• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Azerbaijan vs Armenia

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Or maybe the Russians ignored the issue and didn't really wake up until Azeris started kicking the Armenian's asses, and blowing up S-300's with ease using cheap Israeli and Turkish drones. While Putin sometimes plays well with the limited hand he has he ain't the chess master that many seem to make him out to be.
That’s not what I heard the last four years.

smilies and shit

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or maybe the Russians ignored the issue and didn't really wake up until Azeris started kicking the Armenian's asses, and blowing up S-300's with ease using cheap Israeli and Turkish drones.
PMA-265 nervously eyes their budget :)

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Or maybe the Russians ignored the issue and didn't really wake up until Azeris started kicking the Armenian's asses, and blowing up S-300's with ease using cheap Israeli and Turkish drones. While Putin sometimes plays well with the limited hand he has he ain't the chess master that many seem to make him out to be.
Russia now has armed peacekeepers on the ground in N-K. For every S-300 that got destroyed, they can now sell an S-400. If Armenia can’t pay today, Russia can finance them with debt that puts Armenia even further in Russia’s pocket. Russia can play kingmaker (without the UN or US) in any future brokered agreement. How did Russia not win?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That's a fair point, Russian exports have come up short in wars before (back in the Arab-Israeli wars in the 50s, 60s, and 70s) and they certainly sold lots of replacements afterward. It's a complicated discussion how their influence in that region was affected after the last major one (1973).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I’d say the last major war in that region began in 2014.
True, but Israeli involvement has been secondary (in the Syrian Civil War), not national mobilization and country-vs-country like the earlier wars.

In terms of an existential threat to the Syrian regime, yes, that war is as major as it gets.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Russia now has armed peacekeepers on the ground in N-K. For every S-300 that got destroyed, they can now sell an S-400. If Armenia can’t pay today, Russia can finance them with debt that puts Armenia even further in Russia’s pocket. Russia can play kingmaker (without the UN or US) in any future brokered agreement. How did Russia not win?

Or maybe not, maybe Armenia realizes that their 'ally' Russia didn't back them up in their time of need and foisted on them a bad agreement that sees them lose territory they consider their own.

To make predictions Russia 'wins' this early is foolhardy, but I guess if the shoe fits...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s not what I heard the last four years.

smilies and shit

It's not too hard when you have suckers, fools and...losers happily playing along with whatever game you want them to play.

Smiles and shit, of course

Treetop Flyer

pilot
It's not too hard when you have suckers, fools and...losers happily playing along with whatever game you want them to play.

Smiles and shit, of course
Good comeback. When Joe asthma draft dodger with his one-month-as-a-naval-officer son take over...

Are we in the thunderdome yet?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Oh, the irony...

I thought we were talking about Russians playing games and winning without even trying, but if you want to ruin the party go ahead!
Yes, there is irony that four of the last five presidents were draft dodgers*

It is truly sad that we spent four years hearing that Putin appointed our president.

*GWB at least served and Obama was too young

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Armenia and Azerbaijani? Nargono-Karabakh? Actually a thread about something of interest to us as professionals.
Yeah I started this thread, fellow professional. Sorry your quip about Putin being omnipotent got you in a tizzy

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah I started this thread, fellow professional. Sorry your quip about Putin being omnipotent got you in a tizzy

I didn’t realize debunking Putin’s supposed genius would lead to domestic politics, because...eh?

Anyways, to try and get back to the thread at hand...here is to hoping we see more systems like the Marines’ MADIS fielded soon instead of using up million+ $ missiles to try and shoot down cheap UAV’s. Am I right?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I didn’t realize debunking Putin’s supposed genius
Maybe we are saying different things, and we can meet in the middle.

I do not assume Putin is a genius. I know for a fact he is shrewd and conniving.

I do not assume that Putin or other Russian leaders planned, predicted, or orchestrated the events in N-K. I do believe that Putin as well as Russian military commanders have a knee-jerk doctrine and loose CONOPS for taking advantage of situations as they unfold, and reacting quickly to secure their interests in the Russian periphery.

What they lack in military dominance they make up for in initiative, resource efficiency, and a willingness to bend the rules/LOAC to achieve their desired end states (ex.: little green men commandeering the car ferry across the Kerch Strait in 2014 to rapidly surprise and overtake the garrisons in Crimea).