• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming an airline pilot?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Is that to say they would hire you with basic quals, e.g. commercial F/W, and you would be able to leave after a couple years with a type rating in a heavy?
They USED to ... back in the '70's prior to developing any "local" cadre of .... let's call 'em "pilots". :D

But now???
In a word: No.

They want you with the "type" and the experience and they know you can't fly for the US carriers
(presently -- and that will change)... then they don't have to pay for a type, they can pay you relatively less without the ALPA hassles and they get at least SOMEONE in the cockpit with some experience.

They save the lower paying go-fer F/O jobs for their LIPs -- much cheaper to pay a guy $300/month and a bag of rice -- and THEY KNOW AS SOON AS YOU GET YOUR TYPE RATING YOU WOULD LEAVE .... and return to the Land of the Big PX. :)

It's been goin' on for decades .... :)

FLY_USMC

pilot
I have a buddy who flies for Emirates, they gave him a house, a car, and pay him a hefty 6 figure salary. On the other hand, he, and most others he works with, were hired with 5-6K hours, the basics? I think not.

Nose

pilot
(presently -- and that will change)

It's not a done deal yet, but the Fokhead Prater (ALPA President) is trying hard to give it away.

N

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Time frame?....
Ahhhhhhh ... now you're quibbling .... :)

If the ALPA/industry/FED powers that be had their way --- it would happen yesterday. A LOT of $$$$ retirement/medical/crew pairing B.S. to do ... but I'm betting less than five years ---

Nose

pilot
Less than 5, probably. But some think it is just a few months away. I think it is at least 2 years away. (Especially since that D1CK Stevens from Alaska that was pushing it now has his ass in a sling for bribes).

Of course I'm quibbling, saying "I'll bet you $100 it is going to happen." Is like saying "I'll bet you $100 you are going to die."

Who did you fly for? How long retired, you lucky dog?

Nose

Nose

pilot
PS, not all industry is for it. SWA supports, I think FedEx does too, but others are fighting it hard. Afraid of lawsuits, scheduling nightmare, etc.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Who did you fly for? How long retired, you lucky dog?

Nose
Flew for 3 airlines --- 25 years for the last one (*whew*) domestic and some Mexico/SA for the first two --- actually, just in ground school for the first one --- got the call the first day during lunch break for #2 --- flew all international for the last after a year of domestic, all the rest 18-wheelers/Whales across the big pond.

Sorry .... no names --- there's just too many Skeeterman's and assorted clones (clowns?) running around out there .... :)

Been retired for less time than I'd like ...
:D

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I think FedEx does too

NO.. Our membership (when polled) was against the change; however, our MEC decided that they don't represent the membership and voted to support the change! They also want it Retro which would really screw things up since nearly all the panel monkeys are over 60. There are lots and lots of threads about it on APC... And then our MEC just gave us/convinced enough to vote for a crappy LOA to open bases in Paris and Hong Kong... :icon_rage

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PS, not all industry is for it. SWA supports, I think FedEx does too, but others are fighting it hard. Afraid of lawsuits, scheduling nightmare, etc.

Okay, I'll bite.....Wha the heck are you all talking about? I went back over the thread and maybe a failure fo reading comprehension but I couldn't find what you all are talking about specifically. Can you please spell it out fo rhte unwashed?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Okay, I'll bite.....Wha the heck are you all talking about? I went back over the thread and maybe a failure fo reading comprehension but I couldn't find what you all are talking about specifically. Can you please spell it out fo rhte unwashed?

I think he mean't the Age 60 rule change.. At least that is what I replied to?

Nose

pilot
Boom Boom,

Sorry, I was just going on your MEC's BS at the BOD. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm pretty ticked about Prater (the Traitor) and his antics.

Flash, discussion is about raising the retirement age for airline pilots to greater than 60. A majority of ALPA pilots are against this, but our union "leader" is fighting to make the change.

Nose

Flash, discussion is about raising the retirement age for airline pilots to greater than 60. A majority of ALPA pilots are against this, but our union "leader" is fighting to make the change.

Nose

Why are they against it? I thought a lot of the older pilots are always complaining about how they are being forced out when they can still fly.

Or does it have to do with the guys below them expecting them to retire and thus move up and if they extend the age limit then it throws off the whole seniority chart.

:confused:

Nose

pilot
Capt,

Has to do with seniority, but more importantly, safety.

Those that want to change it say "It is not any less safe for a 65 year old to fly then a 60 year old."

While that may be true on an individual basis (A4 could probably fly circles around 30 year olds), but when taken as a group, there is no way that holds water. Some pilots in the group WILL experience deterioration of skills. The FAA Aviation Medical program is a JOKE that relies on self disclosure to find problems.

Also, the folks that want to raise the age are the same that have benefitted from the current rules for their whole career. It's kind of a "I want my cake and I want yours too." Kind of thing.

Cheers,
Nose