• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bad day in the sim

TheGreatWaldo

pilot
All poor spelling aside (I went to a state school :)), quite worked well for me because I tried to add real world distractions in my head and I need to concentrate to come up with as many scenarios as possible. I definently see the benefit of adding distractions for some people, though.

Third time's a charm:icon_tong

phrogpilot73

I tape recorded all my EP's on a microcasette, and then used them as audio flashcards while driving to my sims. There was enough distraction dealing with NW Florida drivers... That same technique (doing stuff while driving) worked for some of my advanced quals. I'd pick two makes (not model) of car before I left for work, one friendly, and one a bandit or bogey. The whole drive into work "Visual one, talley two." While fighter/attack guys (to include the skid kids) may laugh at me, it helped an assault support pilot wrap his brain around a whole new lexicon in the air that I was unfamiliar with...

60B Rotorhead

pilot
I would say doing EP's while driving is definitely a great way to learn them, I still do it.
As for Instruments, they are a pain, however it gets easier. With your scan, you know that at least one instrument is going to be moving (this will be your compass during a turn or altimeter during a climb or descent). One instructor once told me that while that is happening, drop that instrument out of a rotation or two of your scan, reference it, and if it isn't close to your roll out heading/altitude, skip it again for a couple times then come back. When you are close to your roll out/level off, check it more frequently. It will start to come naturally. Also, when you chair fly, put that chart of the instrument panel they should have given you up on the wall in front of you and scan it while you talk yourself through the maneuvers. If you have a roommate in the program, start grilling each other out of the blue on EPs and maneuver procedures (such as while making dinner or in the drive through), each one you miss is a round you have to buy.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Partial News Report:

".... As the semi-conscious driver was pulled from the smoking wreck that used to be his automobile before the multiple roll-over accident ... he was faintly heard mumbling clipped phrases that were later identified as Emergency Procedures for a U.S. Navy aircraft ... he was mumbling them in near-perfect cadence with the 30 minute tape that was found to still be running in his recorder .... "

/Partial News Report.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
You did that bad on a BI flight?! OMFG you're getting helos.

No, seriously dude, just kidding. Don't worry about it. You'll have good flights, you'll have bad flights. Just try to keep the good > bad and you'll be GTG.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Could also be you just suck :) It happens. Take your flight gloves and write on the left knuckles, FUCK and on the right side, IT. When you do bad, make fists, turn towards you and read....fuck it. That means forget about it and move on.

phrogpilot73

You did that bad on a BI flight?! OMFG you're getting helos.
If tanking a BI SIM means you're getting helos in today's grading system, then I say tank every fucking one of them. You'll be happy you did!

Could also be you just suck :) It happens. Take your flight gloves and write on the left knuckles, FUCK and on the right side, IT. When you do bad, make fists, turn towards you and read....fuck it. That means forget about it and move on.
Quite possibly the best advice I've ever seen on Airwarriors. I wish I had thought to do that in flight school...

Malice 1

pilot
All good advice so far. I must add though....

The sim instructors are not known for thier good standardization. You might have just had a dickhead instructor. Some are worse than others. There are a couple that I had to write up because they told me the FTI was wrong and I should do a procedure thier way.

Like everyone else said, just move on. It's not the end of the world.

VAmookie

Anyone know how much $$ those lockheed/retired military people make that run the sims? Seems like that could be a good job after getting out, not sure

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Anyone know how much $$ those lockheed/retired military people make that run the sims? Seems like that could be a good job after getting out, not sure

I dunno how much each instructor clears, but when we checked into the squadron they kept saying the sims cost the squadron around $800 for each one (the full motion helo sims). So, figure you can have 6 of those per block, 15 times a day, that adds up.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Partial News Report:

".... As the semi-conscious driver was pulled from the smoking wreck that used to be his automobile before the multiple roll-over accident ... he was faintly heard mumbling clipped phrases that were later identified as Emergency Procedures for a U.S. Navy aircraft ... he was mumbling them in near-perfect cadence with the 30 minute tape that was found to still be running in his recorder .... "

/Partial News Report.

Is that for real?:eek: