• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Beechcraft Bonanza

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
joboy666 said:
which of the RV's is the biggest/has the greatest useful load? i was really considering buying/building one. I figure if I'm an aerospace engineer, I ought to be able to figure it out....right?

Have you ever watched a Mech E try to work on his car? Classic disconnect between academia and the real world. This guy could have designed the transmission in the vehicle, but when I tried to explain "righty tighty, lefty loosy," he looked at me like I was speaking in Farsi. :D

Brett

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
The RV-7 (which is what I'm interested in) is only 36k for the quickbuild kit. Granted, it's a 2-seater (and fully aerobatic). I think at my age though and experience level, it makes sense. You can always sell it and use that money to buy the -10 (once you've rung its neck for a few years of course).

pdx

HSM Pilot
The RV-7 (which is what I'm interested in) is only 36k for the quickbuild kit. Granted, it's a 2-seater (and fully aerobatic). I think at my age though and experience level, it makes sense. You can always sell it and use that money to buy the -10 (once you've rung its neck for a few years of course).

Make sure you fully investigate the unique problems of selling a homebuilt aircraft. One of the big benefits of a homebuilt with an experimental certification is that YOU are the manufacturer (not Vans). This means, among other things, that you can determine when maintenance must be performed and by whom. When selling, however, there are quite a few legal loose ends that need to be sewn up. As of yet, I haven't heard of a loophole-proof way to unload liability for stupid things a future owner might do. "Kitplanes" magazine has run a few good articles on buying/selling/insuring homebuilts that you might want to check out.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Hell why mess with an RV or Glassair? You need a Lancair Propjet. A good friend of mine was looking at selling his F35 Bonanza (the strait tail version of the V) and buy a Propjet with cash left over.

With a cruise of 320 Kts at 24k, with a 1400 mile range and a useful load of 1500lbs, it is a great aeroplane for $129,500.00. They even have builders assist program, where you go to the factory and build it under their supervision.

http://www.lancair.com/Main/propjet.html

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
If you are stuck on bonanzas, you should consider a Debonair. It's got the same engine, slightly different window configuration, and it was designed as an "Economy Bonanza" Also, a nice one can be had for about $60K Also, the Piper Commanche 250 shouln't overlooked. You can find a decent one in Trade-A-Plane for $60, cruises a legitimate 160kias,and seats 4. It's CG also alot less sensitive when you're packing it full of bags/kegs, whatever. It'll also be ALOT cheaper to insure.

On ownership, take it from one who has experienced ownership woes, there's alot more to consider than just loan payment and insurance.

Costs:
Tie Downs/Hangar
Insurance
Engine/Maint reserve(per hour)
Annual luxury tax/registration (depending on which state you're in)
Fuel/Oil (An O-470 burns about 14 gph at a median price of $.50/gal
Annual Inspections (pricey for a HP complex)

If you're only going to fly the plane a few hours a month, you'll be hard pressed to come out ahead of a rental. However, the more you fly it, you're actually reducing the per-hour costs, by capitolizing the fixed costs (i.e. hangar, insurance, taxes, etc)

I've done a few costs spread sheets for friends, and I think that while you're AD, you won't fly on your own as much as you think, nor will you have time to maintain the plane so annuals don't kill you. I think the recommendation for a fixed gear Piper was a wise one for a first-time owner set on purchasing his own plane.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
These planes are not even remotely in the same price range. Why compare them?

That was meant to be slightly tongue in cheak. I realise they are not in the same price range, however a few more years of saving will yeild a higher performance aircraft at a lower operating cost than a Bonana, at least for the Lancair IV which is about 37k cheaper. Light airframe with a turbo charged IO-550 = fast.

FlytheBall

Maybe, maybe not, maybe go fvck yourself.
pilot
Mefesto said:
It's a great way to go, don't get me wrong and I can't WAIT to fly the thing... but just know what you're getting yourself into.

Check out www.vansairforce.com for more details.

I would love to build my own airplane...dont know if I would trust myself...must feel pretty rewarding I would imagine.

bulldozer3

pilot
my old man and I started building a RV-8A back in 98/99ish, I helped out with the tail and wing, then left for college and he did the rest. It's the yellow one in the picture in the front. He's now building a RV-10 (the 4 seater). Its probably got more room in it than most 4-seaters ive seen. I saw 4 big guys that fly RV8's get in it with room to spare. RV's are very solid airplanes, probably the best bang for your buck in terms of cost and performance.... not to mention the huge support groups of builders in your area.

any questions pass them along.

Attachments

• DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    800.7 KB · Views: 62

JIMMY

my old man and I started building a RV-8A back in 98/99ish, I helped out with the tail and wing, then left for college and he did the rest. It's the yellow one in the picture in the front. He's now building a RV-10 (the 4 seater). Its probably got more room in it than most 4-seaters ive seen. I saw 4 big guys that fly RV8's get in it with room to spare. RV's are very solid airplanes, probably the best bang for your buck in terms of cost and performance.... not to mention the huge support groups of builders in your area.

agh he built the trike?! cmon guys its all about tail draggers! (still, great lookin plane bulldozer:). but seriously, in the non-jet-arena... tail-draggers are where its at IMO.
-jP

JIMMY

also, have u had a chance to fly it? ive never heard first hand what its flying characteristics are like.

thx
-jP

ruxtmp

Holy crap! Is that a full size replica? How much do those run?

It is a full size flying replica. A while back I believe the bare bones minimum (structure only) was running around EUR500,000 :eek: . Buyer was responsible for providing original BMW engine. Looks like you could get a brand new allison for it now. Can't wait to see what the price for the D9 will be. So far the only Bf109 and FW190D9 in my price range are 1/6th scale.