• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Questions

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Revival of a dead thread. I figured it was the best place to ask since it is a BDCP question thread. Anyway, what happens if you are in BDCP, just have a quarter where nothing goes right, and get a GPA below 2.7?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Revival of a dead thread. I figured it was the best place to ask since it is a BDCP question thread. Anyway, what happens if you are in BDCP, just have a quarter where nothing goes right, and get a GPA below 2.7?

You signed a contract with certain agreements. One of those agreements was your keeping a 2.7 or above. What did your contract say would happen if you broke the contract? Something about release from your contracted designator and OCS slot and serving 2 years enlisted?

Now if there are personal reasons behind your GPA dropping, I imagine an empathetic recruiter would counsel you, slap you on the wrist and let you show improvement the next semester (unless he doesn't have the authority to do so).

But theoretically this is breach of contract, you could lose your slot and go enlisted.

Bottom line: DON'T FIND OUT!

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Just to add to the above question. He did mention only dropping below for one semester. I thought the contract was the maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.7. I have not yet been selected for BDCP, but that was my understanding.

But what you're saying is if you drop below a 2.7 for even one semester (and say your cumulative is above 3.0), there's a chance they'll toss you into boot camp? I know that you're getting paid to maintain that GPA, but that seems kinda harsh.

nzachman

Here is another stipulation towards the under 2.7. In the Math department at OSU, if you fail a course you obviously get a E and 0.0 GPA for that class. However, when you fail you can take the class over and your new grade counts toward your GPA while the 0.0 GPA is erased (the E still stays on your transcript). Since I am obviously taking that class over my GPA for this quarter will be a 3.0 in about 12 weeks. Does that come into play or is the whole situation virtually hopeless now?

EDIT: Nevermind that policy, it does not exist, my roomate was wrong.

ANOTHER EDIT: Needless to say I am quite nervous about this situation. Another bit of info which may or may not matter is that I swore in 2 weeks ago, so I was not in BDCP until the very end of the quarter when everything was fvcked anyway. Will this play a role positively or negatively? I appreciate the input.

Nick

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Here is another stipulation towards the under 2.7. In the Math department at OSU, if you fail a course you obviously get a E and 0.0 GPA for that class. However, when you fail you can take the class over and your new grade counts toward your GPA while the 0.0 GPA is erased (the E still stays on your transcript). Since I am obviously taking that class over my GPA for this quarter will be a 3.0 in about 12 weeks. Does that come into play or is the whole situation virtually hopeless now?

EDIT: Nevermind that policy, it does not exist, my roomate was wrong.

ANOTHER EDIT: Needless to say I am quite nervous about this situation. Another bit of info which may or may not matter is that I swore in 2 weeks ago, so I was not in BDCP until the very end of the quarter when everything was fvcked anyway. Will this play a role positively or negatively? I appreciate the input.

Nick
Hard to say exactly what will happen, but make sure your recruiter and chain of command are aware of what is going on so they are not blindsided by the situation later down the road. You better be able to explain what happened, why it happened, how you're going to fix it and how it's never going to happen again. The only person responsible for your grades is you, so don't make any excuses. If you have personal problems going on that's one thing. Just bad grades over some classroom politics is another. Accept responsibility and move on.

Good luck.

nzachman

Tom,

Thanks for the input. I just got off the phone with my recruiter like you suggested and he told me not to stress out about it too much. It sucks and there is going to be some paperwork, but hopefully it should work out in the end.

Nick

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Tom,

Thanks for the input. I just got off the phone with my recruiter like you suggested and he told me not to stress out about it too much. It sucks and there is going to be some paperwork, but hopefully it should work out in the end.

Nick

Well, that answers that. Good on you about being so forthcoming with your recruiter. Another example on why being honest is the best policy in cases where you fvcked up.

Now crack a book, fvcker!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now if there are personal reasons behind your GPA dropping, I imagine an empathetic recruiter would counsel you, slap you on the wrist and let you show improvement the next semester (unless he doesn't have the authority to do so).

But theoretically this is breach of contract, you could lose your slot and go enlisted.

I see that nzachman spoke to his recruiter and all will likely be well. Just to add to that info and the answer above, said counseling will likely include questions about how much you are working, sports, and other lifestyle issues. If you are an athlete and can't be on the team and keep your grades up you will be asked to give up the team. If you are working 35 hours a week then you will be told to back off on the hours you work. The Navy is paying you to get good grades. But hey, sh!t happens. Be like nzachman and keep your recruiter informed so their are no surprises. He will likely work with you.