• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

kvnbaumann

Little late to the forum but I'm getting the impression that having a car to OCS or buying one immediately after is a good case. I am going in as Nuke so I figured that I should have a car considering I will be in Charleston for 6-12 months afterwards. So my question is in this case (Coming from LA), should I buy a car before going and drive over or somehow buy a car after OCS?

LadyT

Little late to the forum but I'm getting the impression that having a car to OCS or buying one immediately after is a good case. I am going in as Nuke so I figured that I should have a car considering I will be in Charleston for 6-12 months afterwards. So my question is in this case (Coming from LA), should I buy a car before going and drive over or somehow buy a car after OCS?

I personally would wait until right after OCS or when you get to Charleston. You won't really drive much during OCS (unless you end up in med pool or something crazy). When you get liberty you can take an uber/taxi/ride with your shipmates. I don't know if you are coming from L.A. or Louisiana but either way, it will be a long drive. Save your future car (and your body) the wear and tear of that drive.

kvnbaumann

Thanks! Long ways away for me but helpful for planning and deciding if I should get a car for my last year at school.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Also, don't use that USAA commissioning loan to buy the car unless you can't get an auto loan for less than 2.99%. I haven't used USAA's car buying service personally, but I hear good things.

kvnbaumann

Also, don't use that USAA commissioning loan to buy the car unless you can't get an auto loan for less than 2.99%. I haven't used USAA's car buying service personally, but I hear good things.

I don't care about a top notch car. Between NUPOC and money earned during OCS, I hope to have enough to outright buy a used car. Nothing fancy but does the trick while in Charleston/Groton initially.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Sell your car; buy a motorcycle.
92022-tom-cruise-motorcycle-gif-Top-RzDx.gif

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Can any recent graduates speak to driving vs. flying? I live in Pittsburgh so I'm about a 9 hour drive which isn't horrible but still it doesn't seem like there's much reason to have a car there with cabs/uber being available. However my processor is pushing for driving and said if I fly it would be only a one way ticket.

PlunkInTheTrunk

Has anyone ever rented a camper and taken an extended road trip to OCS?

I'll be traveling from FL and would like to sight see along the east coast. I'm thinking a week and a half to two weeks would be ideal.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm sure the training phase plays a role in that. What else is there to consider?

You're asking the same question as "when can I have/use my cell phone"? It really depends on your class performance, you can probably search and find an "average" timeframe as to when people can use their car.