• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation instructor career path

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're confusing your own experience with the assumptions of this hypothetical. That does not refute the logic of my previous statements.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
If your goal is permanent IP, the #1 EP buys you nothing, because you’ll be at terminal rank. Why soak that up when someone else could use it to continue their career? Doesn’t that seem selfish to you?

I think I realized that this whole debate is a lot like if the chicken or the egg came first argument. The foregone conclusion is that a permanent IP is terminal, so they don't really need/deserve a #1EP. So, without a #1 EP they don't pick up O-5. But, if they get a #1EP, they might actually have a chance to promote to O-5.

I know you and I have gone back and forth on this so not trying to change your opinion, but I will say that part of the reason dudes have lost faith in big Navy is because of the "FITREP game", and not just giving dudes straight up what they've earned and deserve.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Couple points. First, permanent IP = terminal rank. It’s in the NAVADMIN, so they don’t benefit from the #1 EP.

Second, this isn’t a discussion on the merits/shortcomings of the FITREP system. We’re all familiar. This is a discussion about a reporting senior’s decision making process.

Third, people have to divorce themselves from the idea that a FITREP is a report card, like in an academic sense. I’ve heard a lot of talk about people “getting what they deserve,” etc. That’s not what a FITREP is for. Never has been. In this case, the #1 EP is a ticket to compete for the next milestone. Overall performance is certainly a big part of that, but it doesn’t trump other factors.

We’ve been round and round on this here, and I’ve done my very best to explain and persuade those that are frustrated. People are frustrated because they have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the system is supposed to work.

Until those people snap out of it and change their thinking, they’re going to continue to be frustrated and I don’t have much sympathy for them. Life, and the Navy will go on.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
They benefit in keeping their options open. It’s not dishonest; call it selfish if you will, but a wise man once said losers talk about doing their best and winners go home to fuck the prom queen.

I think having the choice to do whatever you want is the prom queen in this analogy. Or maybe the navy is the prom queen? I don’t know.

Either way, If it offends your delicate sensibilities that someone would play the game to whatever their personal definition of a win is, too fucking bad. If you would spite someone after that for their methodology in hacking a broken system, then you’re the problem.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s actually entirely inaccurate. It says that it removes a person from command opportunity but makes no mention of terminal rank.

Sort of reinforces my point of FITREPs being a foregone conclusion, no?
When Airboss briefed it to us, he said they would be at terminal rank. That's the assumption I'm going on for now. If that ends up not being the case, either by instruction or in practice, then I would factor that into my decision making.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Wellllllll, when the SM/OP-T DH career path was brand new about ten years ago, the company sales pitch was that those folks would be able to compete for promotion to O-5, O-5 command command, and the rest of the standard career path. The reality was kind of the opposite of that and nobody was really surprised.

As far as how permanent instructor career path will play with promotion and screen boards, I don't see how the pain points of post-DH orders making the sausage at the sausage factory to a training wing can compete with making the coffee at the powerpoint factory a billet at a joint command/numbered fleet/etc.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it's understood that going PFI is taking a deliberate and irreversible step off the due course path. Caveat Emptor.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
When Airboss briefed it to us, he said they would be at terminal rank. That's the assumption I'm going on for now. If that ends up not being the case, either by instruction or in practice, then I would factor that into my decision making.

Hopefully they actually codify it to manage expectations. Relying on the words of the current Airboss just means it could all change when the Airboss changes.
Otherwise it resides on the subjectivity of the senior rater and we’re back to square one.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I find this whole program hilarious.

It takes a manpower pool (post DHs O-4s) and diverts them from...good deal staffs to flying tours? Great for those dudes and dudettes that wanna go to....Meridian/KVille and...fly three Xs a day in the clownjet? This sounds like old school FTS remade for LCDRs.

Once again the navy makes a program designed go fix their problems with little to no incentive for the people. Genius! Meanwhile JOs are shuffling to the exits.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once again the navy makes a program designed go fix their problems with little to no incentive for the people.
Wait a minute. I thought some folks just wanted to stay in the cockpit in perpetuity and not do staff tours? This has been talked about many many times on AW. Seems like a good niche program that would appeal to those folks, while boosting production in training pipelines, no?