• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Supplementation Portion of ASTB

jasongreen

I was just wondering what this portion of the test is about. From what I have heard from people its another aviation knowledge test. I took the ASTB today and my proctor gave me another Math section. Just curious if this was normal or something new?

tdimarco

Pro-Rec SNA
It shouldn't have been just math. That section should have a mix of question types from the other subtests. Some are exactly the same. The only reason I can see for the supplemental section is to weight the scoring formula.

jasongreen

Well that's what he gave me and it was all math. It was also only 30 questions and didn't fill the whole section on the answer sheet

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Hey I took the ASTB back in January, and I, and several of my classmates too had all math for that section.

ru838434

I had all aviation questions. They were a little bit more difficult though, and were a lot like the ones on the AFOQT tests in the Barron's book.

torpedo0126

I had all aviation questions as well (this was a few years ago too). It had like runway numbering systems and basic questions about aircraft.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was just wondering what this portion of the test is about. From what I have heard from people its another aviation knowledge test. I took the ASTB today and my proctor gave me another Math section. Just curious if this was normal or something new?

The supplement is just that. It does not count toward your score. NAMI/NOMI uses the feedback from the supplemental test for future questions and other research. You'll notice that the Supplemental test is not timed.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, yes, the Supplemental Section is timed....but not like the other sections. The Supplemental section DOES NOT COUNT AGAINST YOUR SCORES.

-ea6blfyr ;)

torpedo0126

Ok, yes, the Supplemental Section is timed....but not like the other sections. The Supplemental section DOES NOT COUNT AGAINST YOUR SCORES.

-ea6blfyr ;)

I don't know about now, but I am fairly sure when I took the test the aviation part counted. Since I was NROTC, the only part that didn't count for me was the OAR score. The aviation scores (the three numbers) are what were used to evaluate me and the aviation part factored into that (at least thats what the website said).

torpedo0126

Here is the information directly from the NAMI. The PFAR part of the exam is concerned with the aviation part. So if your pilot, you should be very concerned with this section it looks like.

Which tests make the greatest contribution to each score I receive?

The formulas that are utilized to compute ASTB score components are proprietary information and will not be released by NOMI. The following general guidance is offered to assist examinees in preparing for an ASTB test or retest.

1. Academic Qualifications Rating (AQR) : This score is affected by performance on all sub tests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.
  2. Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR): This score is affected by performance on all sub tests, but the greatest contribution is made by the Aviation & Nautical Information and Spatial Apperception Tests.
  3. Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): This score is affected by performance on all sub tests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.
  4. Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): This score is affected by performance on the first three sub tests, Math Skills, Reading Comprehension, and Mechanical Comprehension.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First, lets make sure we are talking about the correct Supplemental Section.

Was it the last part of the test?

If so, then that section does not count toward your score.

The sub-sections that are used to create your score are:

1. Math Comprehension
2. Reading Comprehension
3. Mechanical Comprehension
4. Spatial Apperception
5. Aviation and Nautical Information
(6. Aviation Supplemental Test)

I have a long sorted history with the ASTB. Check out some of my ASTB posts. Do you think I would mis-lead you?

turtl3 said:
Does it say somewhere that the AST does not count against scores?
Does it say somewhere on the NOMI site that the AST is used for the score?

Why would one candidate have an AST that covered nothing but math and another that covered nothing but aviation. How can that be STANDARDIZED and also be used to calculate a STANDARD SCORE?

-ea6bflyr ;)

MCatchings88

Q: I was just wondering what this portion of the test is about. From what I have heard from people its another aviation knowledge test. I took the ASTB today and my proctor gave me another Math section. Just curious if this was normal or something new?

A: This is possible, it happened to me and i got 6's across the board, dont worry about it.