• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Background check during flight school.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
The episode was over a year ago so I'm not on any meds and I'm in the process of getting my medical records. Thanks for the advice.

Also, did you by chance drink a shit ton of energy drinks on an empty stomach? I have to be honest with you, you probably have a big battle ahead of you, and the only thing that came to mind that would make this explainable in a remotely easy way would be something induced by a foreign substance in your body that wasn't illegal (another host of issues).

Renegade One

None
Most of us "old school guys" were probably hired/accepted because we WERE crazy (but no meds…and no medical documentation involved…).

Sample question from a "long ago version" of the ASTB:

"Would you rather play a piano concerto to a full auditorium or throw up on a full bus?"

(HINT: Correct answers, at the time, were gleaned from the surveyed responses of over 500 Naval Aviators/Flight Officers who had all flown 100+ combat missions over North Vietnam. There was no actual basis in NASA-style logic…just what-the-fuck seemed to work in combat.) I'm sure we've gotten "smarter" since then...;)

Renegade One

None
You chose wisely.

Alternatively, you may have had what NAMI called "The Right Stuff"…at the right time.

Of course, you might just be bat-shit crazy, but that seemed to be of value, once upon a time. May be again, I dunno. Probably not any time soon.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I just picked the one I've already done. Never got around to learning piano...carnie hands and all.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Sample question from a "long ago version" of the ASTB:

"Would you rather play a piano concerto to a full auditorium or throw up on a full bus?"

The AFOQT had one that said "I would like to be a scientist - agree or disagree" - and I was thinking "Shit, I'm a scientist right now and it ain't bad....but I want to be a pilot...hmm....what to say...."

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I am trying to become a naval aviator. I am currently in Texas A&M's ROTC program, and I heard that during flight school they conduct an FBI background check. My criminal and civil records are clean, but I have one hospitalization that I'm not sure if I should tell them about, or if they will ask consent for medical records and find out. I was hospitalized for a psychotic episode induced by stress, lack of sleep, and lack of eating. It was my first college semester, I was taking 18 credit hours, and I tried to cram three weeks of work into three days drinking nothing but coffee and energy drinks before midterms and pretty much snapped. I don't want to hide anything on my background, especially if they find something I am trying to hide, which seems even worse than telling them about, but I don't want to ruin my dream of becoming a fighter pilot by telling them something that, in my humble opinion, is irrelevant, which might potentially drop me out of flight school. So my question is, does the FBI request consent to search medical records on SNAs during flight school? And would this episode be grounds to keep me from becoming a pilot for the Navy?

Yes, there will be a background check. Part of it as mentioned deals with Psych stuff. Just be open with all of it if you get to the point that you're on the receiving end of the background investigation. Being honest will make the process take longer, but I've yet to hear of any instances where the being honest SF-86 stuff got aviators clearances revoked or denied. That includes drug use and pyschological counciling/medications during adolescence, reported foreign contacts, bankruptcy, arrests, criminal investigations, DUI's etc. Where people get their nuts in a ringer is trying to hide anything and not being open and honest with the investigators. The one incidence of a dude getting their clearance pulled that I know of first hand was an attempt to downplay/not report his relationships to contacts who were members of the Communist party of a freinenemy country. Just be open and honest (and have any paperwork that will support your claim) and everything should work out the way its supposed to.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
I am trying to become a naval aviator...
As a hinge, I feel it is my solemn duty to piggyback on previous comments with which I agree. You will probably be okay about the stuff in your past as long as you are honest about the episode(s). Some advice: be short and sweet with your description. If they care, they will follow up. If they say no big deal, no big deal. More important for you, in my mind, is how you approach future stressors in your life. There will be many. Take everything one step at a time, study and chair fly your ass off (literally), enjoy yourself on the weekends, get laid when you can, and the rest should work itself out nicely.