• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

bathrooms on aircraft carriers

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
We had just gotten to FL 270 after the big Texan on a XC. This was not going to wait for the descent, and we ended up diverting.

He goes "I'm pinning my seat, the iss is solo, fly straight and level cause I'm shitting my pants right now." Nothing more was ever said.

Was that the one they had to change the seat out of as a result?

AirGuy

Btw, is there a limit on how long you can take a shower?

I'm guessing the bathrooms on the USS Ford would somewhat more available right. With less people and EMALS catapults. Or would they just use the extra space to store more fuel and what not.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're supposed to just get wet, turn the water off, soap up, then rinse, instead of taking Hollywood showers (just leaving the water on). It's much more strictly enforced as the ship's water level gets lower.

Modern ships use Reverse Osmosis plants to generate potable water. They are way better than evaporators. You don't really have to take the classic Hollywood shower anymore unless your ship is going on water hours. New DDGs actually pump potable water overboard pretty frequently because they make so much.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You're supposed to just get wet, turn the water off, soap up, then rinse, instead of taking Hollywood showers (just leaving the water on). It's much more strictly enforced as the ship's water level gets lower.

One thing I never understood is how some ships that have this policy don't bother to use low-flow shower heads (available at any hardware store for the princely sum of $3 apiece).

A7Dave

pilot
Can you top this... launched off USS Boat in the C-1A 500 miles out, with a load of pax bound for Hong Kong. The wx got 'claggy' with multi layers enroute, and by the time we could establish contact w/ HK Approach, we were well past the point of no go bock sheep. We wanted a radar/PAR into Kai Tak (in 1972) but we & the controllers couldn't understand each other... their English was Chinese to us, and I guess our English was bad Chinese to them. I started sweating it as we neared the mainland, then magically through a break in the cloud decks, visually pick up the outer islands & slid underneath for a visual approach. That in itself was hairy. It was a much steeper than normal glide path, due to high-rise buildings under/near runway extended centerline. A thrill a miute sliding down the slope, peripherally seeing buildings more elevated than YOU, flashing by both sides.:eek: Luckily, the Trader didn't have a long rollout! Much jubilation that evening at the Peninsula Hotel, calming shattered nerves. Hallalujah for HK's beautiful relatively new, modern, mucho safer airport!:)
View attachment 12228View attachment 12229
BzB
Nice!

You got to stay at the Peninsula? Outstanding! We're just low lifes and aren't allowed there these days. You must have been a higher form of Meecham back then.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Modern ships use Reverse Osmosis plants to generate potable water. They are way better than evaporators. You don't really have to take the classic Hollywood shower anymore unless your ship is going on water hours. New DDGs actually pump potable water overboard pretty frequently because they make so much.
M-divers always hated starting up/shutting down the RO units 2-3x a day, since it takes 25-30 min for a trained operator to do.

Unfortunately, they don't expand the size of the san tanks to go along with the increased, reliable water output.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Btw, is there a limit on how long you can take a shower?

I'm guessing the bathrooms on the USS Ford would somewhat more available right. With less people and EMALS catapults. Or would they just use the extra space to store more fuel and what not.

I tested it out. No limit. It just keeps on coming out. It's hot too!

Use the extra space for crew comfort? Good one!

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
One thing I never understood is how some ships that have this policy don't bother to use low-flow shower heads (available at any hardware store for the princely sum of $3 apiece).
Unless they are made by disadvantaged female native Americans who also happen to be disabled veterans. Those cost $250 each.

exNavyOffRec

The advantage (one of) to RO is the reduced start up time, when we would do propulsion plant drills often the DU's would be dumped during them as the DU watch would be busy assisting in casualty response, there are advantages to the standard old school DU, but those are generally situations when the shit has hit the fan.

There were several times when we would dump clean water for hours, generally it was when we had gone without drills, and flight ops were infrequent, of course if was more frequent to hear "where is all our f***ing water!!!!"

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I never had to worry about Hollywood showers, than at 03:00 not many people are taking showers. For the most part it was just us VAQ troubleshooters getting off after last recoverey, all the rest of the squadrons seemed to have 2 sets of troubleshooters and we operated with one set. I recall way too many 23+ hour days launching and recovering aircraft, oh well tat builds character I guess. :eek:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All you guys with your carrier water stories are so cute. Garden hose, bar of soap, on the flight deck....and on more than one occasion. The only thing authorized water were the helo and the water fountains.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All you guys with your carrier water stories are so cute. Garden hose, bar of soap, on the flight deck....and on more than one occasion. The only thing authorized water were the helo and the water fountains.

Yet another reason to go helos!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes. I brought this up once. They probably don't have an NSN, or some other bureaucratic non-sense.