• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B-2 Designer On Trial For Spying

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Weren't the Rosenbergs the last ones in the U.S. to be executed for treason? In my opinion, Aldrich Ames should have been the poster child for capital punishment.

zachary2777

Banned
I don't know if any of you saw this, but awhile back there was an article in Popular Mechanics about civilian contractors selling military hardware to China. The guy they focused on was caught trying to export an F-16 engine to China (which he bought from undercover US agents). His shopping list included a complete aircraft as well as several US missiles and nuclear submarine technology.

Basically China uses free lannce spies to do their work. They are not directly employed by the Chinese government but work for defense contractors etc... and have access to classified systems. They bring whatever they can get to China then get paid. It's not very efficient but it casts a wide net which eventually will catch something and it's very easy for them to deny any involvement. It's also very simple for them to leave the guy hanging when he gets caught.

China is skipping the development stage to advance its military technology and is simply stealing it from the US to jump ahead via reverse engineering. Guys like the a$$hole mentioned above are going to get Americans killed and all they get is a few years in jail and some probation. It's complete BS. If Americans did the same thing in China they'd end up in front of a wall with a cigarette and a blindfold.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Damn my countrymen and government for lacking the strength of character or the moral discipline to do what is necessary and punish our enemies.

Hey...in all seriousness...easy here. There are many valid reasons not to support the death penalty period, and to insult someone for doing so is ignorant. Further, simply because someone doesn't support the death penalty, gives you no grounds to question their patriotism or loyalty.

badger16

None
Hey...in all seriousness...easy here. There are many valid reasons not to support the death penalty period, and to insult someone for doing so is ignorant. Further, simply because someone doesn't support the death penalty, gives you no grounds to question their patriotism or loyalty.

I agree. It is not just patriotism you are dealing with in terms of the death penalty but religion also plays into it. I am not the most religious guy but I can understand why a religious person would be against the death penalty.

that being said...the first thing that went through my mind when I saw this story was. " kill the motherfVcker!"

LoneSailor

Wouldn't be too suprised, hell the chinnese pretty much have their own Aegis CGs. It looks exactly like our Aegis CGs. Not too long ago there were a couple of chinnese-americans that had access to Aegis designs and they were caught by US agents for trying to pass info on to the chinese.

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.
What a total tool. He sells out not only the country of his citizenship by compromising our technology but also the country of his birth by arming the Chinese with even more balls to do whatever they want to do.

Should be hung.

Lawman

None
It is not just patriotism you are dealing with in terms of the death penalty but religion also plays into it. I am not the most religious guy but I can understand why a religious person would be against the death penalty.

Actually if we wanna go down that route the lowest circle of hell is reserved for traitors (Dante's Inferno). :icon_wink

Im not even saying we have to kill them, Id just like to see it be an option at least which thanks to our present political climate it doesnt seem possible anymore. Hell we hung the crap out of the Nazi's, we didnt even offer a Soldiers death because we saw them only as criminals. Why on Earth would we tolerate something so great as treason and act like there is any other option then either death or life in prison. These people forfit their rights in my eyes as American citizens seeing as they have basically taken a position of working for the betterment of a foriegn power and the detrement of our own nation. Theres no rehabilitation for that, theres just incapacitation so they cant ever do anything to hurt our nation again and the only ways to effectively do that are either life in prison or death.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what ever happened to executing spies as traitors? I mean seriously this is one of the last crimes other then Murder where a civilian can be punished with excecution, so why the hell dont we do it? Please, discuss...

There is a very good reason that we don't hang that many spies anymore, information. I had an in-brief where I now work from a former general counsel for the agency. He had taken part in the prosecution of several spies during his career in the counsel's office. He said the agencies affected and the Justice Department usually preferred to get a spy to plead guilty and cooperate.

Why make a deal with a traitor? To find out who their controller or contact was, how did they pass the information, was anyone else involved and most importantly, what information he or she gave up. All of that kind of information is extremely valuable in determining much damage has been caused by the spy and it helps a lot with damage control. The former counsel also described the hardball the prosecutors play with the accused. Among other things they threaten them with the seizure of their houses and nearly all possesions that could have been bought with their ill-gotten gains. If the guy has a wife and family, like in Robert Hanssen's case, that can be pretty important. It is a carrot and stick approach, where the carrot is a long prison sentence. Not only that, many of these guys have an inflated sense of self-importance and they still feel very important when the government is trying to get information about their spying activity.

Executing the spy is usually not going to get you all that information.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a very good reason that we don't hang that many spies anymore, information. I had an in-brief where I now work from a former general counsel for the agency. He had taken part in the prosecution of several spies during his career in the counsel's office. He said the agencies affected and the Justice Department usually preferred to get a spy to plead guilty and cooperate.

Why make a deal with a traitor? To find out who their controller or contact was, how did they pass the information, was anyone else involved and most importantly, what information he or she gave up. All of that kind of information is extremely valuable in determining much damage has been caused by the spy and it helps a lot with damage control. The former counsel also described the hardball the prosecutors play with the accused. Among other things they threaten them with the seizure of their houses and nearly all possesions that could have been bought with their ill-gotten gains. If the guy has a wife and family, like in Robert Hanssen's case, that can be pretty important. It is a carrot and stick approach, where the carrot is a long prison sentence. Not only that, many of these guys have an inflated sense of self-importance and they still feel very important when the government is trying to get information about their spying activity.

Executing the spy is usually not going to get you all that information.

Flash is smarter than he looks. :D I'll add that making deals prevents the Govt from having to worry about disclosing oftentimes highly classified material in any kind of court proceeding.

Brett

badger16

None
Actually if we wanna go down that route the lowest circle of hell is reserved for traitors (Dante's Inferno). :icon_wink

yeah and the religious folk think God, not our Government, should be the only one with the power to send him there.

Flash makes a great point, yeah killing the guy sends a message, but instead why not get anything and everything that is useful out of him... and after throw him in a cell 4 feet by 4 feet. Can't stand up and can't strech out...and give him bread and water for the rest of his life...I may not think we have the right to pick who should live and die...but I do think we have the right to make him pay for his crimes.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
[Threadjack]Ease off on the religious persecution, on the subject of capitol punishment the Bible can be interpreted both ways. (Thats what she said:D) [/END]

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
[Threadjack]Ease off on the religious persecution, on the subject of capitol punishment the Bible can be interpreted both ways. (Thats what she said:D) [/END]

I thought the Pope was infallible, no?

Brett