• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP: Military Discounts?

CalPolyPilot

Hey all, its been a while since I last posted. It has only been two weeks since my swear in and it still hasn't hit home. Anyways, I was wondering if I am eligible for military discounts since I am considered to be enlisted as E-3 under the BDCP.

I only ask because I want to travel over the summer and if I can get discounted airline tickets that would be awesome.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Hey all, its been a while since I last posted. It has only been two weeks since my swear in and it still hasn't hit home. Anyways, I was wondering if I am eligible for military discounts since I am considered to be enlisted as E-3 under the BDCP.

I only ask because I want to travel over the summer and if I can get discounted airline tickets that would be awesome.

Yeah, you can get military discounts. Just make sure you get your ID card.

fusu

I always feel sleezy about that. Ironically not so much about the pay checks. Go figure.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's nothing sleezy about it. You have already signed your name on the dotted line, so you might as well take advantage of the benefits. VetteMuscle is definitely right on though... get that ID card.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Get the ID and don't be afraid of asking for discounts. Where I'm from never had any, but the closer you get to military bases the better chance you have. You are not taking advantage of anything. Just be conscious that you are a nobody that has done nothing. Be proud, but don't be ashamed.

One big benefit you might be able to get is that since you are technically active duty military you might qualify for lower tuition. I got instate tuition at my school (public).

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
You can get instate tuition????

Depends ENTIRELY upon the school/state. You can declare yourself financially independent on your FAFSA which may qualify you for very, very reduced tuition rates. For example, after declaring myself financially independent on my FAFSA (because of active duty status) I simply had to go down to my school's financial aid office with enlistment papers and my tuition last semester ended up being $375. This semester? $376.

After 3 years of paying thousands a year (I paid out-of-state tuition my first year of college) it's great to spend my last year of college having only paid $750 in tuition (plus books).

So, my advice to you is to fill out a new FAFSA and submit it to your school's financial aid office and see what they say. Can't hurt.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
You owe the Navy now either way. Nothing wrong with taking your discounts, you're going to pay for them one day no matter what.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Depends ENTIRELY upon the school/state. You can declare yourself financially independent on your FAFSA which may qualify you for very, very reduced tuition rates. For example, after declaring myself financially independent on my FAFSA (because of active duty status) I simply had to go down to my school's financial aid office with enlistment papers and my tuition last semester ended up being $375. This semester? $376.

After 3 years of paying thousands a year (I paid out-of-state tuition my first year of college) it's great to spend my last year of college having only paid $750 in tuition (plus books).

So, my advice to you is to fill out a new FAFSA and submit it to your school's financial aid office and see what they say. Can't hurt.

Well I imagine I'd get something like that considering I go to a state school. That'd be awesome if I got that good of a deal.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG

I would like to know what discounted airline tickets you are talking about. Most times I have looked into it you can find another fare cheaper on travelocity or another engine as opposed to those "Military Fares."

The only good deal that I think I have found is if you buy a ticket the day before and are AD, Southwest will take 100 bucks off the price. Did that one time. But alas, there must be space available.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Never got any good airline deals for being active duty (aside from free drinks from the FA's), but if you BDCP types have CAC cards (or active duty ID), you should be able to score some good hotel deals. For example, govt/AD rate at Hyatt always seems to be pretty good, in the $114-140/night range....and they are normally right downtown, so its good for a weekend. Just paid $133/night for the Hyatt Grand in downtown Seattle over last weekend, which was a pretty good steal if you know where it is located.

Lawman

None
Delta has a special phone line specifically set up for military discount travel and its usually very competative to anything you can find elsewhere.

1-800-325-1771

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Just paid $133/night for the Hyatt Grand in downtown Seattle over last weekend, which was a pretty good steal if you know where it is located.

Did you ask you gf to marry you yet? Seems like a romantic enough place. :icon_tong

MasterBates

If MIDNJAC gets engaged, I will have to come back to CorpAss to kill him.

I often used my ID while in BDCP to get into bars without cover.