• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Beretta 96FS Opinions?

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
I just got back from shooting the Beretta M9, and contrary to what most people have said, I really like the feel of the gun, it fits my hands, all the controls are easy to reach, and it seemed to shoot better than I do.

What are y`all's opinions on the Beretta 96FS? Seeing as it is chambered for .40 S&W it seems like that would be more accepted seeing as almost all complaints about the M9 stem from it's 9mm chambering...

MasterBates

If you want to get something that is similar (read-same) as what you will fly with..

SIG P229 or P226 (forget which one is the M11)

I like the SIG better.

Not a fan of the Beretta.

9mm is a decent Self Defense round, IF YOU USE GOOD AMMO.

9mm Ball is not good for anything besides paper punching, but beats a sharp stick.

I would pick a model that allows you to use 40S&W, 357Sig and 9mm with a barrel and mag change. More versatility. 9mm for cheap practice, 40S&W for defense, or 357 if you feel like paying the coin, or the price comes down.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
and contrary to what most people have said, I really like the feel of the gun, it fits my hands, all the controls are easy to reach, and it seemed to shoot better than I do.

Sounds like you've heard the opinions...Bottom line? There is nothing mechanically or fundamentally flawed in the Beretta so if you like it and shoot it well...there you go.

Only additional thing I would point out is that it is a fairly large duty pistol. If you are interested in concealed carry...I would look elsewhere...or invest in bulky jackets...;)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or become the squadron fat guy..

I can make a Hicap 1911 disappear.

All right...where is it???? :eek:

NudeFatGuy.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to get something that is similar (read-same) as what you will fly with..

SIG P229 or P226 (forget which one is the M11)

I like the SIG better.

I would pick a model that allows you to use 40S&W, 357Sig and 9mm with a barrel and mag change. More versatility. 9mm for cheap practice, 40S&W for defense, or 357 if you feel like paying the coin, or the price comes down.

SIG P228 is the M11. Compact 9mm. Not being manufactured anymore but used ones are available. The P229 is the same gun with a machined steel slide (as opposed to stamped steel) to deal with the higher pressures of .40S&W and 357 SIG. I have a 229 and a 226 and both shoot better than I do. The 229 can shoot either .40 or 357 SIG with a barrel change, and there are aftermarket barrels chambered in 9mm as well. These will also require different mags, though.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I just got back from shooting the Beretta M9, and contrary to what most people have said, I really like the feel of the gun, it fits my hands, all the controls are easy to reach, and it seemed to shoot better than I do.

What are y`all's opinions on the Beretta 96FS? Seeing as it is chambered for .40 S&W it seems like that would be more accepted seeing as almost all complaints about the M9 stem from it's 9mm chambering...

I'd say that if you like the M9/92FS, just stick with 9mm as well. There is nothing wrong with the round in terms of self defense. If you plan to keep it around the house, just make sure you buy quality hollowpoints for a self defense round. You will not only have an effective firearm, but more money to put holes in paper at the range.

Only use FMJ/ball ammo for the range.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
USMC just procured 20,000+ M9A1's in 9mm with the integrated rail to replace legacy M9's - and is a commercial off the shelf item from Beretta USA...

Looks affordable, reliable, and may well be a standard for years to come.

If you have girlie hands this pistol may not be for you - but it's a hell of a value at $500-$600.

M9A1.jpg

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
If you have girlie hands this pistol may not be for you - but it's a hell of a value at $500-$600.

For 500-600 bucks you can get one heck of a better gun than the 92FS. My glock was only $450 and I like it a lot better than the 92FS and you can get a Springfield XD for less than $600.

snake020

Contributor
Owned a Beretta 92FS for a couple of years, sold it to an AFROTC cadet in '05. Bought a SIG P229 9mm and have no intent of ever selling.

In defense of the Beretta it was reliable and fairly consistent, but the SIG fits my hand better, I'm more accurate, and overall it's a better feel.

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
The only problem I have with Sig's is their lack of a safety. The decocker is nice, but I also would like to have a mechanical safety. Maybe it's just because I'm old school, but that rules out Glocks and Sigs.

So, if I used 9mm Hollowpoints, vs. .40 S&W are the characteristics similar? Are both similarly accurate?

snake020

Contributor
The only problem I have with Sig's is their lack of a safety. The decocker is nice, but I also would like to have a mechanical safety.

IMO, mechanical safties are worthless and just get in the way. Don't point at what you don't intend to fire at.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
The only problem I have with Sig's is their lack of a safety. The decocker is nice, but I also would like to have a mechanical safety. Maybe it's just because I'm old school, but that rules out Glocks and Sigs.

So, if I used 9mm Hollowpoints, vs. .40 S&W are the characteristics similar? Are both similarly accurate?

Wow, your approach to "safety" rules out some of the best pistols out there....

There is a ton of research about stopping power in9mm vs. .40. Shoot whatever you are comfortable with. If you like 9mm, just make sure you are using a high quality hollowpoint. They're good not only for their effectiveness for self defense....but for safety.

9mm FMJ will punch through a LOT before the round stops. Look out for your neighbors!:eek:

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor

You're just finishing HS and you are old school?

In all seriousness, if a mechanical safety is your preference that's great, but just realize there are several weapons that you are likely to use in the military that do not have a mechanical safety (as you are describing it). If you go aviation, the SIG is one of those weapons, although by the time you hit the fleet they may be gone.

Also, Glocks do have mechanical safeties, just not the safety "switch" that you are describing.