• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming an airline pilot?

Capt,

Has to do with seniority, but more importantly, safety.

Those that want to change it say "It is not any less safe for a 65 year old to fly then a 60 year old."

While that may be true on an individual basis (A4 could probably fly circles around 30 year olds), but when taken as a group, there is no way that holds water. Some pilots in the group WILL experience deterioration of skills. The FAA Aviation Medical program is a JOKE that relies on self disclosure to find problems.

Also, the folks that want to raise the age are the same that have benefitted from the current rules for their whole career. It's kind of a "I want my cake and I want yours too." Kind of thing.

Cheers,
Nose

Ahhh.. understand.

Yes I agree with you on the FAA Medical program, last time I went in to renew mine the doctor looks at me, looks at my file and says, "Anything changes since the last time we saw each other, (nope) well have you had any nearmisses or concerns (nope) well then I think we are good here, make sure to fill the cup on your way out."

He did a bit more than that but it was pretty close to a walk in walk out deal.:sleep_125

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Sorry, I was just going on your MEC's BS at the BOD. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm pretty ticked about Prater (the Traitor) and his antics.

I was at one of the "Taken It Back" road shows here at the planet and Prater said he ran for pres on a platform that included changing the rule and then one of our members quoted from his campaign speech contradicting that position.. THEY, 'the moustaches', are politicians plain and simple.. THESE guys are professional union officials.. THEY haven't truly flown the LINE in years but THEY sure do a good job of confincing US that THEY are line pilots.. But I will say as angry as we are over the change.. Should have seen and heard some comments from some NWA folks... Some F bombs, lots of "Your a Lier" and such... Lots of dudes who have gone backwards from seats to jets to unemployment... :icon_rage And to boot the meeting was a day or two after the Airways, America West merger of senority lists.. Talk about a dibocle (sp?)!

Nose

pilot
Boom Boom,

That "Takin' it back" thing is a joke. Prater is giving it away at the expense of the bottom half of ALPA. The "Blue Ribbon Panel" was nothing more then a bunch of Prater's Hacks who had marching orders from the get-go. Hell, one of them said "It's basically a done deal, we just want to shape it."

My MEC and company are actively fighting against it and throwing some $$ at it too.

Nose

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Concur....

Which airline? Thought NWA MEC was the only and I thought they voted nuetral? More of the haves and have nots.. Same old song and dance! :icon_rage

I don't think any amount of cash is gonna stop this train wreck.. I just hope to the hell that they don't get rid of the B fund and I can survive the 24 more years I have to retire at 60 without a penalty for early retirement... I DO NOT want to work one day past! Hell one hour for that matter... If I still want to fly I will buy my own airplane and fly for me not Fred! Or maybe get typed in a Gulfstreamand fly some contract work to exotic places... Definately not, MEM, EWR, OAK, LAX, IND, AFW or any other place I have seen to often! :eek:

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Honest assessment...for a pilot retiring from the military at age 41-42, is he better off trying his hand at the airlines for his remaining time toward mando retirement, or trying to go corporate (or for a rotorhead like myself, EMS, petroleum, etc.? Trolling for opinions. I've decided that I want to organize my military and my follow-on career towards flying as much as possible.