• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

bathrooms on aircraft carriers

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You'll be happy to know, that even with brand new ROs, we still have water hours. Hooray!

Rough. I've done two deployments on two ships from your same water front, both with the "new" RO systems and life was pretty good, so I'm surprised to hear that. Compare that with my first two deployments, before they removed the evaps, where water absolutely sucked. I'd be interested to hear your hull number, just for comparison's sake.

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
Thread drift...While enlisted on a 637 sub we had to pressurize the $#!T tanks to blow them overboard. About once every other month someone would accidentally open the valve on the toilet and empty a few hundred gallons of sewage into the head under high pressure. Actions like that, plus dirty men that we are, coupled with decades of service cause these heads to be not that great, on ANY ship!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thread drift...While enlisted on a 637 sub we had to pressurize the "Sanitary" tanks to blow them overboard. About once every other month someone would accidentally open the valve on the toilet and empty a few hundred gallons of sewage into the head under high pressure. Actions like that, plus dirty men that we are, coupled with decades of service cause these heads to be not that great, on ANY ship!
FIFY!

When I was fresh out of Sub School (in 1955) on my first Sub USS Cavalla (SSK-244) a WWII diesel boat, part of the newbee orientation, was a demo & practice of pressurizing the sanitary tank , opening/shutting certain valves to empty them overboard. On the first session, the PO conducting the session, would purposefully reverse the last two steps so that upon the last step (opening the crapper flapper, vice opening the "discharge to sea" valve), as the PO instructor shut the head door & vanished, the pressurized sewage would blast up through the toilet, spraying crap all over the walls of the phone-booth sized "one-holer". The terrified newbee stood with wide eyeballs, looking like a turd-decorated Christmas tree & odiferous as 1000 beer farts!:eek:

After 2-3 hours cleaning up/sanitizing himself & the tiny head/shower (serving 70 enlisted), a group of Shipmates gave a rousing "Welcome to the Submarine Service"!:p

USS Cavalla - 1955, & today a land-bound Submarine Museum in Galveston, TX. Honored with a PUC & CO/NC, for sinking the IJN Carrier Shokaku on 19 June, 1944 @ the Marianas "Turkey Shoot".
SSK-244 Underway Thames River.jpg A-USS CAVALLA.jpg
Crews Head My Bunk SSK-244 Sail
crews Head (Phone booth size).jpg My Cozy Bunk!.jpg B- The Sail.jpg
BzB

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
The Navy seems to keep getting a little more "kind and gentle" as the years go by. My induction into the sub service was bad enough without the crap camouflage!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy seems to keep getting a little more "kind and gentle" as the years go by. My induction into the sub service was bad enough without the crap camouflage!
Meh, It was what it was... an old [fun], if 'grungy' SS tradition tossed aside along with:

Polliwog to Shellback crossing the Equator Initiation
CPO Initiation
Badge pinning restrictions
Imposition of mass punishment for the ARIs of only a very few violators, a sure morale killer
Imposition of rigid PC screening of Pilot callsign/nicknames
Elimination of most O & E Clubs, onerous alcohol restrictions on those remaining
Loss of traditional Navy uniforms... AWGs, SDKs, chambray dungarees, etc.
And on and on... just my opinion!:confused:

John Paul Jones, and "Bull" Halsey would be horrified at today's 'pussified' Navy!:(
BzB
.....the pressurized sewage would blast up through the toilet, spraying crap all over the walls of the phone-booth sized "one-holer". The terrified newbee stood with wide eyeballs, looking like a turd-decorated Christmas tree & odiferous as 1000 beer farts!:eek:
I sort of imagine this going on with you guys discussing your shower heads:
Funny video, the gushing shower head reminds me of my quote above.;)

Well, after all... it IS a "head thread"!:D
BzB