• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B-21

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You still don't want to spook the livestock.....
That principle works both ways, which given reciprocal capabilities, is assumed to be understood by both sides. HGV profiles are deliberately distinct from that of a nuclear ICBM.

HuggyU2

None
I'm certainly no expert in the matter, but what what great new capability would a hypersonic manned aircraft bring to the fight?

From a recce viewpoint, I don't see it being useful at all.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I'm certainly no expert in the matter, but what what great new capability would a hypersonic manned aircraft bring to the fight?

From a recce viewpoint, I don't see it being useful at all.

Besides an SR-71 style recce (which you don't seem to favor), maybe high speed transport?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The ability to insert a force anywhere on the globe literally in minutes.
I once parachuted out of a C-5 that was just a few knots over “good to go” speed and it was interesting. Not sure I want to try a hypersonic jump…but hey, Mav survived a Mach 10 ejection, so all I need is a cut away scene!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The ability to insert a force anywhere on the globe literally in minutes.
Overtly. You're not going anywhere quietly with something like that.

You're going to need one helluva a runway to land at too. The Space Shuttle's transoceanic emergency landing sites would give you a good start at what might be needed.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
You're going to need one helluva a runway to land at too. The Space Shuttle's transoceanic emergency landing sites would give you a good start at what might be needed.

There are a fair number of long runways around the world that could work. Depending on the mission parameters, a runway landing might not even be desirable, just slow down, deploy a ballistic recovery parachute, and land right where the action is. You could even eject a crew pod and destroy the vehicle if shape and tech is a risk. Or to be really complicated, eject the pod, and then the vehicle throttles up and goes home (or somewhere to refuel).

Either way, it's an expensive proposition that's unlikely to be desirable for more than a tiny niche. But, oh, the press! You get bragging rights of being able to put anyone anywhere in under an hour...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
There are a fair number of long runways around the world that could work. Depending on the mission parameters, a runway landing might not even be desirable, just slow down, deploy a ballistic recovery parachute, and land right where the action is. You could even eject a crew pod and destroy the vehicle if shape and tech is a risk. Or to be really complicated, eject the pod, and then the vehicle throttles up and goes home (or somewhere to refuel).

Either way, it's an expensive proposition that's unlikely to be desirable for more than a tiny niche. But, oh, the press! You get bragging rights of being able to put anyone anywhere in under an hour...
The longest runway in the world just happens to be in China, but it’s called the Shigatse Peace Airport so we can’t attack there.