• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

background investigations

cedesq

Does anyone know what the people conducting background investigations do exactly, and by this I mean: do they go to your work-place and/or neighborhood and just talk to anyone? If so, will they identify themselves or be wearing a uniform? Will they just start asking questions, or will they tell people the reason why they are asking questions, ie, do they say that you are applying for a job that requires "security clearance"? I just don't think that would be a good thing, to have that kind of information out there in the "public domain" if you will . . . So, if they don't say that (which I would think they don't), then what if any explanation do they give for all the questions they have about you? I'm just wondering what to expect, and a bit concerned that some of my neighbors might freak out if some stranger shows up asking questions about me . . . thanks for any light anyone can shed on this process. . .

BigRed389

None
I haven't gone through the process myself, however I was a reference for a friend who needed a SECRET clearance to work for Lockheed.

All I got was a standardized form from some government agency asking me to check off boxes. When I got to certain questions I was tempted to mention some nights of drunken exuberance, but decided not to be an a-hole.

But that wasn't for a military position, so I don't know if that's different. He was one lucky s.o.b. that the form came literally DAYS before I moved out of the apartment though.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
cedesq said:
Does anyone know what the people conducting background investigations do exactly, and by this I mean: do they go to your work-place and/or neighborhood and just talk to anyone? If so, will they identify themselves or be wearing a uniform? Will they just start asking questions, or will they tell people the reason why they are asking questions, ie, do they say that you are applying for a job that requires "security clearance"? I just don't think that would be a good thing, to have that kind of information out there in the "public domain" if you will . . . So, if they don't say that (which I would think they don't), then what if any explanation do they give for all the questions they have about you? I'm just wondering what to expect, and a bit concerned that some of my neighbors might freak out if some stranger shows up asking questions about me . . . thanks for any light anyone can shed on this process. . .
For a TS clearance, a plain clothed DSS officer will interview various people to include family, neighbors, employers, etc. It's no big deal, really.

Brett

pdx

HSM Pilot
For a secret clearance (which all officers need), you have to fill out a complete EPSQ (electronic p-something security questionnaire). They will do credit checks and other database searches, but they will not USUALLY check any of your references. They are entitled to, however.

You should fess up to anything that is on record anywhere because they will most likely find it.

For a TS, they will do an SSBI (Single Scope Background Investigation). This does entail interviews with your references, as well as other people that they can dig up (roommates, ex-spouses/girlfriends, bosses, etc). Just because somebody says something bad about you, it doesn't mean you won't get your clearance. They are just looking to see if you have patterns of irresponsible behavior, you are a blackmain threat, or you have lied about anything.

When my old college roommate got hired by No Such Agency (NSA), an FBI officer showed up at my doorstep at 7 am on a Saturday to flash his badge and ask me questions.

My roommate was a pretty wild guy as a youngster in college - he had even smoked dope and some other things you are definately not allowed to do as an officer. He had to take a polygraph (although I don't believe this is a requirement for normal TS clearances). He fessed up before the polygraph so it was not a disqualifying factor. They asked him "have you ever used any illegal substance," but they also asked him "have you ever used marijauna while in a position of public respect, authority, or responsibility."

I think if you are going to be an FBI special agent or something, they want somebody who is squeaky clean. For an NSA engineer, however, there is a little more wiggle room as long as you are responsible and not a security threat.

I imagine a Naval Officer fall somewhere in between. If you pop dirty on a drug test now, they will toss you out on your a$$. If you tried a joint when you were a freshman, they will work with you. Same goes for financial problems, etc. Also, there is a big difference between fathering 15 illegitimate children and having a few questionable hookups.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ Pretty much how it is. I actually "entertained" a conspicuously attractive female DSS agent in my apartment while she was inquiring about my neighbors (VMFAT-101 studs).

Brett

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
Brett327 said:
^^ Pretty much how it is. I actually "entertained" a conspicuously attractive female DSS agent in my apartment while she was inquiring about my neighbors (VMFAT-101 studs).

Brett

As did I, a few months ago. Talk about the WORST day to wake up, severely hungover, throw on some gym shorts and and old T, and answer the door with your worst DOG breath and unkempt hair....I wanted to hit on her, but it was obvious I wasn't going to get anywhere looking/smelling like that. I wish she hadn't surprised me on a Saturday morning. I wish I'd known she was going to be HOT.

cedesq

I'm getting the impression these investigators show up (1) early, and (2) unannounced. Is that the case also for the candidate, or will I at least get a courtesy call to set up the interview?

pdx

HSM Pilot
My investigator set up a convenient time and came to me. I think unannounced is for references.

Birdman

Barnard1425 said:
The interview with the subject is set up at a mutually convenient time and place. I did mine at a Mexican restaurant. We literally discussed my application over chips and salsa.

I was going to order a few tequila shots but figured it would be frowned upon. :D
Is expirmental marijauna use that you admit to a DQ for a top secret clearance?

pdx

HSM Pilot
There are many threads on this. You could search the forum, or just look 8 posts above this one.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
It's actually an interesting time- your friends will call you and ask about the guy who stopped by their place of work and ask about terrorist connections

Or, you could just give your references a heads up that you put them on the list so they aren't so surprised...