• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B-21

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And later analysis proved that they had screwed up the heat-transfer math, and if it had been built, it would have melted itself into a ball of liquid metal.
Right, so the statements "Germany had Mach 20 missiles in the 30s" and "Silbervogel was first ever hypersonic weapon" are not factually correct... not at all... which is why I asked about the source. Just making sure I'm not missing something here, @CallumJohn

robav8r

None
Contributor
Certainly of the same pattern, flying wing, etc. Go with what you know.

How long ago was the B2 designed? I wonder how they kept the knowledge base alive between the two efforts.
This has always fascinated me. How long ago was the SR-71 and the U-2 designed? Slight thread-jack - I read "Day of the Rangers" a few years back and was surprised to read about the the level of stealth & technology that was omitted from the first books about the event. I was at Whiteman AFB recently for a MA assessment including the B-2. There is a growing sentiment among "stealth" communities and assets that everything need to be off limits, and out of touch for everyone not directly involved in the program. Not surprised that the B-21 is going down this path . . . .

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has always fascinated me. How long ago was the SR-71 and the U-2 designed? Slight thread-jack - I read "Day of the Rangers" a few years back and was surprised to read about the the level of stealth & technology that was omitted from the first books about the event.
In my decidedly low-speed high-drag non-uber-cool-operator desk jockey staff guy opinion, it's better for SOCOM to keep as many of its cards as close to the vest as possible. I hope as the Bin Laden raid and the Gallagher debacle fade into the past, that they can use the opportunity to move further back out of the public eye. In the brief time I was lucky enough to grab a metaphorical cup of coffee there, I saw some stuff that was cool as all hell. But let's not forget what SOCOM folks generally are: small groups of people snooping and pooping around in areas where they're usually significantly outnumbered. Even Billy Badass himself can only do so much in those situations without people either a) not knowing he's there, or b) being able to have overwhelming fire superiority in a small area, usually for a temporary time. The more the other guy knows their capes and lims, the more bad shit is going to happen, even more than in the conventional forces' world.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder if they put a fold down cot behind the ejection seats?
He did say he preferred to lay down behind the left seat. There's some space there where the crew hatch is.

IIRC that is where the Nav/WSO/EWO was originally supposed to go but that position was done away with somewhere in the design process but late enough to leave the ejection hatch for them.

thump

pilot
This has always fascinated me. How long ago was the SR-71 and the U-2 designed? Slight thread-jack - I read "Day of the Rangers" a few years back and was surprised to read about the the level of stealth & technology that was omitted from the first books about the event. I was at Whiteman AFB recently for a MA assessment including the B-2. There is a growing sentiment among "stealth" communities and assets that everything need to be off limits, and out of touch for everyone not directly involved in the program. Not surprised that the B-21 is going down this path . . . .

"Off limits and out of touch" was how these programs came to life....we could use a lot more of that all across DoD IMO.

Great read on U-2, SR-71, the beginnings of stealth: "From Rainbow to Gusto". Also a trip on how old school engineering and test did business.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There is a growing sentiment among "stealth" communities and assets that everything need to be off limits, and out of touch for everyone not directly involved in the program. Not surprised that the B-21 is going down this path . . . .

You mean physically/visually? Or programmatically? If the latter, I'd say that is already the case. You need to be a lot further than the first date to get anywhere near the family jewels, so to speak (ahahaha I said it).

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Today the U.S. Air Force announced that in an effort to continue to promote the struggling aviation industry they will purchase the newly designed B-21 bomber. The B-21’s primary role involves appearing in recruiting commercials and flying over select sporting events. To ensure strategic bombing is still “a thing” the Air Force will eliminate its 47 year old B-1 bomber fleet and 33 year old B-2 bomber fleet allowing the 70 year old B-52 to carry the burden. Colonel “Ramrod” Reckage of the Air Force said, “I don’t know why the Navy doesn’t embrace the Zombie S-3 thing…we’re still using B-52’s that Eisenhower pointed at during air shows and they work great…it makes for nice savings.” “Sure,” Ramrod continued, “we have to buy these slick recruiting tools every 20 years or so, but we can’t let them get wet so the B-52 keeps soldiering on.”
With Delta pilots likely to get a 30%+ pay raise, the military will need all the recruiting tools it can get.

robav8r

None
Contributor
You mean physically/visually? Or programmatically? If the latter, I'd say that is already the case. You need to be a lot further than the first date to get anywhere near the family jewels, so to speak (ahahaha I said it).
My comment was based on my recent experience in the field conducting mission assurance assessments at NC3 facilities. Physical access, visually, and all associated documentation, especially wrt cap/lims.