• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Cruises

jnb921

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and I was just curious where everyone is going for their 1/C summer cruises. I am going aviation afloat 3rd phase. Also, is aviation afloat really as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Is there any chance and getting to go up in any of the jets/props/helos. I saw one forum on here where a midshipman got up in an f-18, but I also have seen people say they hated it. Thanks for your replies

ELCID05

There is a definite possibility of you going up in a fleet aircraft. Keep in mind that just bacause it says afloat doesnt neccessarily mean you will definitely be on a ship. My cruise was "afloat" and I was at NAS Oceana the whole time (and loved every minute of it). I didnt see a ship the whole time I was there.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
jnb4242 said:
saw one forum on here where a midshipman got up in an f-18, but I also have seen people say they hated it. Thanks for your replies

Someone said they "hated" an F-18 ride?

All I can say is enjoy your cruise and be happy to get at least one flight. Actually, be happy to be with a squadron and hang out with the JOs. Ask lots of questions too. The JOs are usually really cool and on a first name basis.

jnb921

No, I was talking about one post I saw with someone who went up in an f-18 (who obviously loved it). But some other people have not had such a good time.

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
I went Aviation Afload last summer on the NIMITZ. It was the best cruise I went on in my 4 years in NROTC. There were 10 other Mids onboard with me, and all of us were assigned to squadrons. I was with VAW-117 with three other Mids, and we all got flights in the Hawkeye. In addition to that, all of us onboard got a few Helo flights, and plenty of time up on the flight deck. Overall, it gave me a good taste of carrier operations during deployment, and a decent idea of what life is like on the carrier.

Definately take advantage of your time onboard, and cross your fingers that you'll hit a few good ports during your cruise.

darkman

I just got back from cruise. My cruise was listed as aviaton ashore. When I got to Japan I found out that ashore meant one week and then 15 days underway.

There were 14 middies assigned to differnt squadrons in the air wing. I think that we all got at least a few flights. I was assigned to a helo squadron and got a flight in a prowler as well. My E-2 flight got canceled on me but almost got a flight in that. A few of the MIDN were able to get super hornet rides.

I heard the rumor too that you can't get flights on aviation afloat cruises but its not true. Even during Valiant Shield, a big joint operations exercise, middies were still getting flights.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jnb4242 said:
No, I was talking about one post I saw with someone who went up in an f-18 (who obviously loved it). But some other people have not had such a good time.

They probably got sick

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
navysoccer18 said:
I went Aviation Afload last summer on the NIMITZ. It was the best cruise I went on in my 4 years in NROTC. There were 10 other Mids onboard with me, and all of us were assigned to squadrons. I was with VAW-117 with three other Mids, and we all got flights in the Hawkeye. In addition to that, all of us onboard got a few Helo flights, and plenty of time up on the flight deck. Overall, it gave me a good taste of carrier operations during deployment, and a decent idea of what life is like on the carrier.

Definately take advantage of your time onboard, and cross your fingers that you'll hit a few good ports during your cruise.

I'm goin to VAW-117 this summer....this will be ashore though, but I am definitely looking forward to it. Anyone else going to Pt. Mugu?

Fly Navy said:
They probably got sick

One of the Middies I cruised with actually PASSED on a Rhino ride off the Lincoln because he got sick in the Prowler:confused: :eek: . I didn't get sick in either, but if I would have, I think it's safe to say very little would have kept me out of that back-seat opportunity of a lifetime. :D

Those four weeks (especially the two on the Lincoln) were some of the best times I've had anywhere. As stated; keep an open mind and take advantage of your status as a Middy.

-jai5w4

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
jai5w4 said:
One of the Middies I cruised with actually PASSED on a Rhino ride off the Lincoln because he got sick in the Prowler:confused: :eek: . I didn't get sick in either, but if I would have, I think it's safe to say very little would have kept me out of that back-seat opportunity of a lifetime. :D
-jai5w4

Never underestimate the misery of airsickness...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
zippy said:
Never underestimate the misery of airsickness...

Too true. I could tell you a story I heard about transporting certain "personnel" in the sandbox (not by me, by someone else). Long story short, E-ticket ride leads to singing like a canary. We really need a SIPR AW.