• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP -- When your recruiter has no clue

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
I'm new, and I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.

Moving along:

My recruiter mentioned BDCP, but being a recruiter enjoying a leisurely small-town post, he has no idea what the program entails. To put it in perspective: I am the first person he's come across in this area to even begin to initially qualify for the program, and he's been at this post for quite a while now. From what independent research I've done on my own (hey, I found this place, didn't I?), it seems right up my alley.

I'm young, stubborn, and obnoxiously persistent. Both sides of my family are retired military people, and as young people are wont to do, I rebelled against the idea of following their footsteps early on. However, after many lessons learned the hard way, it has come to my attention that I've been avoiding the inevitable for far too long. No ifs, ands, or buts about it, my rear-end is going to be military property one way or another.

Here's my case:
1. I am young. 21.
2. I am currently enrolled in a 4-year institution as a Junior. It is not the same institution I was originally enrolled at; I dropped out, bummed around, finished my gen. ed. reqs. at a community college, and transferred there.
3. I have a GPA of 3.2 and climbing.
4. I am a Psychology major, and while it'd be great to help out all those poor guys coming back with PTSD, I'll kick and scream my way into the NMMP if I have to.
5. I have three recommendations from outstanding men (retired frogman, retired secret service, and retired air force officer).
6. I do have a lot of extracurricular bull-poo and yes, I am aware that there is a physical fitness test.
7. I live in a small town in Western North Carolina.
8. I scored a 99 on the ASVAB, and yes, I am aware that I will need to take the ASTB.
9. I am not a dude.

My question:
1. How do I get the ball rolling for my recruiter?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Sounds like you talked to an enlisted recruiter. You need to find an officer recruiter. They will have plenty of experience with BDCP.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I just finished going through the BDCP application process so if you have any specific questions you can toss them my way.

For starters, I would just get the ASTB done first. If you're ready for the PRT, knock that out as well. Once I got both of those done, my recruiter was confident enough in my selection to get MEPS done prior to pro-rec. The checklist for straight OCS and BDCP don't have too many differences. You will have to submit either your SAT or ACT scores and transcripts from the community college and your current university. The sooner you get those the easier it'll be on you. After that, send out for your letters of recommendation from previous employers.

Get with your recruiter about all the paperwork so you can start filling everything out. The only extra one I can think of is the degree completion plan, but I may be forgetting something. After you get that, just put something together with your academic advisor. Remember, you will be giving them a date that you are 100% sure you will finish by. Knowing this, I stretched out my completion plan an extra semester just in case.

Like I said, if you need anything else let me know. Good luck

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
You're the only qualified person? What kind of 4-year institution is this that there's only one person with a 3+ GPA graduating in the next two years? :eek:

Just messing with you. But I am a little confused. This is an officer recruiter, right? Are you working with a recruiter in your home town instead of where you go to school?

Anyway, first step is take the ASTB so ask to do that. Other than that, I don't know if you can use a different recruiter or what. I know that the experience the recruiting staff assisting me had with BDCP was instrumental in getting me selected. You made the right step by coming here.

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
Sounds like you talked to an enlisted recruiter. You need to find an officer recruiter. They will have plenty of experience with BDCP.

The nearest one is around the Charlotte-Raleigh-Durham area, which is a good 2 or 3 hours away. While I could do a phone-interview-type situation, I am instictively wary of them. The last time I corresponded with a recruiter strictly by telephone he wrongfully told me I was disqualified from all military service, and I had to show up at his doorstep with medical fitness regulations to prove otherwise.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
The nearest one is around the Charlotte-Raleigh-Durham area, which is a good 2 or 3 hours away. While I could do a phone-interview-type situation, I am instictively wary of them. The last time I corresponded with a recruiter strictly by telephone he wrongfully told me I was disqualified from all military service, and I had to show up at his doorstep with medical fitness regulations to prove otherwise.
Most of the correspondence with your officer recruiter can be done through email, fax, and phone. You need the officer recruiter, as he's the one who will know all this stuff. Officer recruiters are generally considered very different from enlisted recruiters. Be smart but not unnecessarily "wary"

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
You're the only qualified person? What kind of 4-year institution is this that there's only one person with a 3+ GPA graduating in the next two years? :eek:

Just messing with you. But I am a little confused. This is an officer recruiter, right? Are you working with a recruiter in your home town instead of where you go to school?

Anyway, first step is take the ASTB so ask to do that. Other than that, I don't know if you can use a different recruiter or what. I know that the experience the recruiting staff assisting me had with BDCP was instrumental in getting me selected. You made the right step by coming here.

As sad as it might sound, I really am the only one! At least, the only one that has the desire to join the Navy. Small Appalachian towns are notorious for drug abuse, 10-pound police records, and poor GPAs.

I am currently, and unfortunately, attending college in the same town I more or less grew up in. It's a few clicks away from Asheville, and there's only one Navy Recruiting center in the area. Unfortunately, it does not include officer recruiters, and therefore I have to play telephone tag on quite a regular basis.

Thank you for your advice; I'll be knocking down my recruiter's door to take the ASTB tomorrow.

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
I just finished going through the BDCP application process so if you have any specific questions you can toss them my way.

Like I said, if you need anything else let me know. Good luck

I wouldn't make that offer unless you're serious. :icon_tong

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I wouldn't make that offer unless you're serious. :icon_tong

Lol, well get in contact with an officer recruiter first. If you have any other questions that you don't want to bother him about you can ask me. My days at work can get pretty dull.. :sleep_125

xmid

pilot
Contributor
While it sucks, you may be forced to drive to see the recruiter in Charlotte. I had to drive about 3 hours everytime I went to see my recruiter. Most things can be handled over the phone or by fax though. I used the enlisted recruiter in my town to fax things over to the officer recruiter (hey it was free).

Lobster

This can be done, as the other guys said you can do most of it through phone, email, fax, and snail mail. I go to school in upstate new york and worked with my OR out of NRD philly which is where I'm from. It can work but you've got to take the initiative and stay on top of everything. Good luck.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I had to drive about 2 hours (california traffic). If you want it you will drive it, but for the most part as stated, a lot can be handled over the phone. Talk to an Officer Recruiter.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor

My appologies for not noticing you are only thinking Navy. I know the nearest Marine OSO is in Raleigh. My kid spent a good deal of time driving back and forth from Boone to Raleigh over the last couple of years. It was worth it though. He's at TBS now with a SNA contract.

How bad do you want it? Go see these guys. They can help.

NAVY OFFICER PROGRAMS RECRUITING OFFICES
Raleigh, NC 919-831-4152
Columbia, SC 803-731-5201
Charlotte, NC 704-375-4267
N. Charleston, SC 843-743-2055

http://www.carolinamarineofficer.com/index.html

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
Alright, alright, I get the picture; it's time to stop riding the wah-mbulance and drive out to the OR.