• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Being a Recon Marine and a pilot

resctech

Longtime Ghost
None
Going Recon does not make you an "operator", nor does it place you in Marsoc. Their are different levels of operation for 0321's, depending on how far you want to take it. Having been an 0311 for 10 glorious years, and living next to 1st Recon Battalion for a bit (receiving alot of their washouts), all I can say is, go PT.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh for crissakes, it was a rhetorical example! How about rodeo clown and professional cricket player?

I think the verdict here is that the best chance to go recon then pilot is to enlist first. The question then becomes, why does one want recon so badly?

Just needling you a little bit there........;)

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
Is it possible to be a Recon Marine for some time and transfer to become a pilot? Correct me if I am wrong, I think that you have a longer commitment in the service after being a Recon Marine. But, the cutoff date for being a pilot is 28(or something like that) That would be really cool to say I was in Special Ops and fly :)

p.s. I did a search and all I could find was this:
(http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6879&highlight=recon+marine+pilot)

Frankly, you have a better chance of being a recon marine and a pirate.
theelegantcaptainhookisalsotheeleganthansconried.jpg

BoaisyJon

^^
No, I just thought rhyming Pilot with pirate and putting a picture of captain hook would be funny, actually. I would hardly characterize that as "giving advice".

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
^^
No, I just thought rhyming Pilot with pirate and putting a picture of captain hook would be funny, actually. I would hardly characterize that as "giving advice".

Oh, it didn't seem funny, so it sounded like advice.

After you explained it, I see where you are coming from. All that being said rhyming pilot and pirate is a stretch.

BoaisyJon

Oh, it didn't seem funny, so it sounded like advice.

After you explained it, I see where you are coming from. All that being said rhyming pilot and pirate is a stretch.

After you explained it, I see where you are coming from...it is a stretch. This is why I don't post much. Better to remain silent and have people think you're dumb than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

brownshoe

Contributor
Good luck to you "BoaisyJon" young man... I hope you get your dream of being a SNA. Stay safe... and God speed.

Steve :)

JTB7

I hope you know that one just doesn't "get" SNA or "go" recon. In your case, your best bet might be enlisting to try to get recon (they're the ones that do all the badass shiat anyway, not the officers, and you'll have a better chance), and then applying for a commissioning program trying to pick up SNA. That is, if you really want to get out of recon.
Until then, stop watching Rambo. You're allowed to fantasize about being a grunt OR a pilot, but not both.

What do the officers do then? Just lead the enlisted?
I will apply for SNA, and if I do not get selected, I will apply for ground intelligence officer( Can I even apply for this strait out of TBS?)

wtf is Rambo?lol

If you're into aviation and snake-eating, it's easier to go the other direction. You can be an aviator, then become a FAC or air officer in MARSOC. There are some other similar opportunities for aviators in ANGLICO or battalion recon.

To go recon as an officer, you'll likely have to be infantry, which is a high-demand MOS out of TBS, then be successful there, apply for recon, get screened, go from recon to force, etc, etc. By the time you do all that, THEN your timing would have to be perfect for one of the fleet accession boards if you wanted aviation.

If you are dead-set on recon, go enlisted. They can apply for recon from any MOS. They just have to pass the screening and indoc--"just" being a relative term.

Not to piss on your parade, but these aren't really compatible goals. It like wanting to be a lawyer AND a doctor. Not actually impossible, but the planets are hard to align on that one.

Ok, you official pissed on my goals.

Now, I was searching around and there are two ways of becoming an officer in recon:
1. First is the Infantry (0302) officer who has typically has 2+ years experience in a Battalion with at least one deployment. At this point he's ready to be a Weapons Plt Leader or a Company XO. Some opt to take the recon indoc and, with approval from their chain of command, receive orders to a recon unit.
2. Second is the ground intelligence officer (0203) who attends intel school and infantry officers course before coming to the Basic Recon Course. Some even go on to receive their insert schools (jump & Dive). Upon completion of this school pipeline, the LT is assigned to a recon unit.
(http://www.forcerecon.com/reconfaq.htm#eight)

I was looking up ground intelligence officer, and it sounds awesome. I would much rather command a scout sniper platoon than do basic infantry. Is this a very competitive MOS to get into?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
You may also want to read this part from the site you linked:
Do officers in Recon units lead their Marines on missions in the field?

Normally, the Recon Platoon Commander works in the Landing Force Operations Center (LFOC) or Combat Operations Center (COC). Here he receives reports from his teams, transmits direction to them & coordinates any support they need in the field. Recon Team Leaders are normally Sergeants or Staff Sergeants (some Force Recon Teams). The Team Leader is the senior man to go to the field on missions. Some missions require the full platoon to act as a unit, and in that case the Platoon Commander may also go to the field.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I was looking up ground intelligence officer, and it sounds awesome. I would much rather command a scout sniper platoon than do basic infantry. Is this a very competitive MOS to get into?
Very. Like anything else it may vary with TBS classes, but you are looking at 0-5 slots out of your entire company.