• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Basket Leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

semperfi1812

Alpha Co '04
I have heard that all students will get basket leave for the Christmas/New Years break. What are you hearing for those of you who are already there and are there secure enough dates that I would dare to try and get some plane tickets now?

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Hey Semperfi1812,

Just wanted to see if you knew anyone from the Salt Lake OSO station.

semperfi1812

Alpha Co '04
Crowbar said:
https://www.tbs.usmc.mil/Pages/Officer Courses/Schedule/TBS TEEP 0405101.htm

Take it for what it's worth, there's a gap between 17 December and 3 January...

Thanks, I have seen that schedule. I have heard that it pretty much suggested strongly that you leave because there will be no body (i.e. staff, and support) around. Is there a chance that Lt's will get shafted with some kind of duty or something stupid like that? Or is it just expected that you get to leave?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Well... As of last year it was no longer basket leave, because they do in fact charge you for the leave. It used to be that the leave was not charged at all for TBS. To answer your question SemperFi, it would be fine to buy Xmas tickets now, even if you do not have enough leave time saved up, they will let you (and even encourage you) to go.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Taxman2A said:
Well... As of last year it was no longer basket leave, because they do in fact charge you for the leave. It used to be that the leave was not charged at all for TBS. To answer your question SemperFi, it would be fine to buy Xmas tickets now, even if you do not have enough leave time saved up, they will let you (and even encourage you) to go.

Well, isn't that gay. I was getting all worked up over the free leave we were "supposed" to get. Damn it!

semperfi1812

Alpha Co '04
yeah, definately gay. How do they charge you for your leave. Literally, like they deduct if from your pay, or do they just take it out of leave you would build up for later use.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
The way they do it now is that you get 2 96 (hour) liberty times. One for xmas, one for New Years. If you want to take any more time off than that, you need to take leave. Sucks, huh?

During the time you don't have class but aren't on leave/libo you have little musters and PT sometimes.

As a reminder, you can't just take leave minus those 8 days, either, because you have to be in the area to check in or out on leave. Some people want to bridge the gap between them with leave but don't realize even doing that means they have to go on the 96, come back, check out on leave, go wherever, come back to check in from leave, then go wherever.

Again, it sucks. But that is the current policy. That doesn't mean it won't change for when you get here, though. These things tend to change a lot.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
In Fox Co, last year, it was basically up to our company staff whether or not they charged us leave. I did a half-and-half thing, and I'm kind of regretting it, because now I've already got a metric a$s ton of leave on the books. There's not really a bunch of opportunities to take leave in the pilot pipeline, either, even if you're going through during the holidays like me. I tried to do the safe thing and keep a buffer of leave days on the books, just in case, which isn't necessarilly a bad idea. But tons of people in my company went in the hole on leave and had no problems later on. I, on the other hand, am pushing 40 days on the books, and unless you're in a combat zone, you can't keep more than 60 at the end of a fiscal year.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
PSno23 said:
So are you saying we're not going to get a full two weeks off for the holidays?

No, that's not what he said. You will get the 2 weeks off of training no matter what. You will be charged leave for those days if you choose to take leave. If you do not take leave you will have 96 hours off for Xmas, 96 hours off for New Years. The other working days in between you will come in for morning formation, maybe do PT, maybe mop some floors, and go home early. His point was that while you could save the days and not go on leave, it's not a bad idea to just take leave.

semperfi1812

Alpha Co '04
so is it suggested by those who know that it would be wise to wait and find out what is going to actually be the case and get bent over with more expensive plane tickets, or is it pretty much a given that i could get them now and just go in the hole for leave. The other question is this. Would it be wise to be there a few of those days to be able get things squared away or is there enough time other wise.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Talk to your OSO and see if they will take you as a PTAD LT, so you won't have to lose leave. They changed the policy (I hear) because of the new TBS CO.

Having a lot of leave on the books is something you might as well get used to. Regardless of MOS you'll find yourself not taking leave due to having a 96 every month of the year almost. However, leave is like the rule of cigarettes "If you gotta 'em, smoke 'em."

Think forward with leave though because you rate 30 days of leave from your MOS school to the next duty station. Depending on that follow on school from TBS, they may or may not allow you to go in the hole with leave. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.