• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Underway Uniform Question

0311Aggie

I don't pretend to know what it's like in the Navy, but if you showed up to any Marine Corps unit wearing anything you didn't EARN (EGA, PFC stripe, Midn anchor), you better be prepared to take a serious helping of shit.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Get steel toe boots (bates is the usual issued boot), and ask the SUPPO to aquire some engineering coveralls. There will be no rank, no belt required, and they won't cost you a dime since they should have them in repair lockers to issue/hand out during GQ. Just my .02

Kyoowashugi

Midshipman is a rank to which people are appointed and take an oath for, so I'd be hesitant to buy anchors just to have something to wear.

It also indicates that you're a full-time college student who actively does all of the silly NROTC or USNA activities to earn a commission. By doing BDCP you've pretty much directly chosen to not become a midshipman. Sorry, I hate to sound stuck up, because I know MIDN and speck of dirt are on the same level, but you don't rate the devices.

navy09

None
It will be more practical to get coveralls I will wear in a year from now then to go out and buy some polos and khakis I will never wear again.

I'd stay away from khakis and polos in favor of something more rugged. I like Skim's idea of asking to borrow engineering coveralls once you get there. I'd also recommend steel toed boots if you can afford it.

As far as what Mids do on cruise- do whatever they'll let you do. Ask to do stuff, the worst they can say is no. Ask to Conn and go out in the RHIB. Go to the HCO tower during flight ops. Go to the pilot house during sea and anchor. Go count beans with DISBO.

Let us know how it goes.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Nevermind, my request was denied. FML...

The suppo said that due to operational commitments they would be unable to take on riders, and that all requests for riders need to go through higher headquarters; which I imagine there is also not enough time to get it approved for Monday of next week.

Wearing engineering coveralls onboard is probably a good idea, if I am able to get to do this at a later date I will bring that up. Thanks for the input/advice guys.

sickboy

pilot
I don't pretend to know what it's like in the Navy, but if you showed up to any Marine Corps unit wearing anything you didn't EARN (EGA, PFC stripe, Midn anchor), you better be prepared to take a serious helping of shit.

And if you did earn it, you had better be prepared to back it up. You wouldn't believe how much shit I got for wearing MIDN insignia on my uniform from FMSS while at CORTRAMID.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
And if you did earn it, you had better be prepared to back it up. You wouldn't believe how much shit I got for wearing MIDN insignia on my uniform from FMSS while at CORTRAMID.

Thanks for the advice, I want to make sure that that does not happen to me. Nothing like starting off a career with a black mark on your name.

Though I know that it doesn't matter at this time, but what about my name tape, Gold or Silver? It is still good to know incase the opportunity comes up again.

Also what I got from this thread (if I decide to get coveralls, of course)...

Buy coveralls, no belt (wouldn't I need one for safety though), no OC devices, no Midn devices, pretty much no devices or rank insignia what so ever, and name tapes in silver or gold. I was also going to wear my Naval Base San Diego ball cap and steel toe boots. Sounds reasonable, I guess I would be pissed to see someone casually wearing what I had spent time and energy to properly earn.

Kyoowashugi

No nametapes and no belt with engineering coveralls. With Navy coveralls, I'd say silver tape, name only (no U.S. Navy).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What you should have gotten from this thread is the following:

1. You should go do college stuff instead of going on cruises
2. You should get FREE engineering coveralls from the gear locker by contacting the ship prior to going.
3. Failing that, talk to the command directly to see what you should wear, and lean toward civilian construction-type clothes if you don't get a clear answer. I personally would avoid spending money on silver nametape for coveralls knowing that you'll re-buy gold nametape shortly after.

navy09

None
Ash...man...as has been said 100x in this thread now, forget the NEX shopping spree "homemade uniform" idea. If you show up with coveralls, a single name tape, no belt, and a NAVSTA ball cap you will absolutely look like the biggest tool on the planet. In this case you can't go wrong by not buying anything.

In reference to MB's motard comment- the uniform thing is definitely motarded, but I think it's pretty cool that you were able to work out a deal like that to get a taste of what life's like in your chosen community. Hopefully you'll get another chance.

MasterBates

I think the whole doing anything but enjoying hookers and blow and getting good grades while in BDCP is Motarded, but what do I know?

<-- Former BDCPer who spent all the money on tuition, booze and chasing women. Oh, I think I spent some on motorcycles and flying too.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Ok, so let me rephrase my previous comment...

1. I am motarded
2. If I get to do this in the future wear what they give me/tell me
3. I need to spend more of my BDCP money and time on getting laid and partying.

I'm not going to argue with any of that, catch you all on the beach with my cigar, bitches, and cases of corona.

Midn09, I wanted to go NROTC but I transferred mid year and the office at USD said they only take transfers starting in the fall and finishing in the spring. I love BDCP, but I would have given anything to have been selected for an NROTC slot. It wasn't hard to find this opportunity, I have been trying to network with Supply guys as much as possible.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Dude, just roll in wearing a faded flight suit with Hornet 3000 hrs shoulder patch, CDR shoulder insignia and maybe a nametag with wings and a catchy PC callsign. That would be baller

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Midn09, I wanted to go NROTC but I transferred mid year and the office at USD said they only take transfers starting in the fall and finishing in the spring. I love BDCP, but I would have given anything to have been selected for an NROTC slot.

Look at the upside of BDCP: You'll have an ass-ton of leave when you commission and your time in service counts toward your longevity pay (and retirement if you're a lifer).

If you were in NROTC you'd get none of that, plus to go supply out of ROTC something would need to be wrong with you (like getting herpes from a San Diego State chick).

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
I know BDCP is an awesome opportunity, and I take none of it for granted. I actually wanted to go SWO route, but when I was selected for Supply as choice 1 and SWO choice 2, the Navy made my choice for me, even after I submitted final select for SWO. I am extremely happy with the outcome, but there is still part of me that wishes I was eligible for ROTC.

BDCP is pretty bad ass, it bought me a truck, is flying me around the country this summer, allowed me to quit my job, and affords me a nice breakfast at a diner everyday, not to mention Base privies, which are awesome here in San Diego. Thanks to BDCP I have it made, wouldn't happen if I went NROTC, I suppose I got a good deal out of being denied the ROTC opportunity.