• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BACN Mishap

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I now do know that. Did you know that european cars measure distance in something other than miles? Something you might want to consider if you're thinking about using the duty van to measure, say, a PFA course.
Or is that just called "doing your shipmates a solid?" :D

East

东部
Contributor
Back in the day we were 'flight testing' the MD-11 after Heavy Maintenance and the checklist required Engine shutdowns and re-starts. We trained the whole profile several time in the SIM. We were at FL 300 and briefed sequences; Eng #3 shutdown, re-light, followed by #1 and so on. After the Co-Captain shutdown #3, we awaited the spooldown until we could re-light #3 by means of a windmill start. With sufficient N1, the Co-Captain switched "FUEL ON" and while we monitored the N2, Oil Px, EGT and FF within 120s, the Co-Captain shuts down ENG #1 without calling it out...we looked at each other WTF? We could not kept altitude with only #2 running and #1 spooling down and #3 accelerating and had to call ATC for an immediate FL change...If something can go wrong, it will one day.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Whoa, multiple times? In all my sim flying, 10 or so years Navy and over 30 airline, I didn't see that once. Of course it happens, that's why this thread. But to have multiple pilots grab the wrong engine on you in simulator training over the years seems an outlier. It must have to do with the actual simulated scenario, the airframe or training.
Fist time was my initial natops sim check in the 60 rag. Had an engine fire with immediate ditch scenario. I caught the guy grabbing the wrong handle and stopped him before pulling it.

Then twice in my aqp training a guy touched the wrong lever. Neither time did the wrong engine get shut off, and I don’t know if in the heat of the moment in an actual emergency if the people would have waited for concurrence. I do make it a habit to be holding on to the good lever now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fist time was my initial natops sim check in the 60 rag. Had an engine fire with immediate ditch scenario. I caught the guy grabbing the wrong handle and stopped him before pulling it.

Then twice in my aqp training a guy touched the wrong lever. Neither time did the wrong engine get shut off, and I don’t know if in the heat of the moment in an actual emergency if the people would have waited for concurrence. I do make it a habit to be holding on to the good lever now.

I would say greater than 50% of the time when giving an engine EP, I would intentionally grab the wrong PCL/handle to make sure the student was paying attention and actually conducting dual concurrence. It wasn't hard to get CAT 1s to concur when they shouldn't. Usually fleet guys would catch it.

Now in the -135, since it's only switches, and the simulated EP doesn't look like the actual EP, I usually cross check the VEMD with the twist grip about 3 times to make sure I'm moving the right one. "Lots of yellow on the #1 side, #1 twist grip is the forward grip. Okay, adjusting #1 twist grip." <fondles seam between the two twist grips 3 more times before rolling #1 twist grip>

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
. I do make it a habit to be holding on to the good lever now.
Good on ya. I learned that in the
S-3. Copilot could not move throttles to idle off. The left seat always shut down engines and the guy in the right seat could not see the throttles to confirm what he was about to do. We always grabbed the operating engine throttle. I carried that to the airline where procedure was a simple verbal confirmation and that is all most guys did.

Pags

N/A
pilot
What's the big deal about multiple new world record 1.5 mile times?
Apparently nothing. Other than guffawing amongst those who noticed it nothing was said or done. Although you could make a case that this may have been a "leading indicator" that certain folks involved might have problems later down the road....

taxi1

pilot
What's the big deal about multiple new world record 1.5 mile times?
When I first started reserving, I was made PRT coordinator in a top heavy unit. The Skipper, an O6 former college wrestler with trashed knees, measured the course with his car. We called it the “Hazara memorial mile”. It was a tricky process negotiating multipliers with the “athletes”.

We had an O5 show up for the weekend without his PT gear. He ran it in his khakis and set a personal best. :)

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Best new guy fast hands moment I saw was from the jump seat in P-8. Senior 2P prepping for her PPC ride, so put her in the seat with the noob 3P, had them fly all the way from KNUW to KBIL.

3P started getting well above GS on initial descent, 2P instructs him to use speed brake. 3P grabs thrust-reversers, 2P fucking Judy-Chops his wrist and takes the controls.

I still laugh with the pure look of “WTF?!” on her face, 3P just ate the shame...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Best new guy fast hands moment I saw was from the jump seat in P-8. Senior 2P prepping for her PPC ride, so put her in the seat with the noob 3P, had them fly all the way from KNUW to KBIL.

3P started getting well above GS on initial descent, 2P instructs him to use speed brake. 3P grabs thrust-reversers, 2P fucking Judy-Chops his wrist and takes the controls.

I still laugh with the pure look of “WTF?!” on her face, 3P just ate the shame...

Will the reversers actually engage without weight on wheels?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Will the reversers actually engage without weight on wheels?
It might include a wheel spin up input (from the anti skid system) along with the input from the radar altimeter that @Treetop Flyer mentioned, combined with some and/or logic with the WOW switches. Some thrust reverser systems are engineered that way so they'll still work if something malfunctions with any of the inputs but there are still safeguards while you're airborne. Dunno if that applies to the 737 or the Navy P-8 though.

Ultimately what makes the buckets engage, once whatever safety interlocks are disengaged, is a little bit of electricity to a solenoid somewhere down the line, that redirects whatever big ass actuators move the buckets themselves (hydraulic, bleed air, etc.).

Sorta preaching to the choir but I think we're all in the "get your hands off of those" camp- no matter how your individual aircraft systems work.

Last edited: