• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator progression in the Navy

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I would never wish this on my worst enemy, but if you ever get orders to USFF, seeing the sausage being made is very eye opening. Ship-board maintenance drives everything for the surface navy -- and us. it is all about optimizing bad options. As my old boss used to say, owning boats and owing lakefront property costs a lot of money and time post-purchase...and the Navy has both in spades.

Shipboard maintenance drives everything re: yard periods on a big picture basis on a fleet level, but there's lipservice paid to it on the local command level, until it gets bad enough to get someone in trouble.

It always amazed me that usually from 0730-1630 only 4hrs of maintenance was done during the first third of the day and zero got done outside of the remaining 2/3s. We'd never get aircraft up on the aviation side of the house if we used such an inefficient model to get maintenance done.