• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Pipeline Diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan77

Can someone explain why NFO Advanced takes 40 weeks for E-2 and 31 weeks for Strike yet only 10 weeks for F-14?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
E-2 bubba's get winged out of VAW-120 and the syllabus it pretty hard...they have to track some ungodly amount of air contacts before they winged. The Strike-Fighter pipeline is actually longer than the Strike pipeline because all the NFO's have to learn the air-to-air radar stuff. You must also realize that the E-2 bubbas go straight to the fleet after winging and the strike/Strike-Fighter guys still have to go to the Fleet Replacement Squadron (FRS/RAG) for another 10 months to a year before they hit the fleet. I think the 10 weeks is a mistake. Where did you get 10 weeks from?
ea6bflyr [^]

Originally posted by ryan77
Can someone explain why NFO Advanced takes 40 weeks for E-2 and 31 weeks for Strike yet only 10 weeks for F-14?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think what you are seeing is the 10 weeks is in addition to the 31 weeks.....ok? Hope this answers the question!
ea6bflyr [^]

ryan77

Thanks for the info ea6bflyr. The diagram sends RIOs directly from Intermediate to a 10 week Advanced cycle. It seems like either 10 weeks is a misprint or RIOs make it up with a long RAG stint, probably the former.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keep in mind also that the chart is old. For example, Intermediate for E2/C2 is certainly not 11 weeks (longer). I know several guys who spent about 4 weeks in prop/maritime intermediate, not the 6 posted. Does this really matter though? I guess not. Also, the chart has the TA-4 for the jet pipeline which has not been used for quite some time. E2/C2 pilots are about to go to Kingsville vice Meridian. Subtle differences I know...

davidsin

that's a nice chart john. Do you have one for USMC aviation by any chance?

Because the foolishness of God is wiser then men, and the weakness of God is stronger then men.

1 Corithians 1:25

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From API through Advanced, Squids and Jarheads train together. I can't speak for the FRS side of the house, don't know if the jet community trains together or not (ie F18s).

kimphil

Originally posted by webmaster
From API through Advanced, Squids and Jarheads train together. I can't speak for the FRS side of the house, don't know if the jet community trains together or not (ie F18s).
In Air Warriors, Navy and Marine aviators trained together in FRS, at least in the F/A-18. It would also seem to make sense that Navy and Marines train in FRS together for the EA-6B (I don't think the Marines have enough planes to make a their own training squad). Of course, I don't think this applies for the platforms that don't overlap between the the two services (eg F-14 and AV-8B).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

kimphil

Originally posted by webmaster
What about C130s??? hmmm? USMC trains with the AF I do believe.

Hmm, you're probably right about that.

Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

kimphil

Originally posted by topher1235
The Marine Corps has a VMGRT squadron in cherry point for C-130 pilots

What does the "GR" VMGRT stand for?

Rainman

pilot
VMGRT

Marine Aerial Refueling Transport Training Squadron

For inquiring minds:
www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP16.PDF

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by kimphil