• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation/Nautical answers to the ASTB prep

Status
Not open for further replies.

DooDooBrown

Not trying to take the easy way out here... but im taking the test extremely soon. some of the questions in the Aviation and Nautical section of the ASTB prep test thats out there requires some explanation... was hoping some who is an ace at this (and its no problem for) would mind providing those explanations. thanks!

DooDooBrown

1. Does stall speed for a jet change in a turn? (from someone elses post)

2. Names for Aerobatic maneuvers I should familiarize myself with (or should i not waste my time?)

3. just making sure: Yury Gagarin was the first man in space and the first man to orbit the earth? he did both in one mission...?

4. just trying to get comfortable with runway numbering... 36=North (so the other end of the runway would be numbered 18? for south?); 27=West, 9=East... or am I all confused? also, if a runway is numbered 36 at one end and 18 at the other... how do you know if it is running North to South or South to North (same question for any numbering of a runway).

5. a shallow glide angle means that the craft is decending at a slower rate...? in ref to question 49.

those would be the questions for now... im sure ill have more later. thanks!

DooDooBrown

one more... do you think this site would be sufficient for studying right of way?

http://www.baysail.com/keelboat/k_lessone.htm

thanks again for all the help!

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Ok ... here goes ...

1. I believe the stall speed in a turn goes up.

2. I got a handout from my OSO that had these maneuvers: Immelman, Barrel Roll, Cuban 8, Split S, Loop.

3. Just remember Yuri was the first in space,
Alan Shepard was the first American in Space, and John Glenn was the first American to Orbit the earth.

4. You are always going twords the # of the runway ... i.e. if you are landing on 36 you are going north. Easy way to find the reciprocal heading is .... if its 180-360 subtract 180, if its 0-179 add 180.

5. I'm not sure about ... actually had questions bout that one myself.

Hope these help.

mot

Hey DooDooBrown, I just took the test form 2 on Monday. I will try and address what you asked with what I remember. Keep in mind, I am not a pilot, just someone like you, trying to make sense of the information we have.

1. I understood the stall speed to increase in a high degree of bank.

2. There was a question with a bunch of names and you needed to pick the aerial maneuver. Immelman is an aerial maneuver, might be helpful to know for the test.

3. The question I remember was who was the first person to orbit the earth. Glenn, Shepard, Yuri, and another Russian were the possible answers. I guessed Glenn, but I don’t know if he was the first PERSON to obit.

4. Spin explained runway headings well.

5. As far as I know, glide angle is the angle down from level a plane must fly to not stall while gliding. This might not be right, but it is how I understand it. Longer wings help you glide longer, shallower, smaller glide angle

The aviation / nautical section is almost exactly like the Marine study guide. Study everything, even how many masts a yawl and sloop have. The math and mechanical sections were closer to the ARCO study guide. “How many officers…” “Gear A turns 1 revolution, how far will gear B turn…”

Hope this helps, good luck!

MrTorso

just a hint to however might be looking at this. We use an acronym in Land Nav that helps us fine the back azimuth (i.e. opposite direction on the rare occassion we get lost). LAMS- less add more subtract. If the current azimuth is <180 add 180; >180 subtract 180. Example azimuth: 225, back azimuth: 45
azimuth: 25, back azimuth: 205 etc. etc.

Hope this helps.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
I'm not anywhere near to taking that test (still in HS
banghead_125.gif
) but I can answer a few.
3. Yuri was the first in space and the first to orbit. Yes, he did both in the same mission. Shepard was the first American in space, and Glenn was the first American to orbit (watch "The Right Stuff"
spin_125.gif
)

As for the other questions, they've already been pretty much answered, but you might want to go out and get a few books. I've got an old FAA 61-21 (Flight Training Handbook) which is great for stuff like this. Another one is "Van Sickle's Modern Airmanship," its got everything from trainers to jet aircraft info. See Ya!

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

Status
Not open for further replies.