• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming an airline pilot?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Food for thought, if you're so dead set on flying overseas, don't give up the idea of helos either. From your posts it sounds like you're more interested in getting a job overseas instead of flying a specific platform. Nowadays a lot of companies are doing a lot of stuff all over the world with helos.

phrogpilot73

Truth be told, a lot of the flight hour requirements for overseas helo jobs are lower than here in the continental US as well... Part of me dreams of flying tours/shuttle service in St. Lucia, W.I.:

St. Lucia Helicopters
Pilots:
St. Lucian Citizens, followed by other Caricom Nationals, preferred but not an absolute requirement;

Valid and current Commercial Helicopter Pilot's License issued by an ICAO contracting state;

Type rating on the AS350B preferred;

Minimum 1000 hours PIC in helicopters;

Clean police record from your country of origin and/or residency;

No substance abuse problems;

Good to excellent command of the English language, multi-lingualism an asset;

Excellent people skills an unqualified must​

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Food for thought, if you're so dead set on flying overseas, don't give up the idea of helos either. From your posts it sounds like you're more interested in getting a job overseas instead of flying a specific platform. Nowadays a lot of companies are doing a lot of stuff all over the world with helos.

What, like these guys?
0301chopper400x250.jpg

phrogpilot73

What, like these guys?
Yeah, I don't think that is what he was talking about, here's their current requirements (you can't get them through a civilian flight training pipeline):

Title: Pilot – Rotary Wing/ MD 530 F Pilot

Requirements:

MD 530 F helicopter pilots must have over 3500 total helicopter time.
At least 500 NVG time, have served in either a high-risk environment or combat tour with the US Military (Special Operations experience is a plus, i.e. Served in the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment).
Ideal candidate will have flown OH 58Ds for the Army or similar civilian aircraft. Must be a US Citizen and able to obtain a security clearance.​

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah, I don't think that is what he was talking about, here's their current requirements (you can't get them through a civilian flight training pipeline):....

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of guys flying to oil platforms and stuff like that. Those jobs = lots of $$$ and a good bit of time off per year too.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Short answer to your desire to fly for Lufthansa or British airways. Not realistically going to happen. Short of moving there, getting their citizenship (find a nice fraulein to marry), and going through the pain of getting the European licenses, you are not going to fly for one of their big passenger carriers. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that the road required would be so long and painful that you would really have to ask what is so great about those two companies.

Now, the asian carriers are going gangbusters for american pilots, if you don't mind china, india or UAE.

kevkwondo08

Short answer to your desire to fly for Lufthansa or British airways. Not realistically going to happen. Short of moving there, getting their citizenship (find a nice fraulein to marry), and going through the pain of getting the European licenses, you are not going to fly for one of their big passenger carriers. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that the road required would be so long and painful that you would really have to ask what is so great about those two companies.

Now, the asian carriers are going gangbusters for american pilots, if you don't mind china, india or UAE.

I'm fascinated by the UAE. Would I have to learn Arabic to fly for them/Indian for Air India/Moon Language for China?

phrogpilot73

I'm fascinated by the UAE. Would I have to learn Arabic to fly for them/Indian for Air India/Moon Language for China?
Nope. Official Language of aviation is English. Probably wouldn't hurt to learn the language in order to make your enjoyment of where you were living better...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Hey, if that's gonna happen - best that it happens on deck rather than in flight. I guarantee that the pilots made it out to fly another day! :D

You can see them jumping out the cockpit window just as the big explosion happens. My thought would have been "Thank God this isn't a 747."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Short answer ....asian carriers are going gangbusters for american pilots, if you don't mind china, india or UAE.
And there's a reason why, too. Their LIPs are shit, no matter how well they are trained. LIPs = local indigenous pilots.

Most of my contemporaries (maybe all of 'em) who went to Saudia for a two year contract broke said contract as soon as they got their type rating and headed back to the land of the big PX for the hiring "boom" with type-rating in hand.

The Emirates, Bahrain, Brunei, Singapore, ANA, nearly all of the Orient airlines, etc., etc., ... any and all who pay decent wages -- recognize that you are a whore who will do anything for money. 'Cause you are ....

They will treat you accordingly. Maybe that's why they hate us. :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
And there's a reason why, too. Their LIPs are shit, no matter how well they are trained. LIPs = local indigenous pilots.

Most of my contemporaries (maybe all of 'em) who went to Saudia for a two year contract broke said contract as soon as they got their type rating and headed back to the land of the big PX for the hiring "boom" with type-rating in hand.

The Emirates, Bahrain, Brunei, Singapore, ANA, nearly all of the Orient airlines, etc., etc., ... any and all who pay decent wages -- recognize that you are a whore who will do anything for money. 'Cause you are ....

They will treat you accordingly. Maybe that's why they hate us. :)

Is that to say they would hire you with basic quals, e.g. commercial F/W, and you would be able to leave after a couple years with a type rating in a heavy?

Nose

pilot
Phrog,

Most of the big intl airlines that hire Anglos want you to have the type/time before coming over. Lot's of 60.1 year olds who can't fly here any more go that way. A few have left my airline in search of greener pastures.

Nose