• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

Fastdak25

Pro-Rec'd IW
@MILLSRA​

Am i reading this right? You were just pro-recced on from the August SNA board, and are already recieving a OCS class date? I'm currently on active duty, already got the required security clearance, and have yet to hear from CNRC about any additional paperwork needed. I am really trying to figure out when a I will be going due to my deployment coming up.​

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Are you seriously talking to a commissioned officer like that? You are in the Navy, not just a civilian...you should know better. Plus he is a very helpful guy on this forum. I understand the age issue you have because this was my one shot as well, but I did everything I could to make my package as competitive as possible and if I didn't get selected, then I would apply for another designator. Your attitude is starting to reflect badly on us fleet guys and we try very hard to be professional on here. All of the others that were non-selects took it in stride and congratulated everyone else, you should take note. I'm pretty sure you know the reason you didn't get selected...your package wasn't as competitive as the other pro recs. You probably don't want to hear that, but sometimes you just have to accept the truth and move on. It sucks you didn't get selected, but lashing out on an internet forum will do absolutely no good and could potentially have negative consequences.

I wouldn't worry so much.. His attitude probably followed in his motivational statement and they must've saw right through him. So the it was a good judgment call by the boards to put a red X across his application. It my last time as well.. I still haven't found out if I got it or not, but I'm not going to go pointing fingers and blaming anyone if I don't. It is what it is and if it was meant to be it would've happened. It obviously wasn't meant to be for him or he didn't want it as bad as he thought he did. Otherwise he would of had a steller application.

Idk why he is so butt hurt anyhow.. There is talks of NFO coming around sometime which is just as exciting of a career as pilot.

MGoBrew11

pilot
There is talks of NFO coming around sometime which is just as exciting of a career as pilot.

Where did you hear such talk?

And did whoever say it clarify whether or not April/August NFO apps were still relevant?

It would be real nice if I did not have to redo everything in my application that I did last October.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Where did you hear such talk?

And did whoever say it clarify whether or not April/August NFO apps were still relevant?

It would be real nice if I did not have to redo everything in my application that I did last October.
Someone a few pages back said they heard it from their recruiter.. But as anything it's talk. I tried emailing my processor that exact question to no avail. Next time I talk to my recruiter I will ask all relevent questions and post what he says..

Little late to this party but Pro- req'd SNA!! Over in Germany for Oktoberfest so don't have good access to Internet here. This is a childhood dream coming true.

STATS:
BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Minors in Computer Science and Japanese
GPA: 3.61 Graduated Cum Laude

ASTB: 9/9/9 69
Worked as an Engineer for the Navy at Pearl, as a civilian, for a year and a half now.
Have PPL with just over 43 hours in C172 on app.

Made it through MEPS with no issues.

Other stuff
Volunteer for First robotics competition (mentoring High School kids) 4hrs/wk for 2 months
Omega Delta Phi Fraternity: Internal VP and Fund raising chair for 1 Year.
Loads of scholarships in school
Multiple awards from current job.
Captained a city league Ultimate Frisbee team and play on Club team out of HI.
Interview with Retired 0-5 Pilot
Good reviews from current and past employers.

@Eaglei
It was my recruiter who said there would be an NFO board in OCT but nothing more than that. Also my recruiter e-mailed me the list so if you want me to check your name send me a PM.

mjv305

ENS SNA
Listen you all. I apologize for being out of line with my ranting and raving. It was hard to see that N there. It hurt.. I busted my a$$ and I mean BUSTED to get to that board and making my package the best it possibly could be. Maybe im more upset about not really having a reason why i got that N. Maybe i overlooked something, i would just liek to know why i fell short..I definitely congratulate everybody who was pro-rec'd.. Im sure my bitterness takes nothing away from where they sit now. They are where i wanted to be. With that being said, I did get drunk last night and yelled at everybody, so i guess i moved on from that phase...

On to the future......Is the NFO board in OCT really taking place? Anybody have some advice on what route I can go now? I am going to see if i can set up another interview and maybe get another LOR so i can make a reconsideration package. I am not sure how to draft up a letter and could use some assistance if anybody is familiar..

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
With that being said, I did get drunk last night and yelled at everybody

Sometimes you just have to get drunk and howl at the moon. . . or everyone around you :) Glad to see you're feeling better this morning. As for a reconsideration, If you had time, I would suggest trying for grad school, getting good grades at a couple of classes there, and submitting with those grades. That would show maturity and progress. Though, as you've said, your time is short. How much time do you have left on your enlistment? If you haven't re-enlisted recently, there are options with other services available. Though, I suspect you're dead set on Navy.

I haven't had to deal with the reconsideration process, but I think you're on the right track with setting up a couple of new interviews. If possible, consider revising your motivational statement. Twobecrazy has helped quite a few people with their statements, and if you ask, I'm sure he would be willing to help with yours. If you are able, you may consider going back and re-taking a few of the classes you may have bombed in the past. This may be enough to bring your GPA up higher. Check with your command to see if there are any volunteer opportunities around. Also, if you have been volunteering for a substantial time during your enlistment, consider asking to be put in for the "Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal." This decoration would quickly show that you've been a valuable asset to your community and your command. Lastly, a new eval. that blows everyone else out of the water could also really help you out.

That's the best I can offer, though I'm sure there are some fleet guys out there who have been in your shoes before, and can offer some additional / better advice. I wish you the best, and if there's anything I can do for you, please, don't hesitate to PM me and ask!

mjv305

ENS SNA
Sometimes you just have to get drunk and howl at the moon. . . or everyone around you :) Glad to see you're feeling better this morning. As for a reconsideration, If you had time, I would suggest trying for grad school, getting good grades at a couple of classes there, and submitting with those grades. That would show maturity and progress. Though, as you've said, your time is short. How much time do you have left on your enlistment? If you haven't re-enlisted recently, there are options with other services available. Though, I suspect you're dead set on Navy.

I haven't had to deal with the reconsideration process, but I think you're on the right track with setting up a couple of new interviews. If possible, consider revising your motivational statement. Twobecrazy has helped quite a few people with their statements, and if you ask, I'm sure he would be willing to help with yours. If you are able, you may consider going back and re-taking a few of the classes you may have bombed in the past. This may be enough to bring your GPA up higher. Check with your command to see if there are any volunteer opportunities around. Also, if you have been volunteering for a substantial time during your enlistment, consider asking to be put in for the "Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal." This decoration would quickly show that you've been a valuable asset to your community and your command. Lastly, a new eval. that blows everyone else out of the water could also really help you out.

That's the best I can offer, though I'm sure there are some fleet guys out there who have been in your shoes before, and can offer some additional / better advice. I wish you the best, and if there's anything I can do for you, please, don't hesitate to PM me and ask!

I have a little less than three years on my original enlistment.. Im dead set on becoming an Officer..Navy preferably, but i am definitely open to all branche if they are open for me.. I turn 29 July 12th. Less than 10 months.. Grinding is what has to be done for me to get this reconsideration package in. I currently volunteer at Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, MWR and help with the NMCRS..Not much more volunteering i can do. PRT's are all outstanding...I have no time to improve my GPA..Maybe re-test the ASTB. I will look into that on Monday. No evals will be done before i have to get this in..Not much more than LORS and interviews can be done..I will have my statements looked at by a few more eyes...

Anybody knows what goes in the reconsideration package and the reconsideration letter i woul dhave to draw up?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Anybody knows what goes in the reconsideration package and the reconsideration letter i woul dhave to draw up?

LORs, interviews, and the ASTB are your only chances for a quick resubmit then based on the info above. If you want help with your statement I will be glad to help. Just post it in the motivational statement mega thread because several people will be able to assist you with it. I don't typically recommend this or really prefer people to do this but you can send it to me in a PM.

Marmoset is around here somewhere (thought I seen him a page or so ago) and I am sure he will be more than willing to help you with the reconsideration letter and the details that should be in it. You may just want to send him a PM as I don't know how often he would check around here.

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
They offered me 3 dates today: the end of Oct (forgot the date), Nov. 27th, and Jan 22nd(I think). I took the Nov. 27th Date. Obviously the fleet guys get dates quicker because their medical and security screening is usually complete before they apply, but I wouldn't expect dates too far off from those. I am coming up on the age limit next year so they tried to get me an early date and they will do the same for everyone else who is close.
That's great. A quicker turnaround than I would have expected for sure. From what I'd gathered I was expecting Arpil to be the earliest possible OCS date for selects from this board. Like you said, it makes sense that fleet applicants would get earlier dates... but I guess even civs may get dates b/f April too. My MEPS and security screening have already been completed as well - and I turn 27 in June, so I'd assume they'd want to get me in quicker than 22 and 23 year olds. Do civs usually get offered multiple classes as well? This is another one of those things that we probably won't know until we know, but I'm just trying to get things figured out!

Also, my OR told me that he didn't think they accepted as many applicants as they originally planned to... anyone else heard that? Just curious.

fjauliveld

I have a little less than three years on my original enlistment.. Im dead set on becoming an Officer..Navy preferably, but i am definitely open to all branche if they are open for me.. I turn 29 July 12th. Less than 10 months.. Grinding is what has to be done for me to get this reconsideration package in. I currently volunteer at Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, MWR and help with the NMCRS..Not much more volunteering i can do. PRT's are all outstanding...I have no time to improve my GPA..Maybe re-test the ASTB. I will look into that on Monday. No evals will be done before i have to get this in..Not much more than LORS and interviews can be done..I will have my statements looked at by a few more eyes...

Your original package is still there. Whatever changes/updates you make will be applied to your original application. Probably the hardest thing you're going to have to do is get your CO to write a new endorsement. Like I said earlier, if you receive an award i.e. SOQ, SOY, NAM, MOVSM, these warrant an opportunity to re-submit. You will also have a PFA within the next couple of months, I'm assuming. New PFA scores are enough to update your application. You draft your re-submission letter in Memo format according to the Navy Correspondence Manual. It should state why you want to be re-considered for the board and what changes you have made to improve your application. Include your changes/updates and CO endorsement and submit to the processors in Millington.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
That's great. A quicker turnaround than I would have expected for sure. From what I'd gathered I was expecting Arpil to be the earliest possible OCS date for selects from this board. Like you said, it makes sense that fleet applicants would get earlier dates... but I guess even civs may get dates b/f April too. My MEPS and security screening have already been completed as well - and I turn 27 in June, so I'd assume they'd want to get me in quicker than 22 and 23 year olds. Do civs usually get offered multiple classes as well? This is another one of those things that we probably won't know until we know, but I'm just trying to get things figured out!

Also, my OR told me that he didn't think they accepted as many applicants as they originally planned to... anyone else heard that? Just curious.

No, I don't think civilians get offered multiple dates. I think that is a benefit of being a fleet guy (especially the ones that are getting "over the hill"). I'm sure there will be a wide variation in dates because they usually pick pro recs for 2 different FYs. My guess is first come, first served so get those physicals and security screenings done quickly! They definitely have dates before April so I would expect even civilians to go before then (especially if you turn 27 in July, you'd have to go before April).

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
@MILLSRA​

Am i reading this right? You were just pro-recced on from the August SNA board, and are already recieving a OCS class date? I'm currently on active duty, already got the required security clearance, and have yet to hear from CNRC about any additional paperwork needed. I am really trying to figure out when a I will be going due to my deployment coming up.​
I still won't receive my FS letter for around 3 weeks, so that is normal you haven't heard anything. The only reason they talked to me about dates is because I am coming up on the age max. They just penciled me in, and held a spot on Nov 27. You probably won't need any additional paperwork, you'll just have to wait for the FS letter. If you haven't heard anything at the three week mark, I would call the Fleet OCS processor.

I am glad you got picked up Millsra. I can't believe that you already had the option of going in October. That is a freaking month from now! Thanks for all your insight for this go around. It was nice to have somene on the inside let us know what was up.