Opinions?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only true safety or lack of one is between your ears, regardless of weapon.
+ Rep. I am leery in a theoretical sense of the Glock's so-called "safeties" in Condition I carry, but it's academic because I don't have a concealed carry permit. My main concern is the 5-pound trigger pull if you catch that trigger safety "just right."

That said, there's a reason the SIG decocker is coupled with a 12-pound double-action trigger pull; that's a safety in itself. And there's nothing "old school" about safeties, either. People were carrying double action revolvers with no safeties long before John Browning's day. The primary reason behind the safety on many early autos is that they were single action only and thus designed to be carried "cocked and locked."

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I owned the 96FS Brigadier (heavy-duty slide) for a few years before enlisting. I shot a few thousand rounds through it with no jams. It was great for target practice and I had no complaints. I can't comment on accuracy, because my shooting skills aren't that great. It is a heavy pistol, very heavy actually, especially with 10 .40 cal rounds in the magazine.

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
You're just finishing HS and you are old school?

Touche`

I don't know why I feel more comfortable with a safety switch on the weapon. I handle weapons safely, I just appreciate that extra level of security.

Thanks for the replies guys!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The only true safety or lack of one is between your ears, regardless of weapon.

Agree 100%. I got the glock because in reality, if someone breaks in my apt or I need to draw in an emergency situation, I don't want to spend that split second thinking about a safety or disengaging it. I want to send rounds downrange.

As I am using my glock mainly for home protection/range shooting, I am not as concerned about a mechanical safety as I would be if I intended on carrying it with me all the time or other such uses.

I am an absolute amateur, but this is just my .02

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Agree 100%. I got the glock because in reality, if someone breaks in my apt or I need to draw in an emergency situation, I don't want to spend that split second thinking about a safety or disengaging it. I want to send rounds downrange.

If you practice with the weapon in question enough to use it properly in a defensive situation...you won't spend a split second doing it. It's part of drawing the weapon, not an "in addition to".

Bottom line...said it before...say it again. What you shoot best is a function of what you are comfortable with. Get what you shoot best.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Beretta is shit. Huge fat grip (on a 9mm, wtf), slide-mounted safety, and a slide design that gives it goofy recoil properties.

Sigs, 1911s, XDs, and Glocks are all pistols I would seriously consider over anything made by Beretta (not necessarily in that order).

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
The Beretta is shit. Huge fat grip (on a 9mm, wtf), slide-mounted safety, and a slide design that gives it goofy recoil properties.

Sigs, 1911s, XDs, and Glocks are all pistols I would seriously consider over anything made by Beretta (not necessarily in that order).

You do bring up a great point. If the OP has large hands and does not plan to ever carry the weapon, than the size of the Beretta shouldn't be an issue. But you are absolutely correct in saying that it is a very large weapon compared to the other pistols in it's class as a duty weapon. Just compare an M9 to a Sig P226 or a Glock 17---both are MUCH thinner and have the same, if not higher capacity (the Glock will carry 17+1 I believe).

Beretta has recently made a smaller pistol called the PX4 which has gotten some great review. It is smaller as well.

I was a little hung up on getting a manual safety when I got into shooting a couple of years ago. Never bought a combat pistol with the feature and don't regret it one bit. Once you shoot a Glock or Sig, you'll understand. Once you are comfortable shooting it, it won't matter, JUST KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT.

....off the soap box......

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only problem I have with Sig's is their lack of a safety. The decocker is nice, but I also would like to have a mechanical safety. Maybe it's just because I'm old school, but that rules out Glocks and Sigs.

So, if I used 9mm Hollowpoints, vs. .40 S&W are the characteristics similar? Are both similarly accurate?

SIGs have 4 internal safety mechanisms that are extremely reliable. They don't have a "lack of safety". What they do lack is the external switch safety, like a Beretta 92FS. In my opinion, and it is shared by most in the gun world, an external safety on a DA/SA firearm is absolutely worthless. The only reason you should ever need a safety lever on a handgun is if it is SA only, such as a 1911.

As for 9mm vs .40, when it comes to high-quality defensive ammo with a good hollow-point design (Ranger, Gold Dot, etc), there is virtually no difference between 9mm, .40, and .45. The stopping percentage of all three in Winchester Ranger-T (regarded as one of the most effective handgun ammunitions on the market) are nearly identical. Now, if you're talking FMJ, that's another story...

utak

I don't know why a lot of people get their panties ruffed up because "that automatic pistol doesn't have a safety, evil, evil!" Revolvers have been around for like forever, and they don't have safeties.

Berettas are a piece of sh*t. I have a SIG P226R in 9mm, and that thing is a beauty. It's deadly accurate, very ergonomic grip, and the single action trigger breaks like glass.

One of my buddies recently purchased a SIG P229R in 40 cal. Holds 12+1. I do admit it's a bit heavy for its small size, but that thing is very accurate. Plus, you can drop in a .357 SIG barrel and voila, you have a gun that can shoot both types of bullets. Also, if you buy from SIG, you can get a military discount. They got great customer service.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
As a Gunner's Mate once tole' me:

"Let me tell ya about yer Beretta, Sir. I'd piss on it."

So I took his advice.

And then I sold it.

Case closed. :)