• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Back question for sna slot

Renegade347

If anyone has solid advice on my topic I would deeply appreciate it. I had two compression fractures (L2 & L3) over 4 years ago, I am completely asymptomatic, and I have maxed my PFT. I was told that I cannot get a pilot slot but possibly a RIO position. They don't want me in an ejection seat because they are afraid I will have a greater chance of breaking my back again.
My question is this, is there any chance of getting a waiver for my back? Another question is have anyone heard of being restricted to aircrafts w/o an ejection seat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Pat

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the info above it is waiverable. The waiver will most likely limit you to nonejection seat aircraft so Helos or Props, not NFO (unless you are Navy).

This condition does get waivers but the only ones I know of are for guys already winged and in the fleet, not sure about initial application.

Sub King

Although my condition is not quite as severe as yours, I had a partial disk removal between L4-L5 in 99' from a Snowboarding accident and still got a waiver. I was worried just as you probably are about not meeting the waiverable requirements, but when it comes down to it, the requirements are not as severe as you might think they are. Bottom line is you'll have to ask a flight doc for the right answer. I asked and I'm a SNA in API right now. Hell, I signed an ejection seat waiver the other day and it wasn't for my back waiver, it was because I was 1 lb over the 204 lb ejection seat restriction. So its almost as if the waiver never occurred. All you can do is ask. Best of luck to you.

MasterBates

What has a 204# seat now a days?

I just did RP1/RP2 and DJET today, and I was told all seats except the S-3 were 245# now.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I was 235 at my check in flight physical, and had to sign waivers for the ALL ejection seat aircraft... 15 over weight for the Prowler and T-2, 20 for the T-6 and Rhino.

Renegade347

I appreciate everyone's input. Sorry for all the hearsay but I want to get my bearings straight. Having said that, I heard that if you were going to be restricted from one type of aircraft than you had to be qualified for at least two other categories (i.e. helo or transport). When I asked the medical representative at the recruiting office she replied that with my back condition this was not possible. However, she also said that the only way for me get into an aircraft would be as an ECMO in the prowler because it doesn’t have an ejection seat. Is there any truth to that? To me her responses didn't add up. If all she is saying I can get is an ECMO slot, why can't I be restricted to any aircraft w/o an ejection seat?

Crowbar

None
she also said that the only way for me get into an aircraft would be as an ECMO in the prowler because it doesn’t have an ejection seat. Is there any truth to that?

None. Prowler definitely has ejection seats. In fact, to become an ECMO you have to fly T-2s which have a 204 lb seat. I'm not sure about the weight limit for Prowlers.

I was told that I cannot get a pilot slot but possibly a RIO position. They don't want me in an ejection seat because they are afraid I will have a greater chance of breaking my back again...Another question is have anyone heard of being restricted to aircrafts w/o an ejection seat.

If you go SNFO as a Marine you're going to end up in an ejection seat a/c. You'll fly two in training and both of your options after winging have ejection seats.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
When I asked the medical representative at the recruiting office she replied that with my back condition this was not possible. However, she also said that the only way for me get into an aircraft would be as an ECMO in the prowler because it doesn’t have an ejection seat.

FYI SNFO's train in ejection seat aircraft for primary, pilots do not (At least those going through Navy training)... you could be a helo or prop pilot and never sit in an ejection seat in your life.

My advice... Ignore her and her obvious lack of clue with what she is talking about and apply for SNA (and/or SNFO) if thats what you want.

Sub King

What has a 204# seat now a days?

I just did RP1/RP2 and DJET today, and I was told all seats except the S-3 were 245# now.

My NACES report that I got the first day of classes says that I exceed the weight requirements for the LS_1A ejection seat. All I can think of is that there may be some sort of training aircraft ejection seat that applies to studs but not the fleet guys. Then again, I'm just a monkey who does what he's told. Hope that answers your question MB.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I don't know if SkidKid has info I don't (very plausable) but I think the whole thing is probably waiverable (although I'll have to consult Webster's on that word).

People get waivers for crazy injuries and basically sign a "Eject at own risk" type thing. If you have no symptoms and have healed properly I would be inclined to say you are probably going to be able to get that waiver.

Saying you can be a RIO--which isn't even the right term--is crazy. That actually makes less sense. This source of yours is nuts.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
Seen it both ways....know a guy who got the waiver and ended up in the hornet, know two guys who got dq'd from ejection seat (one while in the j-pipeline already) and ended up in the P-3. All depends on what the NOMI docs say about your history and the risk from it. Apply and wait, nothing else to do and no amount of speculation is going to make it any easier or clearer.

Renegade347

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. The flight surgeon I saw in JAX for my physical is putting together the info. to apply for the waiver. In the past couple of days I have been speaking with another flight surgeon about this issue. She reviewed my medical records and said that probably will not get jets but should be ok for helos and props. As long as I can get, become a Marine officer and be at the controls I will be ecstatic. One thing she did mention is that I will need excellent documentation. I am assuming that is a responsibility for the flight surgeon (I'm not sure). Is there any advice for anything I can do on my end? Thanks again all, I really appreciate it!

MasterBates

You need to get the documentation of injury, treatment and rehab. Get all the records together, NOMI will probably want them.

Renegade347

Well it's been a long process but I finally got word that I have been accepted to class 196 in October with a snfo contract. I can't tell you how much of an uphill battle it was but I finally got in. Well I can't say that just yet, I have an opportunity to prove myself. I want to thank you all for your advice and help.

Personally, I can't think of anyone in the aviation community who would not like to be a pilot (no offense to those die hard NFOs). When I applied to the program I had 3 goals. 1) Become an officer in the Marine Corps. 2) Get involved in the naval aviation community. 3) Become a pilot. I understand that not everyone can be at the controls of an aircraft, but what I have come to realize is that it is important to take a step back and look at the big picture. Being a part of a crew that mission successfully completes a mission is more important in the long run.

I apologize for the long post, and I don't want to sound sappy, but I appreciate the knowledge that is shared on this forum and I am excited to begin a career as a military aviator. Thanks again all!!

Respectfully,

-Pat

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was 235 at my check in flight physical, and had to sign waivers for the ALL ejection seat aircraft... 15 over weight for the Prowler and T-2, 20 for the T-6 and Rhino.

Are you still at 235? Or was that a peak? I'm just curious because we had some mids here at USNA that played sports that were worried about having to cut weight for the NOMI physical?

sc_fat_kid.jpg