• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Being a Recon Marine and a pilot

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Suuuure... It'd probably be easier to switch from SEAL to Navy pilot too. I'm sure NSW is ALL about it! ;)

Actually, I cruised with a Hornet pilot in CAG 17 (don't remember what squadron) who had been an enlisted guy in the Teams before he got his comission. Kinda weird seeing somebody wearing both a trident and wings. Good dude, though.

So it can be done - the thing is, both fields (aviation and specwar/specops) require a lot of very hard work, and it's not often someone's willing to give up on everything you've done to belong to one to start all over with the other.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Edit: Read your profile-thigy, and says your an army aviator. Just wondering, why didn't you become a naval aviator?

I tried, the Navy said they didn't want any 30 year olds in training. The Army...well they'll waiver just about anything, except having monocular vision...and maybe even that depending on current attrition rates.

It was a big risk trading E-8 for flight school, a decision I always discourage unless the applicant is passionate about flying. It's the civilian equivelent of a guy in his 40's chucking his current occupation to chase his life long dream of being a white water rapids guide. It can be done, but there's alot of liabilities, especially with a wife and 2 kids.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare during flight school.

Problem solved.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Actually, I cruised with a Hornet pilot in CAG 17 (don't remember what squadron) who had been an enlisted guy in the Teams before he got his comission. Kinda weird seeing somebody wearing both a trident and wings. Good dude, though.

So it can be done - the thing is, both fields (aviation and specwar/specops) require a lot of very hard work, and it's not often someone's willing to give up on everything you've done to belong to one to start all over with the other.

But that example fits in with the overall advice. If you want to start in spec ops and do something else, you should enlist first. As an O, it's unlikely that you will get through any special ops program and still be selectable for aviation.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
I think I want to "go" pilot, then "go" firm, then "go" recon, then "go" home, and finally "go" postal. Does that make sense?

JTB7

I tried, the Navy said they didn't want any 30 year olds in training. The Army...well they'll waiver just about anything, except having monocular vision...and maybe even that depending on current attrition rates.

It was a big risk trading E-8 for flight school, a decision I always discourage unless the applicant is passionate about flying. It's the civilian equivelent of a guy in his 40's chucking his current occupation to chase his life long dream of being a white water rapids guide. It can be done, but there's alot of liabilities, especially with a wife and 2 kids.

You were an E-8? dang... Just a thought, wouldn't being an officer earn you more $$ for you wife and kids?

So can be done.... :)

I think I want to "go" pilot, then "go" firm, then "go" recon, then "go" home, and finally "go" postal. Does that make sense?

:icon_down No.

But that example fits in with the overall advice. If you want to start in spec ops and do something else, you should enlist first. As an O, it's unlikely that you will get through any special ops program and still be selectable for aviation.

Can you enlist as a SEAL and get into USNA/NROTC after 4yr enlistment contract is over? (I dont see why not) By that time, you would be ~26.

LoneSailor

Can you enlist as a SEAL and get into USNA/NROTC after 4yr enlistment contract is over? (I dont see why not) By that time, you would be ~26.

I don't see why not. Enlisted SEALs have the same oppurtunity as far as enlisted commissioning porgrams go as do other Sailors. SpecWar accumulates about 20 or so STA-21 candidates every year that have already earned their tridents. USNA you'd have to be under 23 to receive an admission.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
You were an E-8? dang... Just a thought, wouldn't being an officer earn you more $$ for you wife and kids?

Maybe with respects to retirement, but I've been out of the Teams since 2002, and I'm just now breaking even with my previous income. Enlisted SEALs get mad re-enlistment bonuses, special duty pays and per diem.

guest0321

Young man, if you want to be an operator the only logical path is to enlist. Officers in the reconnaissance community rarely (if ever) accompany a team on a mission. Your path would be to enlist as an 03XX (UH or UZ contract), do boot camp, then SOI, then the RIP/BRC. These days the RIP exists at SOI as part of the BRC schoolhouse. When I went through, Pre-BRC (RIP) was at the battalion. You asked about attrition rates...during my time over 85% didnt make it (lots of quitters, plenty of injuries).

However, although it is difficult becoming a recon marine then a pilot is possible. I myself am prepping for the MECEP program for flight.

My advice: focus on highschool first. If you do enlist, take things a step at a time. The others are right, you don't just "go" recon.

Good luck.

guest0321

It wouldn't let me leave them blank, and I prefer to keep my personal information online limited. I'm pretty smart (for an enlisted man) and I'm looking to make a change in my career path (recon to flight).

I have a 97 ASVAB, 135 GT, and a 32 ACT. What are the averages for flight candidates?

JTB7

Young man, if you want to be an operator the only logical path is to enlist. Officers in the reconnaissance community rarely (if ever) accompany a team on a mission. Your path would be to enlist as an 03XX (UH or UZ contract), do boot camp, then SOI, then the RIP/BRC. These days the RIP exists at SOI as part of the BRC schoolhouse. When I went through, Pre-BRC (RIP) was at the battalion. You asked about attrition rates...during my time over 85% didnt make it (lots of quitters, plenty of injuries).

However, although it is difficult becoming a recon marine then a pilot is possible. I myself am prepping for the MECEP program for flight.

My advice: focus on highschool first. If you do enlist, take things a step at a time. The others are right, you don't just "go" recon.

Good luck.

You said there was a lot of injuries, if you get injured do they give you another chance?
Say if you wanted to be a SEAL, get into BUDs and get injured, would you be mopping floors and scraping paint off of ships for the rest of your enlistment?