• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Azerbaijan vs Armenia

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Anyone following this? AZ is putting out a lot of footage that shows that drones and precision strike is a capability not just possessed by major powers.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Some strikes. It’s actual people so graphic, and I can’t vouch for this site:

Hair Warrior

Contributor

Look like the Army has been watching this and other recent conflicts
Hell yeah. They are underselling it by labeling it just an “anti-air stryker.” That 30mm cannon and 2x Hellfires make it a no joke all-purpose welterweight ground combatant. The only thing I don’t see is a V-hull, which is probably bc we want to keep as many interchangable maintenance parts with the rest of the stryker fleet. (“fleet”? “troop”? whatever)

BigRed389

None
I interned in the PEO that includes the IM-SHORAD acquisition. If I remember correctly, this is just a stop-gap until the directed energy version is ready. At least this version from General Dynamics should be significantly more capable than Avenger.

Pretty much any missile air defense designed to counter low cost kamikaze drones is on the wrong side of the cost curve (other than by preventing the larger cost of having equipment it is protecting get hit by the drone).

If the current pace of drone proliferation continues, lasers or other DEWs/soft kill based defenses are going to shift from "nice to have" to mandatory.

taxi1

pilot
Some strikes. It’s actual people so graphic, and I can’t vouch for this site:

What was the weapon in that video? Didn’t see anything enter the screen.

Hair Warrior

Contributor

Unpopular opinion: Russia wins again, by gaining and maintaining de facto control of foreign regions in its periphery where the demographics include Russian-speakers, Eastern Orthodox religious affiliation, and/or allied Russo-Slavic ethnic groups.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, shooting down a $300 drone with a $40,000 missile isn't going to work long term. Didn't Saudi Arabia shoot one down with a Patriot missile?

Pretty cheap compared to most of what we and our allies have to shoot down drones now.

While many folks to include some of those here know better I think this and Turkey's offensive in northern Syria last year are big warning flags on the proliferating threat of UAV's.

Unpopular opinion: Russia wins again, by gaining and maintaining de facto control of foreign regions in its periphery where the demographics include Russian-speakers, Eastern Orthodox religious affiliation, and/or allied Russo-Slavic ethnic groups.

I don't think they won much at all, if any external power 'won' anything it was Turkey. As Armenia's 'protector' they and the equipment the Russians sold the Armenians utterly failed in the face of the the Turkish and Israeli-supplied Azeris.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Turks helping people kill Armenians? Color me shocked.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I don't think they won much at all, if any external power 'won' anything it was Turkey. As Armenia's 'protector' they and the equipment the Russians sold the Armenians utterly failed in the face of the the Turkish and Israeli-supplied Azeris.
Maybe Russia wanted Armenia to be unable to defend itself solo. Maybe Russia benefits from an Armenia that wants increased Russian protectionism, and an increased avenue for Russian arms sales.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe Russia wanted Armenia to be unable to defend itself solo. Maybe Russia benefits from an Armenia that wants increased Russian protectionism, and an increased avenue for Russian arms sales.

Or maybe the Russians ignored the issue and didn't really wake up until Azeris started kicking the Armenian's asses, and blowing up S-300's with ease using cheap Israeli and Turkish drones. While Putin sometimes plays well with the limited hand he has he ain't the chess master that many seem to make him out to be.