• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Average amount of leave granted after graduation

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
Is there a set amount of leave granted to OCS graduates, does it change depending on designator, or does it just change based on individuals?

Wanted to try and plan for after graduation a timeline for seeing family and such.

Knightsnation

Knightsnation
What's the shortest amount of leave you've heard of, post OCS?
You earn 2.5 days of leave per month. So you earn about a weeks worth of leave while at OCS. Ive actually been wondering the same thing because my family is planning a 5 days cruise 2 weeks after I graduate from OCS. I just don't know how taking 6 days of leave looks while on OHARP.

croakerfish

pilot
You earn 2.5 days of leave per month. So you earn about a weeks worth of leave while at OCS. Ive actually been wondering the same thing because my family is planning a 5 days cruise 2 weeks after I graduate from OCS. I just don't know how taking 6 days of leave looks while on OHARP.

If they approve it who cares? Also, I seriously doubt anyone will blink at a 6-day leave request. It's not like you're running a department or something on OHARP.

IRfly

None
It's all based on designator and how quickly they need bodies to get to the next stage of the pipeline. NOT based on individuals, i.e. if the DI doesn't like you, he can't make sure you don't get leave. Although he COULD keep you there a few extra weeks...

When I went through (long time ago, when OCS was across the street from API), SNAs had to go check in to API immediately after graduation and then request leave from there. Some didn't get it because they classed up really quickly. SNFOs had all the time in the world. YMMV.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Is there a set amount of leave granted to OCS graduates, does it change depending on designator, or does it just change based on individuals?

Wanted to try and plan for after graduation a timeline for seeing family and such.

It varies on timing and designator. Your best bet would be to talk to a current OHARP Ensign. More than likely there's at least one or two hanging out and shredding papers at the NRD headquarters. Get in touch with them to get a ballpark idea since they're only a few months ahead of you. In the end, be flexible and do not try to plan anything post-OCS until you have a firm timeline after graduation.

Duc'-guy25

pilot

Might want to fact check this one, I know Marine OCAN's do not earn leave.

IRfly

None
Pretty sure everything about this guy indicates we're talking about Navy OCS.

And, while I've never worked in an NRD, I would guess that there is almost literally nowhere in the Navy easier to take leave from than OHARP.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
You might want to read the previous posts before butting in. This is about NAVY OCS, and how much leave you'll accumulate while at OCS for the Navy. Not the Marines.

Yes I'm aware, but OCAN is OCAN, pay and leave is done the same way throughout the branches last time I checked...almost like there are pay grades or something. Just saying to check it dude, cool your jets.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
And for the OP- heres the verbiage from MILSPERMAN 1050-010, "Granting Officer Candidate Leave. Upon graduation of officer candidate training, newly commissioned officers may be authorized 30 days leave, in advance (if necessary) en route to their first permanent duty station."

No mention if leave is accrued at Navy OCS and my first commission was not through OCS, so no I am not sure on that one.

Unless you've commissioned from Navy OCS (which you didn't) or work in a recruiting command where you know the in's and out's of OCS (which it appears you didn't as well)... shut the fuck up. You're doing nothing more than confusing the applicant and insinuating arguments with other folks who are trying to help.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

One thing you'll learn is to be flexible, and not to make plans until the last minute when things are more certain.

Your best bet may be to wait until you get your orders then PCS to Pensacola and put in leave there while you're in A pool waiting to start. Also, people tend to like to come visit friends in Florida so you might just be able to wrangle them into a road trip.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yes I'm aware, but OCAN is OCAN, pay and leave is done the same way throughout the branches last time I checked...almost like there are pay grades or something. Just saying to check it dude, cool your jets.
Navy officer candidates at OCS are active duty, normally with the pay grade of E-5. NUPOC candidates have the pay-grade of E-6 or E-7 (the latter if they referred another accepted applicant prior to OCS). As an active duty servicemember, you accrue leave at 2.5 days/mo.

The language in the milpersman allows candidates to go 'in the hole' en route to their first duty station. When would something like this apply? Say you are a SWO and you graduated on March 25 with orders to your ship in San Diego NLT April. You formally get ~9 days of travel, after that you begin automatically using leave if you don't check-in to your new command. You coordinate with the ship's XO and he can support you checking in on April 29, which gives you time to find an apartment/house, move your HHG, and maybe spend a little bit of time with family before the ship owns your life. Since you only accrued 7.5 days of leave, the milpersman allows you to use negative leave until your check-in date.

Note though that it says 'may' and not 'shall.' The XO could also just tell you show up on April 10, ship is going on deployment and he expects you on it.