• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I'm signing my FS Letter on Thursday! My tentative report date is 30 October, but I'm trying to get that pushed back until November or January because of work. I look forward to seeing y'all in Newport.

Work? This is your new work!

But if you can't get it pushed back, look forward to meeting you in about 4 weeks.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

But if you can't get it pushed back, look forward to meeting you in about 4 weeks.

Unfortunately, I found an "interim" job working for NASA and pulling myself off of the duty roster with a scant three weeks notice would leave the program woefully undermanned. In all honesty though, my gut reaction was to pull up stakes and head for Newport for a nice few weeks vacation, so as to acclimate to the weather and all. :D

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
I'm a secondary alternate from the August board, and I was told today in no uncertain terms by my recruiter that, because I'd received a pro-rec as an alternate (his words, not mine), re-applying would involve me declining the first pro-rec. He said that, obviously, that wouldn't be viewed favorably by a future board. I hadn't realized that as an alternate, I'd technically received a pro-rec, but it looks like I won't be reapplying unless I get declined. If there really is a board in January, I hope that I find out in enough time to get a package in, but I'm not counting on it at this point.
Yes, as it was explained to me, an alternate is still a pro rec. It would make no sense to decline you alternate selection just to apply for a pro rec. You should be doing your physical at MEPS and getting prepared for OCS... The difference between alternate and primary alternate is just the fiscal year you will ship.

Fastdak25

Pro-Rec'd IW
I just received 27NOV11 as my date. I'm still waiting for my FS, though. I wasn't expecting a date this early (nor this quickly), but I had MEPS and security done well before the board even met.

May I ask how you recieved your OCS class date before recieving your FS letter? Is there another place one can check for themselves?

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
Yes, as it was explained to me, an alternate is still a pro rec. It would make no sense to decline you alternate selection just to apply for a pro rec. You should be doing your physical at MEPS and getting prepared for OCS... The difference between alternate and primary alternate is just the fiscal year you will ship.

I just want to confirm. I even went through this thread to make sure I didn't miss anything. So primary alternates will get slots for FY12 and alternates will get slots for FY13????

dotonfire

May I ask how you recieved your OCS class date before recieving your FS letter? Is there another place one can check for themselves?
I'm not entirely sure. My processor emailed me that I was "scheduled" for the 27th, that she's confident it won't change, and that she's still waiting for my final selection, at which point I will swear in. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one around here for which this is the case.

shutout39

pilot
I just want to confirm. I even went through this thread to make sure I didn't miss anything. So primary alternates will get slots for FY12 and alternates will get slots for FY13????

That's what Millsra said:

That is exactly what he told me yesterday. Primary Alternates WILL be going to OCS. I even asked point blank to verify. This is from the processor and not the OCS manager, but he was told by the manager, so I would call it acurate. He said all primary alternates are going as soon as the FY-12 quotas are finalized and they need to be going to MEPS as if they were Pro Rec'd.

They way I understand it is since the board was so competitive, they didn't want to send everybody packing without knowing exactly what their quota was. The 85 pro-recs is probably the absolute worst they expect, and the full 135 pro-rec's and alternates is probably their optimistic expectation. All we can do, and this is straight from my Lt. Commander, is sit and wait and hope some of the pro-recs got fat and DQ, or don't want it anymore.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
They way I understand it is since the board was so competitive, they didn't want to send everybody packing without knowing exactly what their quota was. The 85 pro-recs is probably the absolute worst they expect, and the full 135 pro-rec's and alternates is probably their optimistic expectation. All we can do, and this is straight from my Lt. Commander, is sit and wait and hope some of the pro-recs got fat and DQ, or don't want it anymore.
Yes, but you "alternate" guys are still Pro Recs. You just aren't going to get an OCS date right away. This is the exact definition of Alternate from BOL. "Alternate- This means that you have been professionally reccomended, however, there are no current OCS class dates open for you to be placed in at this time for final select purposes" I guess the confusion arises due to the "primary alternate" vs. "alternate". From what was explained to me by the OCS department is that primary alternates are going to go for FY-12 dates (before June) and alternates are going for FY-13 dates after June (unless there are openings to fill before June). Hope this clears it up a little.

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
Yes, but you "alternate" guys are still Pro Recs. You just aren't going to get an OCS date right away. This is the exact definition of Alternate from BOL. "Alternate- This means that you have been professionally reccomended, however, there are no current OCS class dates open for you to be placed in at this time for final select purposes" I guess the confusion arises due to the "primary alternate" vs. "alternate". From what was explained to me by the OCS department is that primary alternates are going to go for FY-12 dates (before June) and alternates are going for FY-13 dates after June (unless there are openings to fill before June). Hope this clears it up a little.
thank you millsra you have been a great source for information. Now I just need to get to MEPS

Stalin

My FSL is in my recruiter's hands, just gotta schedule my MEPS date. OCS date Feb 12, 2012. Wonder what my next obstacle will be? I thought I was on the home stretch a year ago LOL

pbrayGT

Pro rec'd SNA! FS --> OCS 17 Jun

So does this mean that in receiving a pro rec and graduating in May I will get an OCS date before June essentially throwing me from college to OCS with no real break in between?

Kanjelman7

During the interviews, they are mostly concerned with calc and physics.

Even prior enlisted nukes (like myself) have to do technical interviews and interview with the Admiral for selection. It's a requirement that cannot be waived, and I know of prior nukes who have failed the interviews or been thrown out of the Admirals office.

If I may ask, for what reasons?

Thank you.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Hey, looks like we'll be in the same class. Apparently it requires national authority to move OCS dates now, and said authority has set all upcoming OCS rosters in stone. Well, first beer of liberty is on me, I guess. Yut!