• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP: My gouge

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I recently swore into the Navy after getting final selected for SNA through BDCP. Looking back, I realize how time consuming, complicated and difficult this process was. Many hours were spent reading information from AirWarriors and posting questions. Without the helpful gouges on the ATSB, the application, the motivational statement, MEPS, EPSQ and PRT, I don't think I would have done so well. Here is my gouge.

DISCALIMER: Please take this only as an opinion. I'm not even a puke in OCS yet, just a college student. I am no expert or recruiter. I hope just to bring another perspective to readers with their eyes in the sky (or in the water, but who would want to do that...)

Anyone can have a high GPA, so make sure you pad the app. A high GPA and ATSB score will definitely help, but these are other ways to help.

These are my opinions on way to do it:

1: Extracurricular Activites. Become the VP of some club (worthwhile/worthless). It's better to fill up the app rather that it being all white space. Be as active as possible, even if the club meets once a semester. Also, try to get responsibilty in the club. Anything possible is good.

2: Volunteer. It maybe walking dogs at a local humane society or helping at a foodshelf, but everything helps. Just take some time away and do it.

3: Don't get minors. I'm seven months away from 21 and I refuse to drink in the States. An underage consumption shows bad character and poor decision making. If you want to be a pilot, it shows up everywhere that run ins with the law make people doubt giving you a million dollar jet, possibly carrying lives. Be responsible.

4: Workout. Really. Don't lie under the physical activity section and say you lift 5 hours a day and run 10 miles. Spending time in the gym shows you properly care for your body and know how to take the right steps in life. If you're 300 pounds when you walk into the recruiter's office, he will forsee some obvious problems.

5: Worship your recruiter. He/She's the only one you actually get to make an impression on. I started talking to mine last summer. I called him and talked for a while about BDCP and SNA. Be progressive with them. For example, ask about the ASTB, study guides, scheduling and advice. Schedule it soon, not next month. Get it done now, but make sure you're ready.
Promptly respond to phone calls and emails in a educated manner. That means proof reading what you wrote, capitalizing your I's and knowing the difference between your and you're. Write your emails like you were writing a letter to your mother. Show up early to the ASTB, look professional and talk like you want to do this and you're not an idoit.
Look good.Tuck your shirt in, wear deodorant, wear clean clothes, shave and brush your hair. It probably doesn't help to wear a shirt with Che Guevara or George Bush being bashed on it. Look the recruiter in the eye and show you're paying attention.
Don't hide anything from your recruiter and express your concerns. I had some possible medical concerns and because I told him right off the bat we were able to take care of it. Don't forget to ask about life in the Navy. When it comes down to it, flying a plane or driving a boat isn't everything.
Work ahead with the program. I was waiting to turn my app in due to letters of recommendation and my transcript when I kept going. I had already done my PRT before turning in the app because the recruiter had been in town. He told me I didn't have to do it yet, but I passed just fine. Then, I got my recruiter to get my scheduled for MEPS. I got processed on a Thursday and that night he gave me directions on beginning the EPSQ. I sent him my final infomation the following Monday.

6: Read everything on this forum. The information can save your butt.

7: Talk to people who have gone before you. Hearing their experiences can make you aware of ways to improve your chances.

8: Plan your Academic Degree Completion Plan well. When you fill out your ADCP, you are required to take a set of classes in a certain semester. My recruiter told me that the biggest concerns are placed upon degree and graduation date. Once you sign that contract, expect hell trying to change it. You might not even be allowed to change it. I have now realized that you want to put down the classes you need to graduate and nothing else. If you want to take golf or weight training at some point in time, leave it off and try to add it later. I do not see any problem adding a class, just the removing process because when you swear in you sign a CONTRACT. If you want to change this, it requires a new ADCP, a visit with an advisor who signs the ADCP, mailing the ADCP and a letter to your processor and waiting.

9: Continue to talk to your recruiter. As part of your active duty orders, you are required to communicate with your recruiter twice a month and see them face to face once a month. Make a memo somewhere and remember to do this. Don't forget about the PRT you have to take every six months. Be sure to talk to your recruiter about your life. I recently visited Canada and my recruiter told me that I have to fill out a leave form. I almost left without doing this. As with the military, there are always forms to work on and the recruiter should know how to deal with them.

10: Sit back and brag. Making some sweet moolah while taking a very light load of credits in the last year of school has been treating me well. My friends are making minimum wage doing lame work, while I am just buying time until I graduate. Flaunt that money and get prepared!

11. Talk to your recruiter early. Just because you are a freshman does not mean you can not talk to a recruiter. I talked to mine my freshman year and he gave me some tips to prepare myself. It is better to find out in advance what you need to work on to make your application better rather than after you are not selected. Sure for non-technical majors can not apply till they are within 24 months of graduation, but that does not mean you can not work ahead. Completing the application can take months. A good goal to aim for is to be ready to sign your complete application on the first possible day. The benefits of this are proving to your recruiter you are not some random hooligan who wandered off the street in a crack-stuper who just watched Top Gun and that you can get paid for a longer period once you are in. If you are having troubles locating your Officer Recruiter, just post on Airwarriors and someone can help you.

12. Talk to your advisor about your specific requirements related to your obligation. I was required to have my advisor send a letter to my processor confirming that I graduated. This is for degrees taking a long time to get conferred. Make sure your advisor has the processor's address as well as your's so you have a copy of the letter just in case. I was also able to get my advisor to have my name put on a list so my degree would be conferred earlier than the average graduate. Some schools take days while mine can take months. Then get your transcript sent once it is finished and double check it was received by your processor.

He who fails to plan, plans to fail. Put your heart into your application because it can lead you to the best job in the world. If this is confusing or anyone has a question, just let me know and I will try to fix or add to this. If anyone has a suggestion, please hit me with it.

Tom

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Tom, congrats on the selection, good post, and thanks for taking the time to share your experiences so others can benefit.

John

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I vote to make this a best thread. Great gouge presented in an organized manner.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
In the past months I have experienced some unique situations that I want to add to my gouge that are after the fact. Here there are.

8: Plan your Academic Degree Completion Plan well. When you fill out your ADCP, you are required to take a set of classes in a certain semester. My recruiter told me that the biggest concerns are placed upon degree and graduation date. Once you sign that contract, expect hell trying to change it. You might not even be allowed to change it. I have now realized that you want to put down the classes you need to graduate and nothing else. If you want to take golf or weight training at some point in time, leave it off and try to add it later. I do not see any problem adding a class, just the removing process because when you swear in you sign a CONTRACT. If you want to change this, it requires a new ADCP, a visit with an advisor who signs the ADCP, mailing the ADCP and a letter to your processor and waiting.

9: Continue to talk to your recruiter. As part of your active duty orders, you are required to communicate with your recruiter twice a month and see them face to face once a month. Make a memo somewhere and remember to do this. Don't forget about the PRT you have to take every six months. Be sure to talk to your recruiter about your life. I recently visited Canada and my recruiter told me that I have to fill out a leave form. I almost left without doing this. As with the military, there are always forms to work on and the recruiter should know how to deal with them.

Tom

Tom

pilot
Contributor
10: Sit back and brag. Making some sweet moolah while taking a very light load of credits in the last year of school has been treating me well. My friends are making minimum wage doing lame work, while I am just buying time until I graduate. Flaunt that money and get prepared!

RHPF

pilot
Contributor

Hahaha... Enjoy it while it lasts... Congrats.

When is your OCS date?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
May 30, 2007. No matter what your recruiter said, you signed a contract to take those classes. Now, matters do arise that require a change, but that does not mean you can now major in basket weaving since you are in. The biggest points are major and graduation date.

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
Tom is correct. Major and Graduation date have to remain the same for the most part. There is a way to change them, but it requires prior approval from CNRC. That said Joyboy is also somewhat correct in that it is not a big deal if you have to take a class in a different semester or what not as long as it will not effect your graduation date.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
11. Talk to your recruiter early. Just because you are a freshman does not mean you can not talk to a recruiter. I talked to mine my freshman year and he gave me some tips to prepare myself. It is better to find out in advance what you need to work on to make your application better rather than after you are not selected. Sure for non-technical majors can not apply till they are within 24 months of graduation, but that does not mean you can not work ahead. Completing the application can take months. A good goal to aim for is to be ready to sign your complete application on the first possible day. The benefits of this are proving to your recruiter you are not some random hooligan who wandered off the street in a crack-stuper who just watched Top Gun and that you can get paid for a longer period once you are in. If you are having troubles locating your Officer Recruiter, just post on Airwarriors and someone can help you.

KVS89

Great Post, and Good Luck in OCS

Tom,

I recently joined the board for help and read your post tonight. Thanks for all this good info..

I guess you are heading out to OCS in 8 days, good luck man!