• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

bathrooms on aircraft carriers

Renegade One

None
One thing I never understood is how some ships that have this policy don't bother to use low-flow shower heads (available at any hardware store for the princely sum of $3 apiece).
Yes. I brought this up once. They probably don't have an NSN, or some other bureaucratic non-sense.
Maybe because they are all considered to be "secondary decontamination wash down stations"?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Maybe because they are all considered to be "secondary decontamination wash down stations"?

Good point... very good point- although I'd hope that if we can figure out things like nuclear reactors on submarines, shoot down ballistic missiles raining down from space, etc., then we could also figure out shower heads :rolleyes:

Renegade One

None
Good point... very good point- although I'd hope that if we can figure out things like nuclear reactors on submarines, shoot down ballistic missiles raining down from space, etc., then we could also figure out shower heads :rolleyes:
Agree. But assuming they all still have the "pinch-to-shutoff shuttle valves"…I think we've probably put about as much brain-power into the issue that it really deserves. Let's say that the engineering/design/shipbuilding and procurement folks have all done their jobs…over to you to do yours.

Unless there's a division of folks on the OPNAV or NAVSEA Staffs (of which I'm thankfully unaware) who're still working it...:eek:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It's one of those things that require a flag's attention to change, and as R1 alluded to it's not worth his time. You could install it yourself but then that's an unauthorized shipalt.

If you needed to use the shower to decon you can switch the head before they have the guy exiting the spill area.

Renegade One

None
If you needed to use the shower to decon you can switch the head before they have the guy exiting the spill area.
Pretty sure that's on no one's "checklist".

1MC: (multiple bell rings…) "Now, away the Shower Head Reconfiguration Team, away…Main Deck and above. Report shower-head re-configuration status to DC Central at Extension 3333. Now away!"

BigRed389

None
It's one of those things that require a flag's attention to change, and as R1 alluded to it's not worth his time. You could install it yourself but then that's an unauthorized shipalt.

Does that actually make sense on a CVN?

I have no idea how they're set up on bird farms, but on a DDG (and any other new design, pressurized ship), without elaborating on the specifics, that idea would...not work well.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Nothing worse than being about 30 minutes into a 3.0 plane guard hop, dressed out as the swimmer and have a "colon overpressure caution light" illuminate! Been the and done that in H-60...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Given that I've seen 4-5 different commercially available cheap-o showerheads on a variety of boats, I doubt very much that there's some kind of NAVSEA mandated showerhead spec. If there is, it's not being followed, which brings us back to the original question: If they're installing random cheap-o showerheads, why not the more efficient type?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mostly because I've been saving this one...

I happen to really enjoy the high pressure/low volume shower heads, so I install them wherever I go. These things cost just a few dollars at WalMart.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice!

You got to stay at the Peninsula?
Nope, just a fuel stop!:p
Outstanding! We're just low lifes and aren't allowed there these days. You must have been a higher form of Meecham back then.
Nope, no pukin' veggie beef soup in the hi-$$$ Peninsula! Never stayed in a room there, just enjoyed cold St. Pauli Girls brewskis in the beautiful lobby lounge in the afternoons. Then night clubbing in the evening before returning to our low-$ hotel! Good times... :)
BzB