• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Being Gay in Naval Aviation

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It is kind of ironic that the Navy isn’t the service first in line to be informally enforcing a “no asshole rule” already, considering we institutionally spend so much time cooped up in a damn psychological pressure cooker where you physically can’t get away from people who piss you off.

Instead we have stupid jokes like “happiness is a constant.”

Boat thermo........happiness can only be gathered by taking it forcefully from someone else. That's just naval physics and law. Settled science.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I’ve met plenty of people in my squadrons that didn’t fit the stereotypical mold and would be considered “weird” by some. Many of them turned out to be standup dudes who just like different things.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that nobody likes assholes. Those are the types that I think should be weeded out at every opportunity, and if people don’t want to fly with someone because they act like a dickhead or a tyrant then I think it’s well-deserved.

Yeah, I guess the word "weird" was a poor choice. I could give a **** if someone is weird/eccentric/whatever. You hit on what actually matters. Cant be an a hole in a crewed jet on a 3 day trip. It isn't safe, especially if the a hole is the boss man.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I guess the word "weird" was a poor choice. I could give a **** if someone is weird/eccentric/whatever. You hit on what actually matters. Cant be an a hole in a crewed jet on a 3 day trip. It isn't safe, especially if the a hole is the boss man.

Honestly I never really thought of that part. If you end up flying with someone who’s a shitbag on day one…you’re kinda stuck with em for 3/4 more days. That has to be annoying.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I’ve met plenty of people in my squadrons that didn’t fit the stereotypical mold and would be considered “weird” by some. Many of them turned out to be NFOs.
FIFY
On the boat, interacting with stupid boat donkeys, I absolutely was. I do actually regret that, a small amount, in hindsight. It was almost never them truly being stupid on an individual basis.

While it's certainly not every donkey, nor is it an everyday occurence, but I think you were lucky.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Boat thermo........happiness can only be gathered by taking it forcefully from someone else. That's just naval physics and law. Settled science.

Also, happiness on the boat cannot be created, but it can easily be destroyed. Frequently, and with extreme prejudice. Therefore happiness at sea will always decrease over time, but not necessarily in a mathematically predictable fashion.
;)

In all seriousness, while there are various forms of personality failure, I fundamentally disagree with the idea of an industry-wide "blacklist" (if it's even a real thing and not just a scare tactic for airline applicants.) I remain convinced it's better to let someone learn from their mistakes and/or display their true colors in an interview than to globally block them for life. If they're a qualified applicant, it's on them to demonstrate whether (or not) they can successfully integrate with the organization.

Last edited:

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Also, happiness on the boat cannot be created, but it can easily be destroyed. Frequently, and with extreme prejudice. Therefore happiness at sea will always decrease over time, but not necessarily in a mathematically predictable fashion.
;)

In all seriousness, while there are various forms of personality failure, I fundamentally disagree with the idea of an industry-wide "blacklist" (if it's even a real thing and not just a scare tactic for airline applicants.) I remain convinced it's better to let someone learn from their mistakes and/or display their true colors in an interview than to globally block them for life. If they're a qualified applicant, it's on them to demonstrate whether (or not) they can successfully integrate with the organization

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Hey he might have been blackballed. Understand the fleet has the option to mention assholes before they’re being hired! I know of at least one example.
It’s moreso, folks that work at delta tell their chief pilot they’d not like to work with so-and-so, and they don’t get hired. Can they get a job? Of course. But not at that airline. And if they’ve burned lots of bridges, not at any of the majors. Of course they could get a job flying somewhere

SaturdaysR4theBuoys

Tube rat wrangler
pilot
As I am waiting to go to OCS, I can't help wonder what its like to be gay in naval aviation or in the Navy in general. I couldn't find much about this topic on here in except from around the time DADT was repealed, so I was hoping to learn more about today. Is it there still a lot of social stigma around gays within military culture? What's it like to date when you're naval aviator, not only if, but especially if, you're gay? If I'm going to spend 10 years in an organization that I hope to prove myself worthy to belong to, I want to have some foresight as to how I'll fit into the culture that runs through the professional environment and how I'll be able to grow in terms of my personal life.

Thanks.
You'd actually be surprised how good it is now compared to some of the stories I'm sure you've read. I popped my head outta the closet when I was in primary and not only have I not been given grief, but I'm alot happier now. People really don't care nowadays. The biggest struggle has actually been the relatively dry dating pools here in Florida haha.

Jstalz

You'd actually be surprised how good it is now compared to some of the stories I'm sure you've read. I popped my head outta the closet when I was in primary and not only have I not been given grief, but I'm alot happier now. People really don't care nowadays. The biggest struggle has actually been the relatively dry dating pools here in Florida haha.

That's good to hear, at least about the first part haha. Although honestly, I'm living in nyc right now and a smaller dating pool seems like it might be a nice change ?

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
Personal experience Enlisted and Officer side, (Navy and Marines) no one really gives a sh** what your sexuality is if you're a cool dude/dudette and you're good at your job. Honestly that's the only metric that should matter in the military. Are you dependable and can you do your job while getting along with your peers to accomplish the mission. That's it.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
What if you're obsessed with expensive watches and shitty donut shop coffee? Not that I'm thinking of anyone in particular ... :D
Dude.

You didn’t include Metallica.

Mandatory Metallica!

LATE ENTRY: Pic from a few minutes ago at the almighty DTW commuter motel…

27C6DE36-D06F-49ED-AA30-BCF226CD91BC.jpeg

Last edited: