• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

MasterBates

Disconnecting battery is key. I helped kmac change the battery in his car yesterday. A year sitting connected in a storage unit = battery won't even take a charge.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
You will know long before you get to graduation that your car has problems. And you'll probably have time to fix them, even if it's a pain. For what it's worth, someone in our class did have a dead battery.

Disconnecting the battery is probably a good idea, but just be ready to be quick with it. Don't bet on being able to stand around figurin' it out at the last minute. I assure you, that'll be the last thing on your mind.

borednstoked

If I have a new car, and the weather is that bad (I'll be driving up in February for March 4 class), would it be better leaving it in a local storage unit off the base? Anyone know of any? The thing is, after OCS I'll stay in RI for the next 6 months or so for Supply BQC and I'll have to drive my second car to RI for the PCS move. I'd rather fly up there but from SoCal it will be much more difficult moving two cars between OCS and BQC so I'd rather get one of them up there first and bring the second later with the movers after OCS.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The only indoor auto storage I've heard of on Aquidneck Island (Newport, Middletown & Portsmouth, RI) is this: http://www.parkplaceholdings.com/

It will cost you though. They usually deal with classic and collector cars.

I haven't heard of a U-Store unit that has storage lockers big enough for a car. I guess you could car them and see if anyone has a 10 x 30 that you could rent and then park it inside.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It's just snow. It doesn't destroy cars. If it's the same as when I was there, it's a lot off the street, so there isn't a huge worry about salt corrosion. Maybe get a car cover. You'll be happy you have a car when it comes to that.

kdenn

I have a question about the registration. I'm taking my dad's car to Newport, so the title and registration is in his name. Does anyone know if this will be a problem?

jtmedli

pilot
I have a question about the registration. I'm taking my dad's car to Newport, so the title and registration is in his name. Does anyone know if this will be a problem?

Im pretty sure my registration and insurance were still in my mom's name at the time. It was never a big deal.

boostadikt

VFA-106
I'm still really trying to figure this out, so far the biggest reason mentioned is that you get to stash stuff in your car. While the cons are it has to sit by the ocean with seagulls and salt water corrosion for 12 weeks, and the loooong drive. Is there going to be any real reason I need it out there? Everyone seems to be pro car, so instead of driving to Newport why wouldn't you recommend flying to OCS then flying home to visit the family, grabbing my car and driving to Pensacola? (aside from travel compensation... I don't care about the $500 I might make driving to RI)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Your car is also something slightly more intangible. When you get libbo, it's "freedom", if you will. If everyone who has BTDT is trying to tell you to drive your car and you're not listening, you might want to switch to SWO from SNA.

boostadikt

VFA-106
If everyone who has BTDT is trying to tell you to drive your car and you're not listening, you might want to switch to SWO from SNA.

Haha harsh... I've been planning on driving, it's just that 2300 miles seems rough just for a place to stash my stuff. I read elsewhere that you can get "secured" as early as 4 weeks and you are allowed to leave base. Is that true, and how often would you want to leave base? I guess I was just looking for something overwhelming like "you need it because..."

borednstoked

Haha harsh... I've been planning on driving, it's just that 2300 miles seems rough just for a place to stash my stuff. I read elsewhere that you can get "secured" as early as 4 weeks and you are allowed to leave base. Is that true, and how often would you want to leave base? I guess I was just looking for something overwhelming like "you need it because..."

Feel the same way. If I didn't have 6 more months in RI after OCS I wouldn't want to make the 3400 mile drive from here. Sucks but I'm going to stop in Houston for three days of gulf fishing on the way!

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Smart Stuff
SWO stuff

Forget leaving base until you're in your Candi-O phase (week 9). It just probably isn't going to happen. If your class is a bunch of turds, you might not even get liberty then. It's totally dependent on your class and class team.

Also, flying commercially with all of your 'crap' from OCS is just a pain in the ass. You're better off being able to throw it all in the trunk of your car and driving.

Furthermore, you'll get more 'personal' (read: Travel) time if you bring your car with you to OCS. It really is a win/win, as long as you don't have a POS car that is going to break down on you.

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
Just checking to see if driving is still allowed. Swore in today and my processor looked shocked and said he didn't think they allowed us to drive.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I drove. I went to OCS in March of '09...so unless it's recent and someone fucked it away for everyone, I don't see why you can't.