• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Supply

mrcoffee

As far as aviation supply goes, AMDO handles supply within the individual squadrons, while Supply Corps takes care of the carrier itself. There is some overlap in stock control, but for the most part the Supply Corps stays out of the aviation supply business.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
mrcoffee said:
As far as aviation supply goes, AMDO handles supply within the individual squadrons, while Supply Corps takes care of the carrier itself. There is some overlap in stock control, but for the most part the Supply Corps stays out of the aviation supply business.

How does a chop earn his/her "Aviation Supply Corps" wings then?

mrcoffee

You earn your aviation supply pin pretty much the same way you would earn your dolphins or your SWSCO pin; by A) being able to demonstrate a working knowledge of carrier operations and B) understanding your job and all the forms, proceedures and pubs that goes with it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mrcoffee said:

Used to be chops in every F-14, S-3, and P-3 squadron. Now the F-14, S-3 option is OBE, but can't a chop still go to a VP squadron?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never had a Suppo in my squadron. Everything went through the SKC. I THINK there MAY have been one in the Webmaster's old sqdn.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I suppose a definition of terms is in order. "used to be", "in the day", "in the old days", "in my day", "when I was in the fleet", etc, can all be interchanged with "15 years ago" or "a hell of a long time ago", at the reader's discretion. ;)

mrcoffee

There are no supply officer billets at any operational aviation unit. The CO of Supply School was one of the last S-3 Viking supply officers (which were the last units to have a Chop permanently assigned), and he said that was over 20 years ago. As far as the Aviation world and the Supply world goes, there isn't much mixing. Its alot easier to give the aviation drama to the AMDOs. :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
smell the glove said:
The other JO chop on my ship just got orders to a VFA squadron at Lemoor.

Was it the RAG? Could be the RAGs still get direct support from a Chop. They aren't considered "operational".

mrcoffee

The Blue Angels apparently have a genuine Suppo assigned. As for anywhere else, I asked a couple of instructors here today if they heard of any other units with a 3100 and got the "there are no stupid questions only stupid people" look. If anybody has a clue I'd sure like to know.

smell the glove

Took a quick look at last years directory and saw billets at numerous HSL, HM, HC (HSC?), VFA, and VP squadrons, none considered operational. On any carrier, I do believe that S-6 is intimately involved in the aviation side. As for the squadrons at Lemoore, I saw billets at VFA-122 and VFA-125

Dzien

So, it appears as though Aviation Supply Officers are akin to WO1...in that they are no longer a part of today's Navy. Any update in the 11 years since this post last saw light? (apologize for necroposting, but relevant to my career interests)