• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BAH for newly commissioned officers

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
This is something for all you soon to be commissionees to heed. I just got off the phone with my PSD after my BAH was coming up about $200/month short, and this is the story I got. Aparently late last year the Navy or the DOD he wasnt specific about placing blame, decided they were wasting a TON of money paying full BAH to the new officers at the academies even though they had room and board, SOOOO.. ALL new officers w/ no prior enlisted time are only paid at the base BAH rate of like $527/mo until you reach your first duty station. Something to pay attention to if you were planning on banking it while you are stashed....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
This is something for all you soon to be commissionees to heed. I just got off the phone with my PSD after my BAH was coming up about $200/month short, and this is the story I got. Aparently late last year the Navy or the DOD he wasnt specific about placing blame, decided they were wasting a TON of money paying full BAH to the new officers at the academies even though they had room and board, SOOOO.. ALL new officers w/ no prior enlisted time are only paid at the base BAH rate of like $527/mo until you reach your first duty station. Something to pay attention to if you were planning on banking it while you are stashed....

so does this apply to non-academy types to are legitimately paying rent? B/c if so this is BS :icon_rage

**edit: nevermind.....noted the ALL part of your post. This is lame

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
ALL new officers w/ no prior enlisted time are only paid at the base BAH rate of like $527/mo until you reach your first duty station. Something to pay attention to if you were planning on banking it while you are stashed....

I think this is to avoid situations such as my cousin's: He was a USNA grad who got OHARP duty in Atlanta and rake in Annapolis BAH ($900 at the time) while he was living at home. Compare that to the OCS guy who does OHARP and gets ZERO BAH.

This is obviously an extreme situation, but that sucks for anyone who gets stashed non-OHARP.

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
So the story I got, was this is based on the USNA situation... but yes it applies to everyone... which I told the PO was garbage... I'm paying rent too, but Pensacola will count as my first duty station, WUHU!, so it'll be a nice jump when I get there... maybe thats why I am getting PCS orders (SNA)?!? Who knows.. just wanted to put the heads up out there, so noone is spending something they aren't going to get...

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Aparently late last year the Navy or the DOD he wasnt specific about placing blame, decided they were wasting a TON of money paying full BAH to the new officers at the academies even though they had room and board...

This doesn't make any sense... Academy guys don't stay in Bancroft after they graduate. I don't see any difference between USNA and NROTC guys after graduation, except that Academy guys want to get the hell out of there all the more.

pilotpete24

Sorry, I'm kinda new here and to the Navy so maybe I don't understand this correctly. If go to P-cola for SNFO are you saying that I will not recieve the full BAH after OCS; or since I am going to school in P-cola is that, in fact, my first duty station. I'm wanting to move my family down after OCS so this is kinda important to me. Thanks!

steeleshark2

None
Sorry, I'm kinda new here and to the Navy so maybe I don't understand this correctly. If go to P-cola for SNFO are you saying that I will not recieve the full BAH after OCS; or since I am going to school in P-cola is that, in fact, my first duty station. I'm wanting to move my family down after OCS so this is kinda important to me. Thanks!
Lets fix this for good. If you are in Pensacola and live out in town, you will get your FULL BAH rate for Pensacola (single or married which ever you are).

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
This doesn't make any sense... Academy guys don't stay in Bancroft after they graduate. I don't see any difference between USNA and NROTC guys after graduation, except that Academy guys want to get the hell out of there all the more.

Hey man, just the story I got... and I disagree about getting the hell outa where you are more... its currently 18 degree with a windchill of -1 here in the middle of BFE...Pensacola is sunny ~60, so ... sunny or so cold you balls might fall off, im scratching at the door to bounce.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
Hey man, just the story I got... QUOTE]

That story is crap! As xmid said, as soon as you graduate USNA, you are out in town paying rent like everyone else if you are sticking around for your stash time, not staying in the hall....ie they don't have room and board paid for. The only logical reason for this policy would be that they don't want to start paying bah (at the Annapolis rate for instance) after grad/comm while the guys are on leave or enroute to P'cola, etc, which can be a couple of month process, or similar situations with stashes for Oharp, etc. With this in mind, it is the same argument that can be made for the ROTC guys, etc. You are in the same sitation as the boat school guys....post comm, stashed or at home waiting for your first duty station (probably living at home in a lot of cases) so it is the SAME waste for them to pay you full BAH just to bank prior to reporting to your first duty station. There are obvious exceptions where you are paying rent, but you were before and they are not leaving you with nothing according to the $figure posted by the OP. Thus you are not getting screwed, and you are not getting screwed because of the Academy guys by following that logic. As stated by the OP, this sucks if you were planning on "banking" it while stashed". I would put out there that BAH is meant to offset the cost of housing, so why would you think that you are "entitled" to extra money to "bank" (money not needed for housing or whatever) at the Navy's expense? It works out that you have a little extra sometimes, but it is not a right that you magically have once commisioned, to get free money to pad your bank account for hookers and blow. Once you get to your first duty station you will be paid at the full rate for that location, so for now be happy that you are getting the extra $527 that you were not getting to help with your rent/bank account before. There was a time when you had to take your lease in and that is what you got up to the max allowed for your location. (Meaning that if your rent was less...you got less...if more than max it came out of your pocket!) I hate bad gouge!

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
Hey man, just the story I got... QUOTE]

That story is crap! As xmid said, as soon as you graduate USNA, you are out in town paying rent like everyone else if you are sticking around for your stash time, not staying in the hall....ie they don't have room and board paid for. The only logical reason for this policy would be that they don't want to start paying bah (at the Annapolis rate for instance) after grad/comm while the guys are on leave or enroute to P'cola, etc, which can be a couple of month process, or similar situations with stashes for Oharp, etc. With this in mind, it is the same argument that can be made for the ROTC guys, etc. You are in the same sitation as the boat school guys....post comm, stashed or at home waiting for your first duty station (probably living at home in a lot of cases) so it is the SAME waste for them to pay you full BAH just to bank prior to reporting to your first duty station. There are obvious exceptions where you are paying rent, but you were before and they are not leaving you with nothing according to the $figure posted by the OP. Thus you are not getting screwed, and you are not getting screwed because of the Academy guys by following that logic. As stated by the OP, this sucks if you were planning on "banking" it while stashed". I would put out there that BAH is meant to offset the cost of housing, so why would you think that you are "entitled" to extra money to "bank" (money not needed for housing or whatever) at the Navy's expense? It works out that you have a little extra sometimes, but it is not a right that you magically have once commisioned, to get free money to pad your bank account for hookers and blow. Once you get to your first duty station you will be paid at the full rate for that location, so for now be happy that you are getting the extra $527 that you were not getting to help with your rent/bank account before. There was a time when you had to take your lease in and that is what you got up to the max allowed for your location. (Meaning that if your rent was less...you got less...if more than max it came out of your pocket!) I hate bad gouge!

Point being if you signed a lease in college like I did knowing you were going to be a December grad with the intention that you were getting $X but in fact you are getting $X-$200 its something that the ensigns might want to put in their budgets. I don't know how it works at the academy, but rotc guys dont get to go home. The point of the thread is not to be a dick or get people defensive, but some people work with a budget, and this is just letting them know. plan for X.. especially if you go to a school in a nice big city where rent can easily toppel $1000+/month. Thankfully I do not but it also still doesnt cover my rent.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Point being if you signed a lease in college like I did knowing you were going to be a December grad with the intention that you were getting $X but in fact you are getting $X-$200 its something that the ensigns might want to put in their budgets. I don't know how it works at the academy, but rotc guys dont get to go home. The point of the thread is not to be a dick or get people defensive, but some people work with a budget, and this is just letting them know. plan for X.. especially if you go to a school in a nice big city where rent can easily toppel $1000+/month. Thankfully I do not but it also still doesnt cover my rent.

hey, thanks for the heads up....is there a link to the official policy by chance?