• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

Joey H

Just checking in here, I drove my POV from San Francisco to Newport a few months ago before I started OCS. I claimed 9 travel days, and since I used campsites and drive a car that's good on gas I was able to pocket around $1700. I'd definitely recommend driving, especially if you're coming from the West Coast. I made a decent amount of money and got to see quite a few states that i'd never visited before!
Hello Kayeshorter, I was wondering when you attended OCS? How would a car do if it was there in the winter? What were the guidelines they gave you for your drive? And if you could give me any insight on what to expect and what I should prepare myself for OCS that would be much appreciated!

Thank you, Joey

Kayeshorter

Candios be losing their damn minds!

We've had three snow-days recently, there's not much to do around here except drink coffee and watch Indocs shovel snow!

My car is doing just fine, just make sure you have decent tires. It's great to have a place to stash extra crap and be able to drive on the weekends, I would highly recommend it. I received very little guidance before i arrived, you'll sign a form at your recruiting station that states that you assume full responsibility to get yourself here on time, so just give yourself enough time to compensate for travel interruptions and you should be fine.

JKMCC

I am planning on driving to OCS (Mar. 22).

Do you get TDY mileage or PCS mileage? Also, how does the weight of your car factor into it? I have heard you need to weigh your car empty and then weigh it full? can anyone provide some insight on this?

Kayeshorter

I was reimbursed 23 cents a mile, plus per diem, which I'm pretty sure is TDY. Since this isn't a permanent duty station, you aren't moving your things, which means that none of the weigh-in/weigh-out rules apply (since they don't need to calculate the weight of your household goods). I saved all my receipts, but was never asked to turn them in or anything, they just calculate your mileage, and then add per diem ($127 per day I'm pretty sure. It's somewhere right around there).

Feel free to message me about any questions you might have. We have absolutely nothing to do until our comissioning on Friday.

egriff25

My brakes ended up warping (due to the salt and snow or both). Second the idea of bringing a stash of goodies. You should get car runs at least a couple of times.

TnSig

SNA
Going to Pensacola for API is NOT a PCS move. You are TDY to Pensacola as you are only supposed to be there around three or four months for IFS and API. We were told in the personal property brief last month to let everyone know it's NOT a PCS move. Some of my classmates were awfully upset when they found out the Navy would not be moving the new furniture they purchased in Pensacola all the way to Corpus because API was only an intermediate stop. They had to move their new furniture on their own dime. Your first career PCS will be to primary, be that in Milton or Corpus.

Confused? Yes, we were, too.

Last edited:

MGB001

If you bring a POV is it a requirement that it be titled in your name or can it be a family vehicle that is being lent to you?

PettyOfficerCJ

If you bring a POV is it a requirement that it be titled in your name or can it be a family vehicle that is being lent to you?

If it's just for OCS, I wouldn't see why you couldn't use someone else's car. After all, you could rent a car if you wanted and would still be reimbursed at least the mileage. At least, that's how it works for other travel situations.

If it's for PCSing, the Navy will not ship a car for you unless it is titled in your name. (You would only be doing that though if PCSing to someplace where it would be better to ship your car than drive it.)

azbornpilot

Aviation bum
So I posted this in the "stupid questions" thread and didn't get any feedback. Perhaps this is the correct place. Any help is appreciated!

Hey all,

Been combing through the forum trying to wrap my head around the moving situation for the first year or so... Please let me know if/where I'm going wrong!
[I am an SNA candidate]

-Being recruited out of NRD Los Angeles.
-Get "X" number of days to travel from CA to RI for OCS. (I am considering driving...)
-Upon graduation from OCS, I get "X" number of days to move to Pensacola. (This is a PCS move I believe.)
-After API, I could end up in Corpus Christi or stay in Pensacola. If I go to Corpus Christi I would again be making a PCS move...

Does that sound about right? Also another quick question, so being that I am originally from California, how should I get my furniture, TV, etc to Pensacola after OCS?? Or should I just sell most of it and pick up new stuff in Pensacola? I don't have a ton of things but I would like to get my couch, TV, etc out to Pensacola if it makes sense...

Also I am single so no dependents (if that makes a difference).

Appreciate the help!

To answer your question:

As a recent graduate I can tell you that driving out is your best option. Pack the things you will need right away in Pensacola after OCS and the rest can be shipped. If you are a validatior i.e. you possess a private pilot license or higher plan on a shorter stay in A-Pool here in PCola. We had several members of my class and other recent ones who made the trek in the winter from the west coast to RI and they were all fine and glad they did so. You accumulate a lot of gear at OCS and it is a royal PITA if you have to find a way to fly it somewhere with you( about 3 sea bags worth). Plus you are paid for the travel and it is the best deal going. The move from Newport to PCola is not a PCS move because API is technically a TDY. Therefore you move your stuff on your own dime if you are single with no dependents.

As for the how many days from Newport to PCola, it depends on if you get OHARP or not. My class did not get OHARP and we only received 4 days travel with a report no later than date of a week post graduation day( the following Friday). If you receive OHARP it can vary for the time they need you in OHARP and where it is located. Being that you are in NRD LA, you'd get the same allotment of travel time or maybe a day shorter to get to PCola. No big deal. OHARP all depends on the pilot training pipeline, and is given at an as needed basis. Most of the time, if APool is full you get OHARP. Which depending on your OCS class date and graduation date, can vary. The point is you'll figure it out when you get Closer to OCS graduation. And you'll have worries way bigger and higher priority at OCS than moving your junk from Cali- trust me. My advice is pack your stuff so that if you need to move immediately, you can. Plan on shipping it or finding another way to get it to PCola- you don't want it sitting out in your car for 3 months.

As for Corpus it can be considered a PCS move, and as far as I know can be done from your Home of Residence. Otherwise, you'll be an officer at the end of OCS and you should be able to figure things out yourself it's not hard and you'll be making plenty of money.

In the mean time, have fun, work out and get in as best physical shape as you can for OCS. Shoot to MAX OUT the PRT standards!!! Study your appendix B study guide and know it by heart before you come!!!!!! These two things along with a humble attitude will ensure you are well prepared for some of the most mental and physical tasking months of your life. I cannot emphasize those two things enough!!Spend time with your friends and family for you may not see them again for a very long time!! Most of all have fun, enjoy life, and know your are beginning the career of your life!

Hope this helps.

V/R

A guy who has been in your shoes.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Can you explain how you were able to get 12 days? Seems like that should be more like a 5 or 6 day trip rather than 12....
Any info on how they calc the number of days you get to drive?
http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqtvlpoc.cfm
For TDY, you get one day per 400 miles traveled. For a PCS move, you get one day per 350 miles traveled. So if your trip is 350 mi or less, you get one day. 351-700 miles, you get two days. 701-1050 miles, three days, etc.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
So quick follow up question to this:
For a TDY move to Newport from Los Angeles is roughly 3000 miles. Based on 400mile/day, that gives me 8 days of total travel time allowed. So my question is; what if I do the drive in 3 or 4 days? Do you still get per diem for all 8 days? Is there any reason to do it in a shorter time?

Thanks in advance.

You need to take "8" days to get to Newport if you want all of that per diem/ travel pay.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
So quick follow up question to this:
For a TDY move to Newport from Los Angeles is roughly 3000 miles. Based on 400mile/day, that gives me 8 days of total travel time allowed. So my question is; what if I do the drive in 3 or 4 days? Do you still get per diem for all 8 days? Is there any reason to do it in a shorter time?

Thanks in advance.
What he said. The only way anyone is gonna know how long the trip took is from the paperwork you fill out when you get there. If you write three days, you get three days' per diem. If you write eight, you get eight. Of course, if you really take eight days to make the trip, you have to pay for eight nights in a hotel.

...unless you get creative.

MGB001

I'm really torn on whether to drive or fly to Newport. I'll be coming from Norfolk, VA. Don't actually have my FinSel yet so I don't know whether I'll have winter weather conditions to contend with or no. I know that storing snacks and your phone in your POV is a major plus, as well as the ability to drive during liberty. Right now I might be leaning towards flying just to get rid of the additional stress of dealing with my car (it's older and I'm not sure how well it would handle the trip and sitting in the elements, although it would probably be ok). Would someone with more experience be willing to shed some light on whether I would regret the decision to fly over drive? Do we really get that much liberty that a car is needed vs. just taking a cab to get off base on the weekends? If it matters, my family would be willing to drive an extra car up to Newport for graduation and leave it with me should I be stuck there for awhile afterwards and they would also be able to take most of my acquired gear back with them (they in the same area as my follow up school) so I didn't have to take a huge pile of stuff onto my return flight.