• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Benefits

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
You sound like a Joe if you use the word... Joe :D

You know this got me thinking to a conversation we had with some youngsters one day at noon meal; it's unfortunate that word is used like every time that someone does the right thing. I mean, seriously, it's like anytime someone is actually "doing their job" they get labeled a joe. There is definitely a difference between the absolute tools and the people that just do what they are supposed to do, but they often get labled as the same. Would you agree?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a great attitude to have. The Corps had its downer moments but the good times made it worth it in the end. My friends from normal NROTC/OCS are still kind of like man, why would you do that voluntarily? It's really tough to explain to people who haven't gone through a similar experience, but I love knowing that I did something difficult and unique. To each his own. Every now and then I wonder what might have been had I gone to Tulane, Vanderbilt, or UPenn, but I'm still where I've always wanted to be. So it worked out okay. Keep it up, it's definitely worth it in the end.

I can't compare experiences since we don't have to do the same stuff, but just being in NROTC sets you apart. Most of my good friends on campus are in NROTC, all the people I live with are in NROTC, and there's definitely a bond. No, it's not that we lived through hell together, but we still have a set of common experiences that are unique to the rest of the campus. That's how you form any type of relationship. And when you say to your non-ROTC friends that you can't do such and such because you have a ROTC thing to do, people respect that. Obviously not to the degree that they would if you had to do the military thing 24/7, but academy people, in my experience, forget the fact that NROTC is still a HUGE committment at a regular college. It's not just an extracurricular activity.

That being said, choose whatever path fits you. I was going to be at the academy had BUMED agreed with the admissions office, but in retrospect I realize that ROTC is the best thing ever for me, not even just for the military aspects. I'd advise anyone who is applying to have long conversations with midshipmen at the schools they are considering, academy or normal, to see which life fits you best.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
The harder you work, the harder you party.

While true, these sentiments should NOT be used when you get PRBed for incidents when youre a middie.

Been there, done that.

Man HD....looks like those Embry Riddle keggers are out of control....I don't know how you find time to study.....

MrSaturn

Contributor
You know this got me thinking to a conversation we had with some youngsters one day at noon meal; it's unfortunate that word is used like every time that someone does the right thing. I mean, seriously, it's like anytime someone is actually "doing their job" they get labeled a joe. There is definitely a difference between the absolute tools and the people that just do what they are supposed to do, but they often get labled as the same. Would you agree?

I think Joe is used when someone acts with the goal to please the USNA overlords.

Too often I see people get a position of power and think that they HAD to use it or pass it up or blow it into a bigger porportions then it needs to be. Why? They look good to the higher ups because it looks like they care. Those people are Joes.

In my opinion if you do your job well. No one will notice.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Theres a difference between doing your job and taking care of your people and taking care of the Dant/Company O. Both will generally earn you respect from the higher ups in the long run, but only one will earn you respect from your peers.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Man HD....looks like those Embry Riddle keggers are out of control....I don't know how you find time to study.....

I'm an ERAU student in name only, my friend. ;) If you think those look crazy, you should see some of the barn parties we have up here in Cantonment. :D

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

177815.jpg

It's a party in a box.

perdiem3

pilot
academy fleet aviators

Regardless of the commissioning source for aviation try to use this sports metaphor, imagine you are joining a pro team, NFL, major league baseball,etc. If you make the team (squadron) better, stronger, etc. your CO will write you a good ticket get you good orders out of the squadron and take care of you---did you ever see Maverick doing his ground job? That was the most Hollywood part about Topgun. He (the CO) doesn't care who your commissioning source is any more than a pro head coach would care where his All-Pro player played prior to coming to his team. They need good players to have a good team, no good team and they don't get their upward mobility. I worked for three admirals, all aviators, one was a correspondence course college grad (NAVCAD program no longer exists) one was a USNA grad, and one was a standard ROTC grad. All made it to the top, all had very different leadership and personality styles.
Work hard at your ground job, be a good stick in the cockpit and you will succeed.
PS-don't run with the wrong crowd in the wardroom when you first check on board, they will tell you bad gouge on how to be a good JO and it will stunt your growth (professionally anyway).

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
PS-don't run with the wrong crowd in the wardroom when you first check on board, they will tell you bad gouge on how to be a good JO and it will stunt your growth (professionally anyway).

Then who is the wrong crowd?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...even though I believe landing a helo on a small boy day or night is studly, few civilians grasp it at all, because they see shots of helos landing on oil rigs and other vessels often, so it just doesn't register
so I guess it would be considered pseudo-studly, almost womanly even, yes?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Strong words from someone whose life existed at 10 knots and had to take evasive maneuvers for a contact at 20K yards. ;)

Eddie, you'll kind of pick them out. Come in late, leave early, don't really give a crap about the enlisted folks, etc.

phrogpilot73

Just found this thread because of another...

Chow Calls
siryounowhave10minutestillnoonmealformationformationgoesoutsideuniformfornoonmealformationiswinterworkingbluesmenufornoonmealformationischimichangasspanishcorncannonballsmajoreventsontheyardareforrestallectureinalumnihallcommanddutyofficeriscaptsmithofficerofthedayismidshipmanlieutenantstinkyyounowhavetenminutessir!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Circle K

pilot
Wasn't it 12 and 7 minutes if the formation was outside? Or was that only from living on the fourth deck.