• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

JasonRRR

Hey guys, Im new here and I applied for SNA and NFO. I submitted my package before July 25 2011 as my recruiter instructed. As I read these posts, you guys are saying you've gotten calls and results. I contacted my recruiter who confirmed that my package was received but the recruiter had no idea if I was selected or not. (My recruiter told me that I would get a letter in the mail but I havent gotten crap yet not even a yes or a no) First off im saying to myself WTF? Secondly I was told that there was no Pilot board in Aug. But you guys are posting about being selected for SNA , so again WTF? Finally I was told to call back in October to see if anything changed because there was supposedly going to be a NFO board then. Im so confused... Please shed some light for me if you know what you're talking about.

P.S. I submitted a full package with Meps done, SF 86, LORs and all those fun forms -_- you had to fill out. I have no tickets, no medical problems or anything what so ever that could possibly put the package on hold. In the mean time Ive been hacking away at my masters degree because I dont want to waste time sitting around waiting for a response.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Hey guys, Im new here and I applied for SNA and NFO. I submitted my package before July 25 2011 as my recruiter instructed. As I read these posts, you guys are saying you've gotten calls and results. I contacted my recruiter who confirmed that my package was received but the recruiter had no idea if I was selected or not. (My recruiter told me that I would get a letter in the mail but I havent gotten crap yet not even a yes or a no) First off im saying to myself WTF? Secondly I was told that there was no Pilot board in Aug. But you guys are posting about being selected for SNA , so again WTF? Finally I was told to call back in October to see if anything changed because there was supposedly going to be a NFO board then. Im so confused... Please shed some light for me if you know what you're talking about.

P.S. I submitted a full package with Meps done, SF 86, LORs and all those fun forms -_- you had to fill out. I have no tickets, no medical problems or anything what so ever that could possibly put the package on hold. In the mean time Ive been hacking away at my masters degree because I dont want to waste time sitting around waiting for a response.

I'm not going to sugarcoat this...Your recruiter blows. If what you are saying is true, then you need to call your NRD. Did your recruiter tell you that there was no board in August? Really? What NRD are you out of?

JasonRRR

I'm not going to sugarcoat this...Your recruiter blows. If what you are saying is true, then you need to call your NRD. Did your recruiter tell you that there was no board in August? Really? What NRD are you out of?

My recruiter works in the NRD place (which as you enter has this weird bell thing/contraption located by a blank wall) Sorry if Isound like a total noob but I am a civilian trying to figure this thing out. With respect to my NRD place I will not discolse which one im working with publicaly but as soon as I figure out how to private message, I will let you know.

miguel

Pro-Rec INTEL Aug board
Hi Fastdak,
I already had my TS-SCI clearance in my package, so im good on that... as far as the medical stuff, i could understand why they wanted new documents, it was a year old...:D... between the cancellations on boards and push backs my package had been sitting since sept 2010...:(... but all is well now for me :) and hopefully for Miguel also... and hopefully you dont have to submit anymore paperwork either! HERE'S TO HOPING FOR A FINAL SELECT LETTER SOON!!! :rolleyes:
lol. thanks for the concerns. all is well jsut impatiently waiting. lol.

Fastdak25

Pro-Rec'd IW
Hi Fastdak,
I already had my TS-SCI clearance in my package, so im good on that... as far as the medical stuff, i could understand why they wanted new documents, it was a year old...:D... between the cancellations on boards and push backs my package had been sitting since sept 2010...:(... but all is well now for me :) and hopefully for Miguel also... and hopefully you dont have to submit anymore paperwork either! HERE'S TO HOPING FOR A FINAL SELECT LETTER SOON!!! :rolleyes:

Well I emailed the processors to verify everything was still good and i didn't have to resubmit anything. He wrote back saying, "We have processed you for the medical review and are waiting on the PM to give us permission to move forward. Once everything is approved it will be sent to your COC." This is still a vague statement to me, but it sounds like the med review has already finished with me and everything was forwarded to the PM, seeing as the PM is the one everything goes to for final review and vote. Just hoping it doesn't take too long for the final vote so my FS letter can be drafted and sent off. Hoping to class up by January at the latest, maybe february to avoid deployment.

Adam Webster

Not Selected

61/6/5/6
3.1 GPA U of Arizona, Business Economics
Applied a whole lot of things but, as we all know, most programs didn't see the light of the board room.
Eagle Scout, Community Service

Basically, I see the reason I wasn't selected was because with the military not bringing in as many officers nowadays and with the recession pushing a lot of people into applying to OCS... short of building a time machine and getting a new 4 year degree... I don't see my chances improving over the next couple years (I can retake the astb and maybe get letters of rec from people with more important sounding titles). I decided to try and go the enlisted route. Luckily my AZVAB scores are still relevant (94 AFQT) so I qualified into the Enlisted Nuke Program and I'm hoping to go OCS through the back door.

I am very fond of the back door ;)

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Not Selected

61/6/5/6
Applied a whole lot of things but, as we all know, most programs didn't see the light of the board room.

Basically, I see the reason I wasn't selected was because with the military not bringing in as many officers nowadays and with the recession pushing a lot of people into applying to OCS... short of building a time machine and getting a new 4 year degree... I don't see my chances improving over the next couple years (I can retake the astb and maybe get letters of rec from people with more important sounding titles). I decided to try and go the enlisted route. Luckily my AZVAB scores are still relevant (94 AFQT) so I qualified into the Enlisted Nuke Program and I'm hoping to go OCS through the back door.

As an enlisted sailor who just got accepted to OCS, I would have to NOT recommend doing that. Your GPA is good and with a little studying you can bring your ASTB scores up. If you go enlisted, it will probably be about three years minimum until you have a decent chance of getting selected. I say this because they weigh your package heavily on evals and you probably won't get an EP (top) eval for probably three years. If you had a really low GPA I would probably suggest enlisting, but you aren't that far off from the mark. Just try again and see what happens. Just my 2 pennies.

Adam Webster

The reason why I'm considering that route is because I'm still young enough where I don't have to consider deadlines. And this last board took 11 months for my package to get looked at. I don't know when there's another board scheduled but there were boards scheduled for March, April, and May for this year and look how that went.

That aside, having a non-technical degree and really wanting to be a nuclear swo this is a good choice for me I think. SWO wont be open until FY13 anyway and with my educational background, I have no possibility of getting into nuke.

Kay

Hi Fastdak,

Hey PRISSY,

Glad to hear the process is moving along for you! I just found out I got medically cleared and had my background investigation interview (so the process is started). I would love to get my FS letter soon but who knows. My OR thinks I will be going to OCS in the summer, I really wish I could go earlier though, March or Feb would be awesome. It would be nice to class up with people from AW!

AT3Macklin

Commissioned 17 AUG 2012
I decided to try and go the enlisted route. Luckily my AZVAB scores are still relevant (94 AFQT) so I qualified into the Enlisted Nuke Program and I'm hoping to go OCS through the back door.

Adam Webster,
I agree with Millsra13..... I did exactly what you are thinking about doing 3.5 years ago after I put my first package in. I thought it would be easy to drop a package in after being enlisted because that's what recruiters told me. It is exactly the opposite in fact. Between learning your job, getting your quals, and raising yourself to a position of leadership in order to get good evals it will be at least 3 years like Millsra said. I made E-5 in 2 years which was about as fast as I possibly could and due to PCS orders and everything mentioned above I am just now getting a package submitted. Hopefully it works out with a 3.61 GPA, 57 6/6/7 ASTB, 3x O-5 and 1x O-6 Recs, ~260 hours volunteer, and a NAM but these days I just don't know. Good luck but I would also discourage this unless you just want to serve enlisted before going officer.

AT2 Macklin

miguel

Pro-Rec INTEL Aug board
Not Selected

61/6/5/6

My opinion on that would be just try again through the same process. Being in the enlisted ranks may help your package but it would take 3-4 years of continuous superior performance to achieve that. Qualifications, masters, civilian certifications, high PFA scores, outstanding evals, consistent recommendations from senior officers and volunteer work are some of the many things you will have to add to your 40+ hour work week. If you keep trying through the current process you WILL get picked up faster than you would as an enlisted.
Unless your main goal is to simply start your military service time I would advice against it.

miguel

Pro-Rec INTEL Aug board
Hey PRISSY,

Glad to hear the process is moving along for you! I just found out I got medically cleared and had my background investigation interview (so the process is started). I would love to get my FS letter soon but who knows. My OR thinks I will be going to OCS in the summer, I really wish I could go earlier though, March or Feb would be awesome. It would be nice to class up with people from AW!
Kay,

That is awesome. The fact that you got screened and are moving forward gives hopes that me and Prissy's paperwork should be coming along quickly. In regards to your investigation, as long as you have not moved out and traveled to a whole bunch of foreign countries and you dont have too many foreign contacts/relatives the investigation can be done in maybe 2-3 months. I have my TS/SCI and even when I first joined bootcamp in 2004 it only took about 4 months. In 2011 I renewed it with plenty of foreign leisure travel as well as foreign contacts and relatives and it took only a month or two to get ocmpleted. The hardest thing to do is to get you interviewed and it is only hard if what i said above happened. I dont know about January but I can see you making it to the Feb march board like you want.

Miguel

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
That aside, having a non-technical degree and really wanting to be a nuclear swo this is a good choice for me I think. SWO wont be open until FY13 anyway and with my educational background, I have no possibility of getting into nuke.

FWIW-enlisted nuke wont get you a Nuke Officer slot (unless you want LDO or Warrant 10 years down the line-not SWO nuke). No way around the Physics/Calculus requirements.

Though if you want SWO-Nuke I would not reccomend trying for another designator/submitting another OCS package/re-taking the ASTB either.

Just take the classes you need, smoke them out, then apply NUKE. NUKE-SWO quotas are seperate from normal SWO quotas.

AT3Macklin

Commissioned 17 AUG 2012
EM1,
I'm just curtious about the Nuke deal coming from an enlisted standpoint. If I were to apply do you know if you still have to do the interview in Washington where you can get quizzed on just about anything on your transcript? Or is the only requirement to have an appraisal by a Nuke O?