• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Background check during flight school.

Travis Tiner

I am trying to become a naval aviator. I am currently in Texas A&M's ROTC program, and I heard that during flight school they conduct an FBI background check. My criminal and civil records are clean, but I have one hospitalization that I'm not sure if I should tell them about, or if they will ask consent for medical records and find out. I was hospitalized for a psychotic episode induced by stress, lack of sleep, and lack of eating. It was my first college semester, I was taking 18 credit hours, and I tried to cram three weeks of work into three days drinking nothing but coffee and energy drinks before midterms and pretty much snapped. I don't want to hide anything on my background, especially if they find something I am trying to hide, which seems even worse than telling them about, but I don't want to ruin my dream of becoming a fighter pilot by telling them something that, in my humble opinion, is irrelevant, which might potentially drop me out of flight school. So my question is, does the FBI request consent to search medical records on SNAs during flight school? And would this episode be grounds to keep me from becoming a pilot for the Navy?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You will have at a minimum a secret level background check as an officer. They should start and finish that before you commission. It isn't a FBI check, I believe it's done by the OPM.

As for your medical stuff, I'm pretty sure that won't come up on a background check. However, it will be discussed by NAMI if you do get picked up for any flying spot (pilot or nfo). Whether that will be an issue or not is up to the docs at NAMI. If you search around on this site you'll find some info on the waiver guide and could give you some gouge.

The biggest thing, just be upfront with it all on both the background check and the medical stuff. If you lie about it and try to hide it you're pretty much 100% guaranteed to get denied. However, if you're upfront, even if it's a negative issue you mention, they are much more apt to work with you and get you through it.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Just answer all the questions honestly. The absolute worst thing you can do is lie. It's probably not that big of a deal anyway.

Now bearcrawl down the passageway while reciting the entire Aggie Code of Honor.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Just as an aside, the life of a Naval Aviator (fighters or otherwise) can probably be summed up at times as "stress, lack of sleep, lack of eating" (well maybe just missing a meal here and there). If that pushes you to a psychotic episode, this may not be the business for you. Or for a more positive outlook, it seems that you might need to develop some better stress management skills if you want to succeed here. In other words, I wouldn't consider this to be "irrelevant"......it is something that needs to be dealt with.....and perhaps it already has, which hopefully a board can determine. First and foremost, be honest during the application process. Best of luck!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Don't worry too much about it. Answer their questions honestly at both NAMI and the background check and you should be fine.

We've all got skeletons in the closet. Those with the most just have to be content with living life as rotor trash.

exNavyOffRec

Did this occur after you were enrolled in ROTC? or was it after? or are you a walk on that has yet to sign any papers? In all the papers you sign is going to be something that you will keep the command informed of any medical issues.

As far as hospitilization are we talking the doc checked you out and said "go home" or are we talking an extended stay?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
When filling out the SF-86, you will have to explain any sort of psych related history other than a few certain things, which IIRC include marriage counseling, combat stress, and a few other limited things. I can assure you that this does not fall into that category. Their goal is to figure out if you are mentally ok to keep secrets.

The medical stuff is going to be the problem for you - flying or not. If you want to talk to someone who might help, go look around doc's corner and see if there is a post where someone else had something similar happen, or find a flight doc to PM with more specific details.

Travis Tiner

It was before and I have yet to sign papers and such and it was an extended stay at the hospital. Is doc's corner a website?

exNavyOffRec

It was before and I have yet to sign papers and such and it was an extended stay at the hospital. Is doc's corner a website?

You need to disclose this, part of the medical screen ask questions about this, and it is "do you have now or have you ever been", and then there is a part that says "any hospitilizations that have yet to be covered"

If you fail to disclose and it is found out later bad things will follow.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*

Also, I can pretty much promise you that they are going to want to see your records. Your OR might tell you to get a doc's note saying that it was all bull, or trying to explain it in a light that is flattering to you. I'd recommend getting your records so that you can see everything inside of them. There may be diagnoses, or things might not be as bad as you say they are on here. There also might be things in there that you forgot or didn't know about that you'll have to disclose, and you don't want that to pop up later. I'm really glad I pulled some records on one issue I knew was going to come up, because I found one or two related things that I needed to disclose that the crap doctors failed to tell me about.

If you were put on any meds from this episode and are still on them, you are more than likely going to be NPQed.

Travis Tiner

The episode was over a year ago so I'm not on any meds and I'm in the process of getting my medical records. Thanks for the advice.