• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Underway Uniform Question

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
I am getting underway with the Cleveland next week for the entire week to gain some experience and insight as to what life as a Suppo will be like out to sea. Not wanting to stick out like an even more sore thumb dressed in Civillian attire, we have decided that I am going to get a pair of coveralls. This is where no one really has the exact answer to the question, where do I stand? Should I wear enlisted/midn/OC rank? As it stands I am going to get the Midn anchors and dress as a Midn on a summer sea tour, is this right/acceptable?

It doesn't seem like there is a lot out there for us BDCPers on how we stand in the Navy, but I know that you guys will be able to answer this. Thanks.

-Ashwnd

Lobster

Well right now we're officially OCSN's so my guess and what Stalk seems to think as well is that you'd wear an OC uniform...I don't have one and I'm not an expert on it so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

navy09

None
Probably best to talk to the chop you're riding with and see what he says. He may be expecting you to wear civ clothes and it would save you a lot of money (coveralls, name tapes, belt, boots, etc). One of my advisers was in NUPOC and I remember him telling us that even though he was an E-5, he was expressly told never to wear a Navy uniform.

What rank are you in BDCP? If you're an E-3, it's probably safe to wear coveralls with no collar insignia and silver name tapes. If you're E-4+...DON'T PUT A CROW ON YOUR COLLAR!...figure something else out.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
The Lieutenant was the one who suggested the Midn rank and collar device, my OR suggested the coveralls, so I guess I should go with that combination. Like Kurtzie said, I think we are OCs that get paid at the E-3 level, I don't think our rank is that of a Seaman. I will try to confirm with my OR tomorrow. I know there are other BDCPers that are just as confused, so hopefully this will help.

Also, when telling people about the BDCP program I say that I am in a "navy officer commissioning program similar to ROTC, but I do not drill." Kurtzie, how do you explain it to people?

OccamsRazor

Final Select BDCP Intel
I generally say something similar - that I'm a college student and haven't attended boot, but am treated as an E-3 until graduation when I'll go to OCS. Most people are confused; priors and AD personnel generally think I'm running some kind of scam on the Navy.

Our rank is that of Seaman - and if we don't graduate OCS, it will remain as such. The difference is that Midshipmen are (I believe) treated like officers for some purposes under UCMJ, and are considered officers-in-training. We're more like officers-in-training-in-training.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
The difference is that Midshipmen are (I believe) treated like officers for some purposes under UCMJ, and are considered officers-in-training. We're more like officers-in-training-in-training.

That Midshipman are treated like officers?
bah
no

That Midshipman are expected to behave like officers?
True

navy09

None
See below (Otto's post). I wasn't sure exactly where BDCP'ers fell in the whole mix, but that seems to clear it up. I know you're motivated and want to wear a uniform (we've all been there), but going out and making up/ buying your own gear is pretty gay.

Not wanting to stick out like an even more sore thumb

It's your first time on a Navy ship, you're going to stick out and do a few stupid things regardless of what you're wearing.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Make no mistake about it. Your E-3 status is STRICTLY for pay/time in service alone. You don't really hold "rank" at all. If you don't know what uniform to wear, obviously you haven't earned one and that ignorance in and of itself should be a clue to stick to civvies. If they give you something else, so be it. But for now, I'd plan on civvies.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Make no mistake about it. Your E-3 status is STRICTLY for pay/time in service alone. You don't really hold "rank" at all. If you don't know what uniform to wear, obviously you haven't earned one and that ignorance in and of itself should be a clue to stick to civvies. If they give you something else, so be it. But for now, I'd plan on civvies.

This this and THIS!!

If you read your service agreement, you don't rate a uniform or device while in BDCP. Trust me, once you get to OCS you won't want to think about another OC uniform again.

gotta_fly

pilot
Otto's right on the money. I would add that I've seen civilians at sea wearing coveralls with no rank insignia/ civilian belt. It looked dumb but it was more practical than what they had packed. If someone specifically tells you to wear coveralls that's the route I would go. Midshipman is a rank to which people are appointed and take an oath for, so I'd be hesitant to buy anchors just to have something to wear.

firefriendly

pilot
where do I stand? Should I wear enlisted/midn/OC rank? As it stands I am going to get the Midn anchors and dress as a Midn on a summer sea tour, is this right/acceptable?

Sweet! And, after you buy all that stuff you'll have a uniform to wear when you check in to OCS. Perfect. Take pictures!

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Thanks a lot guys, I knew you could help. My recruiter advised me to wear coveralls, and the Lieutenant advised me to get Midn Devices. I know I am going to make some mistakes, do something stupid, but I plan on being a fly on the wall, keeping my mouth shut, and doing a lot of listening to prevent them.

What are the Summer tours like for Midns? I imagine I could do anything from sitting in a chair all week to getting in the mix of things.

We hold no rank in BDCP? But we are active duty? This makes it even more confusing when I have to tell people now. I know what you mean about Active and Priors thinking we are scamming the Navy, I get confused faces all the time, that is why I just say it's similar, but not equal, to ROTC... That usually clears some things up.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Sweet! And, after you buy all that stuff you'll have a uniform to wear when you check in to OCS. Perfect. Take pictures!

That's a great idea!!! What's your email, I will make sure my mommy sends you the first batch of freshly snapped douche bag in a uniform pictures.

I'm really not trying to be a douche wearing a uniform because I think it's cool, I just want to be prepared for the week and wear appropriate attire. It will be more practical to get coveralls I will wear in a year from now then to go out and buy some polos and khakis I will never wear again.

MasterBates

I am detecting a logic failure here...

Time on boat (with no hookers/blow/booze) vs Time at college town with all the above (and the hookers are paid in booze!)

You will get enough Navy soon enough, and since you are BDCP, it's not like you can NOT go to OCS if you don't like what you see.

You, are a MOTARD. Just a USN version.

firefriendly

pilot
If it was me, I'd still try to get out of it and spend the week on vacation in Europe or something. If you're really concerned though, contact THEIR PAO or point of contact and find out what they want to do with you. Don't buy anything...