• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Awesome response to a spouse upset over salutes

navy09

None
Is this mindset common among wives? I wonder what 'her Warrant' would say about that letter she wrote.

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Is this mindset common among wives? I wonder what 'her Warrant' would say about that letter she wrote.

I would hope he'd be mortified. I have not yet personally encountered such a woefully misguided sense of entitlement in another spouse, but I don't think I'd've been able to keep from laughing in her face if this woman had come to me looking for sympathy. Talk about some misplaced outrage.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I think the spouse is wanking because she likely used to get saluted before they actually stopped you at the gate (pre-9/11) and only identified the officers by the sticker on their car. As the gate guard couldn't tell if the person driving was said officer or not, he or she would snap a salute as the car drove by. Now that we have to show ID and be individually identified, only officers are saluted.

Now, that being said, and all reasons aside - she's still an arrogant bitch for writing that.

helo_wifey

I've seen it before. Not that bad, but wives thinking they are entitled to things because of "the sacrifices they've made". It's not easy, but neither are civilian relationships.

I've been saluted going onto NAS Jax and find it quite odd because I show a dependent ID card. I guess they're supposed to salute the car, but I'm usually the only one in it. I just thank them, give a smile and tell them to have a nice morning/day/night, etc.

His response was great, good on him for tactfully showing her her place (which is not at the other end of a salute).

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Stand in front of your house with a vacuum cleaner, Priceless. I wish I could see the look on her face when she reads that response.

MasterBates

She was "told" to scrape the decal and send them and both her dependent IDs to me, but never did. Judge told her to, but gave her no penalty for not doing it.

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot

My wife never expects a salute, she just smiles and thanks them for the courtesy. This is what I have seen from many dependants.

Belle

two babies make a mama insane
I think the spouse is wanking because she likely used to get saluted before they actually stopped you at the gate (pre-9/11) and only identified the officers by the sticker on their car. As the gate guard couldn't tell if the person driving was said officer or not, he or she would snap a salute as the car drove by. Now that we have to show ID and be individually identified, only officers are saluted.

I get a salute almost every time I go through the gate here on Whidbey (showing my dependent ID). Or rather, my car gets a salute. I gathered that it is something the gate guards are supposed to do for the blue sticker, as they obviously aren't saluting me. As a prior-E it made me sort of uncomfortalbe for awhile -- getting a salute, directed at my car, for my husband's rank, and he's not even there. I always just give them a smile and nod, and I wouldn't ever think of calling them out if/when they don't do it.

Now, that being said, and all reasons aside - she's still an arrogant bitch for writing that.
Agreed.